Used 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Happy with JEEP
By RSG

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Former Nissan Altima owner for many years. I decided to finally get an SUV and couldn't resist the look and feel of the Jeep Grand Cherokee (4.7 v8). Jeep has a great smooth ride with excellent handling. I haven't taken if off road as of yet but can tell you it handles well both in highway (65 plus mph) and city driving. Interior is very nice compared to others. Some suggestions - larger glove box & change the center console to something a little more user friendly. I was disappointed within the first week I had to replace a faulty chip (car wouldn't drive) but that can happen with any car. I did have to replace the front brakes at 35k but I hear that is standard with Jeep.

Favorite Features

Very nice smooth ride for a SUV. Leather seats, controls on steering wheel are great! Great sound with the stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is fair. could be better. The V-8 will get no more then 16.5 and the V-6 might reach 17.5 mpg. Not the 21- 23 that is shown but compared to others in its class it is ok.

Reliability Questionable
By Suzanne

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have really loved owning my Grand Cherokee but every time I take it for an oil change it costs me money. Nothing seems to be covered under warranty. Hoping I didn't make a mistake.

Favorite Features

Like the looks of the Grand Cherokee Limited and Overland. I like the leather heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

With only 13,000 miles I began to notice braking problems. When I took it in for oil change at 14,000 and ask them to check it out they tell me $600 in new brakes. Absurd for a vehicle with that few of miles. I generally keep vehicles 5 years and never have had to replace brakes. NOT HAPPY.

Rough, Rough Idle
By Paul

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This will be my 4th Jeep and last. Purchased new and ran great for first 10,000 miles. Started to have rough idle problem when in drive. Had 4 different dealers work on it with no luck. They just say V8's idle rough in this vehicle because idle RPM is set too low for lower emissions. Can't change computer settings. What bull! If buying this vehicle used, look for one with at least 15,000 miles. This idle problem does not set in until later. Very smooth running V8 but idle at red lights or traffic a joke. Passengers will ask you whats wrong with your car? Brakes also need frequent work. Only buy this vehicle with a power driver seat.

Favorite Features

Flat fold down rear seats. 10 disk CD changer. Leather power seats very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Engine idle speed at stop needs to be higher RPM. Better brakes. Better city fuel mileage. Really drops from highway mileage. Drops 30%.

Brake rotors
By RSCoyner

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first effort to return to a traditional "American" car after 30 years of buying foreign. I had read that the reliability of "American" cars had improved significantly and nearly equaled that of Japanese. My Jeep evidenced good quality and reliability until it reached 10,000 miles. It then developed problems, such as the need to repair the brake rotors. This was a common problem at this mileage level with older Jeeps, but I thought it had been remedied. Chrysler/Jeep previously warranted them for 3 yrs/36,000 mi. Now apparently the warranty expires at 1 yr/12,000 mi, leaving the consumer with some expensive repairs every 10,000-12,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Except for the reliability problem, I like the Jeep very much. Unfortunately, reliability is important to me, so I would not buy another Chrysler product.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the reliability of vehicles after they reach the 1 yr/12,000 mi level and extend the warranty on items like brake rotors to a minimum of 3 yrs/36,000 mi.

Jeep Realities
By Jed

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this Jeep fully intending to keep it for a long long time. It's a 2WD Cherokee LTD. By 6000 miles we began to experience problems with brake rotor warping and peddle pulsation. It got so bad I was concerned about losing control during braking. The bottom line -- dealer told us to pound salt. Gas mileage horrible for a 6 cylinder (16.9 mpg city). Would NEVER buy a jeep again (or any Chrysler product).

Favorite Features

None. The vehicle and the dealer just irritate me. We paid for our own rotors and installation to avoid another trip to a dealer that could care less about fixing the problem.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the dealer service. "You can't please everyone" is not an appropriate solution to a braking/safety issue. Nor is charging for repairs and service that was not done. Improve fuel economy. This thing is a low tech straight 6 gas guzzler.