2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
A Solid Decision (and lots of fun)
By jpook730 on 06/11/05 11:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great Drive: Handling is superb; steering exquisitely communicative and well weighted,; engine (2.3) sounds great, revs easily, and goes like a Jack Russell Terrier after drinking a bottle of Jolt. Great Practicality: 5 door hatchback is flexible, roomy and comfortable; the cloth seats are grippy, supportive, and firm; gas milage is great (25/32 with the 2.3). Great Future: Highly rated reliability; fantastic projected resale value (best selling fleet car in Europe for this reason); safe; well-built and stylish. Conclusion: An economical, practical family hauler with the soul of a much more expensive european sports sedan (or is that Zoom-Zoom?).

My First Car
By Dav on 06/09/05 18:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

the mazda 3 is my first car. i've researched many cars and found that the 3 was the best... i browsed honda, toyota, nissan, and mitsubishi but found the mazda the best in style and comfort... i got the fully loaded S, all packages, the 4 speed automatic with sport shift mode, and the color is titanium grey.... the 3 is very roomy compared to its competitors, gas mileage is great, and the performance is great (very smooth pickup and cruise driving)... overall the mazda 3 is the best of the compact market! (to Me)

What A Value!
By edweissmanesq on 06/07/05 12:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After looking at other 5-door hatchbacks in the price range (notably the Kia Spectra5 and Toyota Matrix) I test drove a Mazda3. 10 minutes behind the wheel sold me. The 2.3 liter engine with the auto- stick transmission is probably the most powerful 4-cylinder power plant I've ever driven. Nothing in any of the competition came close. The Kia, while good with some low end torque, was noisy and bottomed out at 70MPH; the Toyota was marginally powered in the FWD configuration, and painfully underpowered in the AWD version. Neither of those cars come close to the tight handling of the Mazda3. The interior of the 3, though smaller than the Matrix, is surprisingly roomy and comfortable.

Good
By DB on 05/31/05 11:22 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

With neither the proper (last-gen) Golf nor Focus available, there's not much competition so I'm happy with what I get! The 3 drives well although the handling can be described as 'great' only by comparison to something quite wobbly. The shift is tops but the steering isn't too precise. We couldn't get traction ctrl and/or ABS on our model. This is a top-spec (S) yet the power window has no one-touch up. Having just paid the toll you either hold the window-up button with a line of angry Boston drivers behind you or pull away into the Boston winter with the window open. Plus the buttons are placed too far ahead and aren't illuminated. Please, a few LEDs for 17K!

Nothing compares
By Enthusiast on 05/30/05 21:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Dismissed the Corolla outright because of its appliance-like nature. Civic seemed too unrefined in comparison, and was turned off by so-so reviews of the Cobalt. At this price range, there's nothing that even comes close to the 3. This car is simply superb! The exterior (especially of the hatchback), is distinctive; the interior is comfortable, attractive, and refined. Performance from the smooth 2.3L engine is more than adequate, and it's a joy to row through the gears. Too early to report on fuel economy, but this car begs to be driven hard, so I'm not expecting stellar mileage. Don't take my word for how great this car is - read the reviews by the professionals and test drive it!

Awesome Car!
By Sid on 05/25/05 19:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Sporty, fun to drive hatchback for less than $19K -- what more could you want? I got the car with the sunroof package as well as the safety package, with the 5 speed manual. The car handles very well and accelerates smoothly. The interior of the car feels like it should cost about $5K more. All this with the practicality of a hatchback.

New class
By european on 05/25/05 04:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I looked at the Mazda3 because it is built on the new Ford Focus platform. I owned a 03 Focus and loved the sporty chassis...and sadly the new Focus has not been released in the US yet. When I drove the Mazda3 I was amazed at how accomplished the vehicle was and it definitely has gone up a class into semi-luxury while still being fun and sporty to drive. I travel to the UK frequently on business and read the discerning journalism on cars. The Mazda3 is highly rated along with the new Focus.My experience has supported that and I am now a proud owner of the 2.3 hatchback.

Very Nice
By Underpants on 05/24/05 10:06 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Moving from the world of RWD V8's, I decided I wanted something smaller, better handling for my daily driver. The 3 wagon is a dream, as in its much better than I ever expected. The stick is one of the smoothest I've ever used. The handling is a blast (get rid of the stock Goodyears immediately, they are garbage) and it can haul all the stuff I need for a cross country trip. The build is up there also, I hit a pothole so hard in this thing that I thought the A arm was coming through the front fender, but it didnt. And gas mileage, I routinely get 26 with all city driving (a lot of it heavy footed) and with less than 1000 miles on the odo, I got 37+. EXCELLENT CAR

Utility, sport, and value
By Russell on 05/21/05 01:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I considered a CPO Acura RSX and new Scion tC, but the 3 was the best compromise between the utility, fun factor, and value that I was looking for. The tC was nice, but the interior cannot compare in terms of space, ease of access, or aesthetics. Cargo volume with the seats down was surprisingly similar. The RSX was ultimately just too small; the rear seat is a shelf for packages, not people. I do, however, wish I had the RSX 5-speed auto and the gas mileage and performance that came with it. Be careful if you're considering the 3 largely on price, especially with the hatch model as it starts at 17k and moves past 20k with a sunroof and ABS. Good value, but hardly inexpensive.

Great Experience
By Bryan on 05/20/05 09:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This car has turned a couple 34+ year olds with two children into the youthful spirits we had be yearning for. The car is fun to drive. I have experienced few better handling cars. The 5-door's styling turns heads everywhere we go. Lower the windows, pull back the sunroof..adjust the leather seats, switch to manual transmission mode..turn the 6-disk stereo up and...zoom,zoom.