Used 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Fair ride if you leave it stock - more info below
By Jeff

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have never purchased my jeep, however it was given to me. Several years without an oil change before i was handed the keys.
After adding seafoam in the oil letting the jeep run for 15 minutes, drain it out and add new oil. Runs brand new after over 180K miles.

Till this day im still driving my jeep! now it has over an above stock.
Do NOT underestimate the power of the Inline-6 Cylinder motor. The motors are very durable and extremely hard to bend.
I will be writing this review with some small mechanics advice to all of you if you buy a jeep with an Inline-6 Motor.
And some advice with the issues of the A/C and Heater Defrost only issue and other things.

First off with little motor maintenance. Seafoam is NOT only used for the gas tank. It helps a lot of things out. to keep your motor working in good condition. and decrease daily driving temperature, Put seafoam in the oil when its time for an oil change, Let it run for 15 to 20 minutes at idol after warming up.
Drain the old oil. and change with fresh new oil. (Removes Gunk and sludge underneath the pistons, valves, rods, etc.)

A/C and Heater Defrost only issue - The cause 10 out of 10 times is a $2 vacuum hose underneath the battery tray. There is a valve that soley works for the settings on AC and heater pannel. The hose is cracked or broken and needs to be replaced with a new 1/4 foot long hose. (1/2 inch size i believe)
If you believe this can be the problem. Start the jeep up, pop the hood, and put your head by the battery to hear a hissing noise. Whether loud, or seems unusual under the battery.

Radiator fan cooling issue - If the radiator fan stops working it has to do with a Relay. This relay is underneath the Passenger headlight and My advice to you is buy an aftermarket one from an auto store like Advanced auto parts or Auto zone with a couple years warranty. Mine went out too but it was a $60 fix. Replace myself.

Never experienced any electrical problems myself. But if this is the case for you. Make sure ALL ground wires are properly grounded. Including for lights, Sensors, and your engine computer. (Secure tight, and make sure there is no metal to paint contact, Metal to metal only)

I will advise you that this model jeep includes 2 different types of transmissions. (dont remember the names off of my head) But 1 of the 2 of those has the issues of Electric solenoids overheating or your rear wheel speed sensors are worn out. (Speed sensors are also very important to jeeps) Causing your transmission to shift very ruff with close or above 3000 rpms, making a nasty meddle knocking noise underneath. No matter on how lightly you touch the gas pedal. If it takes for ever to downshift when you need to get on a freeway these can be the same fixes. Even if you made sure properly Adjusting the TV Kickdown cable in the engine compartment.

Window regulators do have a tendency to fail. Make sure next time you replace one. Do NOT put grease all over the wheels and cable. This causes your new window regulator motor to end up off track, bind up the wire, and break.

This advice is given to you based on self hand experiences and these were all 1 time repairs for me ever since.
My jeep is still running strong. and im gaining 32mpg adverage with some weight reduction, and under the hood upgrades.

NOTE: A lot of the stuff the breaks on a jeep is actually lest cost to fix than you think, if you know what your doing. If you dont? there are millions of youtube videos for simple fixes that you think could cost an arm and a leg. Jeeps are way more durable than you think. Go Big, Buy a jeep!

Can't get one like this one anymore!
By ole rooster

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

So sad that Chrysler did away with the 4.0 liter engine. Mine is bullet proof. Have about 115,000K on mine and it still is running perfect. 2nd Cherokee I have owned and I love mine. Fit and finish is good, but the styling is what I like best, it just looks good. A/C still blows very cold and the stereo is wonderful. Power leather seats are very comfortable on 500 mile trips. Wish the fuel economy was a little better. Over all a good SUV at a great price.

Comfort, upright stance, reliable drivetrain, easy to service. Just a good vehicle that does all I want it to do.

MPG that is it.

Never Again
By Kurt

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Cherokee and my last. Mind you, this vehicle spends more time sitting in my garage than on the road. It has been babied all its life and looks like the day it came off the showroom floor. To date, the A/C has been replaced (all components), all the window regulators have failed, the brakes have warped rotors, it is noisy (wind) when driven at highway speeds, the A/C is not blowing cold again, the driver's power seat is broken, all the side mirrors have broken at least once, all the hydraulic lift supports have been replace several times, the clear coat is soft so anything that touches the paint leaves a mark. The list goes on and on.

Would like to say something is good about this vehicle but how can you when every time you turn around you're fixing something on or in it.

Every Gran Cherokee owner will have a problem with the power windows. It is a poor design that Chrysler knows about but is making a lot of money from. The right thing to do would be to have a recall but Chrysler is too cheap to do it. No more Jeeps for me.

Still running great
By jim in alabama

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Coming up on 2 year of ownership and still no problems. Normal mx and just replaced tires. Never added a drop of fluids between changes. I change my oil every 5000 miles and my Cherokee still runs like a top. Jeep did good when they built this one. Leather is still in great shape. All the bells and whistles still work as advertised. Just bought a Liberty for a tow vehicle for my motor home, hope it is as good as the Cherokee.

Ease of entry/exit from any seat. Great sound system, love the steering wheel controls. Cruise control holds speed accurately. Plenty of power from the 4.0 liter engine. Tows my utility trailer very well too.

Could use a little better fuel mileage. Can get over 20 mpg if I run under 70 on the interstate. About 17 is the norm for combined city/highway.

The worst vehicle ever made
By SO UPSET

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

It started w/the Rotors from the day I drove it off the lot.I've blocked it out of mind just how money I spent & the RUN AROUND from the dealership & the corporate. I fixed the rotors (later recalled). When I called corporate they told me it was too late, I'd fixed them. What was I supposed to do, be killed or kill someone else b/c of defective brakes and rotors. Next,the windows;first passenger side - 400.00+ to fix, then the drivers side & one in the back. The blinkers work sometimes & others they don't. The locks only work with the Key remote. I'm too poor to anything about it. I've started (too late) to take tag numbers of other similar jeeps. I have sweat dreams of a Class Action.

So disgusted with the overall that it's really hard to have a favorite

Live up to your warranties - do the right thing by your customers. Don't put the service men on commission & if a customer wants to see the damage to a part - don't tell them it was disposed (while you sat waiting on the car - what did they put it some sort of incinerator? Need more characters!