Used 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Get the extended warranty
By OverlandMan

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my '03 Overland new in December '02. I really loved the styling as well as long list of standard features. My problems started at around 10k miles with a broken hvac fan motor. The dealer replaced the resistor pack. Almost exactly 1 year later to the date, the fan died again. The dealer replaced the resistor pack again to fix it. 1 year later the heat stopped working for the passenger side; this time it was the blend door, a very expensive repair had the Jeep not been under the original warranty. So to sum it up the dash got ripped out 3 times in under 3 years, which would have cost over $2k had it not been under warranty. For these problems alone I can't recommend a Grand.

Favorite Features

Strong V8, styling, off road prowess, interior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality parts. When will American car manufacturers ever learn?

not good
By 3rd Jeep

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We just put 52,000 miles on the Jeep in 3 years. The first 3 years were great, but as soon as we got to around 49,000 miles the issues started. First the heater went causing the AC and heat to stop ($600 in repairs) and now the car started bucking (as seen in another review) and that's going to cost me around $300. Of course this happens after warranty expires. We've done all the maintenance work, but this sort of things should not happen on Jeep's top of the line car. Not worth it. Get the Laredo for 1/3rd less and save up for repairs.

Favorite Features

Radio controls on wheel, power.

Suggested Improvements

Quality is key, guys. Very disappointed with quality so far.

good but could be better
By Scott

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

It has been a good auto. We have had only one problem with the power window, but it was still under warranty and was fixed with no problems. We previously owned a '95 Explorer. The Jeep has a lot better ride but the Explorer drove better. As far as power they are about equal. We have the 6 cylinder, I would suggest going with the V8. The 6 cylinder's fuel mileage is poor and lacks power.

Favorite Features

Looks.

Suggested Improvements

More power or better fuel mileage for the 6 cylinder. The cup holders need to be deeper, drinks try to turn over when going around curves.

V8 Laredo
By JT Jones

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our second Grand Cherokee. We test drove several other SUV's before buying another Jeep, and decided that the Jeep is just hands down better. We drove an 2003 Olds Bravada, a 2003 Isuzu Axiom, a 2004 Ford Escape, and a 2003 Jeep Liberty, but none of them compared to the ride of the Grand Cherokee. We've had it for 2 months now and have had no problems. Great SUV.

Favorite Features

The 4.7 liter V8 offers plenty of pick up. The seats are very comfortable, and much more firm than the seats in our old '98 Grand Cherokee. Good sound system.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of any.

Multiple Problems - Will never buy another
By j smith

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

What a huge let down. We have had issues with ours nonstop. The check engine light comes on indicating a problem. The dealer charges a diagnostic fee of about $95.00 to tell you why the light comes on. The first time was because the gas cap wasn't tight, the second (about 6 months later) because the gas cap had a crack. Each time at a cost of $95.00. The engine light is now on again (3 months since the last $95.00). My air conditioner won't get cold and the heat won't get hot. This began after 1.5 years. We also had to replace a fan relay at 18 months ($325.00). I was just over my 36,000 mile warranty. I spend less to maintain my 10 year old Toyota! I should have purchased from them again instead.

Suggested Improvements

Get the kinks out or provide a longer warranty (mileage & time coverage) like the other manufactures do. 36,000 and 3 years is not enough for this vehicle!