2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
I would buy another one!
By clapp6 on 03/14/14 09:28 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After owning this car for 1 year here are my thoughts: 1)Fun to drive everyday 2)Not as much cargo room as you think 3)Breaks a lot! (been in the shop multiple times for bad shocks, replace belts, power steering pump, and many more parts) 4)Good gas mileage but could be better 5)That zoom zoom factor is addicting Simply put, every time I drive this car I fall in love with it a little bit more even though it has it flaws.

Great fun, and reasonably practical
By lurkin on 11/23/12 08:14 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I prefer a standard shift, and so I really enjoy this car. It is the best car I have ever owned, considering it cost me $17k as an "economy car." Great value. Cargo capacity is impressive, comfort is very reasonable, although over time, chintzy interior materials and high maintenance bills disappoint. She eats tires and her tires are expensive; third set within 100k miles at $750 a set. Expensive also was the turn-signal switch replacement with "stealership" labor pricing, as well as a broken motor mount, and failed fuel injector. Downside is, maintenance adds up pretty substantially, IMO. You do pay for the sporty performance eventually. Great fun, versatile and reasonably practical.

Tire issues
By KayakMazda on 07/05/10 06:40 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

So I am having a similar problem, alignments off, and I am not rough on driving. The tires won't last long and I have gone with several brands, they still couple. (sp) I will say Dealership was great with belts and replacement pricing. That was Gainesville GA Mazda. Cheaper than my normal mechanic. shocking.

No regrets! Love this car!
By TM on 08/20/09 20:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After much research, I bought a Mazda3 hatch, LOVE it, decided to write a review since reviews helped me pick the 3. Comfortable ride, though can hear/feel road more than in some cars. 28mpg mixed driving, 36mpg highway on a recent 1,300 mile trip. Engine labored a bit going thru mountains, cruise control liked to rev 5mph at top of hils. Cruise control and audio controls on the steering wheel are great! Some reviews complain about the A/C--comfortable for the front seat, airflow to rear not as good but tolerable. (Change cabin air filter since this keeps the A/C at peak performance.) Nice hatch for extra cargo. Super 'compromise' for a racecar--sporty performance/handling, fun to drive!

Bottom engine protector
By TC in MT on 02/21/09 09:25 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We have torn two under guards off because of the low clearance on this vehicle. As a consequence we have gone with out this under guard and now see some pulleys & belts with wear & tear. My wife and 16 yr old really like it, me? I'm on the fence.

Outstanding Car
By OC on 04/21/08 05:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this in July 06 to replace a gas guzzling Pathfinder. We had 1 Mazda before, an older Protege 5. This does not get the mileage the Pro 5 got (31/35), but that was also underpowered and the M3 has the bigger engine. We have the manual with the moonroof. I put an iPod module in it, and to my surprise you can run the iPod off the steering wheel. We drive a lot, and it's very comfortable on long rides. No road noise, handles great in good and bad weather (Good in New England snow too). If you're worried about safetly don't be. My wife has been hit 3 times and this car is rock solid, surprising for a small car. All in all, very very dependable sporty car. Buy one!

Great car
By vaibhav on 07/30/07 06:17 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great car to have as compared to Civic. Much better in handling and interiors are of superior quality. Its like a mini-Mercedes for $18k.

An Asset
By Hokie on 06/17/07 18:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. Its great in handling, pick-up and fuel mileage. I had Civic and also took a test drive of the new one, but nothing is as good as Mazda3.

Love it with reservations
By Kevin Guyer on 01/09/07 08:37 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded down from a Volvo V40, now the V50 to the Mazda-3S hatchback. While the quality of the interior materials in the Mazda are of a much lower quality. the comfort and ride is far superior. This is a great car for the money. I just drove it from New York to Miami and it was a pleasure. The only problem, and this drives me nuts, is when I'm in 5th gear, every time I put my foot on the gas pedal an audible whistling/vacuum cleaner sound from the engine starts and intensifies as I speed up. The moment I take my foot off the gas it stops. It is awful and I need to play music all the time in order to mask it.

Almost perfect
By Aliona on 11/29/06 08:29 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a compact wagon, Mazda3 seemed to be the best in this class in March 2006. I enjoy driving it, although it aannoyingly falls short of expectations while there seems to be no reason not to make it perfect.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.