2012 Kia Rio 1.6L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Like the car but gas

2012 Kia Rio - Consumer Review

LX Sedan (1.6L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

Like the car but gas mileage is not there
By talanj on

2012 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

Good little car. Great features. Good price. Good warranty. Good dealer service. Car scoots along good on the highway. By far the best looking car in the class.

Favorite Features

steering wheel controls, sat radio, mp3 radio input

Suggested Improvements

I commute 100 miles round trip every day over 80 on the highway and I have been babying the throttle trying to get the best mileage and the best mileage I've ever got is 32 mpg. I doesn't matter what the computer says I've tracked every drop of gas ever put into it. I bought this car to save gas and it is just not quite what I expected. One other thing I've noticed is that on the highway cruising it seems the tranny shifts alot. I am guessing the 6 speed is just trying to bump up the revs but it seems excessive. Never had a 6 speed auto before so I'm not sure.
By worknman
on 08/09/12 14:38 PM (PDT)

Oue experience is exactly the same. The transmission shifts so much we don't use the cruise control at all. And to get near that 32 mpg,I have to put 38-40 psi in the tires and drive like a grandpa under 65 miles per hour. Using the econ button means you have to push the throttle half way to the floor going up hils but we have to get the best mileage we can out of this car. Really sad,the car is actually a 32 mpg highway and 26 mpg city car. We are done with Kia and any more six speed auto transmissions-back to Toyota,Honda,or Nissan for us.