Beyond Expectations!
By commuter_dave on
2012 Kia Rio SX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)
Having owned mostly German Cars in the past, trading in my 2000 ML for the 2012 Rio SX was initally met with trepidation. I was tired of spending over $500 per month on gas just for communting so I thought I would buy a car with the best fuel economy in its class. I am happy to report that the 2012 Rio SX has far exceeded my expectations. Not only, did this hatchback come with good looks, but the list of standard features should give Mercedes-Benz some cause for concern and to check out what Kia is doing these days. I can honestly say that there is NOTHING that I miss from my ML, except constantly being at the pump, and there is in fact more features here than my Wife's 2005 E500!
Favorite Features
My Favourite feature in this car has got to be the automatic everything. From auto push start, auto Lights, auto climate control, rainsensing wipers, to auto defog, there isn't an auto feature here that Kia forgot to include. The coolest feature is the way you lock and unlock the car, it's on the driver and passenger outside handle in the form of a button and found usually on higher-end luxury vehicles. Another really cool feature is the heated leather seats AND steering wheel. Who puts a heated steering wheel in a sub-compact?!? Excellent Job Kia! The SX includes LED front, mirror and rear lights and really help OTHERS to see you.
Suggested Improvements
Although my first 1500 km has me beaming, there is one significant flaw that buyers should be aware of. The leather passenger seat has no height adjustments and most passengers under 5'-4" will have difficulty seeing over the dash. My wife ended up buyind a custom seat cushion to raise herself. Other improvements that I might suggest is power seats, a sunglass holder, rear armrest console and a subwoofer. I ended up buying a removeable Kicker sub that integrates with the factory system to compensate. I would expect more from a $2K Navigation and sound upgrade. The dimming mirror with compass and homelink should also be part of the premium package as opposed to an accessory upgrade.