2007 Kia Spectra Consumer Review: Press missed the boat on this

2007 Kia Spectra - Consumer Review

Spectra5 SX Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Press missed the boat on this one
By John K on

2007 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I believe in best for the money. I had a 2002 Passat before this car and love everyday in my Spectra 5. The car handles great, almost as well as my Miata. The interior is excellent, the seats are supportive and the room is amazing. It feels better built than a Corolla, is faster than a Matrix and has almost as much interior room as my Passat. In crash tests it gets two excellent and two good scores, so Edmund's is wrong in that department. The engine has guts and gets great mileage. I loaded it to where I could not see out the rear window and drove it half way across the country and averaged 37 mpg. Take into account the cost, equipment and warranty and I had no problem deciding to get it

Favorite Features

Better car than the press lets on. Handles very well, responsive brakes, great ride. The room inside surprised my 6+ foot tall friends. Edmund's says the engine is noisy but it has a great 4 cylinder growl when accelerating and its not all that loud. If Toyota sold it the press would love it.

Suggested Improvements

Any car can use more power. It is not slow and with up to 38 mpg on the highway with an auto trans, who can complain? The engine can ping on regular gas at high rpm. I wish I could have found this car with ABS and manual trans (This is my first car with an auto trans). I am extremely happy.