2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Running Fine
By CTODD92 on 04/07/08 18:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had the vehicle for over 20K miles and have taken it to Iceland and Hawaii without incident. I had to replace the automatic rear hatch lock and the battery (both known problems). However, maintenance and parts was rather simple. The vehicle performs when I need a 4x4 but looks at home stylingwise in town. I am averaging 13.5 mpg in town. I wish that was a little better. I would suggest regular maintenance intervals be met and probably a front brake upgrade and airflow filter kit. Other than that, good used vehicle!

7+ years & still going strong
By naatz1 on 03/30/08 13:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the 01 JGC new and now with 86k miles let our college age son buy into it. Loaded Laredo w/leather, 4l i6 with Selectrac. It's been very reliable: of course we replaced the brake pads/rotors @ 35k and 85k mi (2nd time was planned). Also did seat heaters 3 times but under ext warranty. (liked it enough we just bought a new 07 similarly equipped but 4.7v8 for towing). I follow sched a maintenance & have not had problems, our mechanic says the i6 Selectrac is best SUV ever. I would have rated this one higher except it's now compared to the new 07, not really fair.

Best car I ever had
By Cherokee Mo on 01/30/08 14:24 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it used as I did not care for the body style of the new Jeeps. This car has far exceeded my expectations. I have had it for over 3 years with very little mechanical problems. Mostly only normal maintenance. The car is fun and fits me like a glove. This is my second Grand Cherokee and it won't be my last. I have done a little off roading in it and it handles great!! Very good in snow and ice.

My Second Cherokee
By Joe D on 01/06/08 09:25 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second 4WD Jeep Cherokee. I bought because I had such a good experience with my 1991 (which had over 250k miles on it when I sold it). My 2001 has 90k miles on it and, other then normal maintenance (I change the oil regularly every 3k miles) it has been a great vehicle for me. I plan to keep it for another 5 yrs and will likely replace it with another Jeep.

Good SUV, but lots of minor problems
By Jim on 10/23/07 17:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this GC new in 2001, and really enjoyed it for the first 3 years or so, with just routine maintenance. For an SUV, I'm happy with the MPG at 20-21. I still have enjoyed driving it, in the last few years several minor (and 1 major) problems have popped up. Headlight assembly cracked, causing the inside casing to become fogged. Each of the front power windows have failed (causing the window to slip down in the door. Of course, the first time this happened it was raining, the second time it was about 102 degrees!!! Brake rotors become warped about once every 18mos. Bad catalytic conv. at 90K & replaced tranny at 125K mi. Still fun to drive but the rep.& maint. is really annoying.

2001 Grand Cherokee limited 2wd 4.7l
By jsn on 09/15/07 19:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This could have been one of my favorite vehicles ever. With all the bells and whistles our limited is quite comfortable and the 4.7l v8 is strong in a midsize suv. Rear seats are cramped for adults but fine for children. Build quality is poor. I've had $1600 of work to replace all the a/c blending doors. I've also replaced driver and passenger window regulators as well as one tail light assembly and both headlights due to pitted lenses and driver seat heat element.

Jeep GC Love/Hate
By SM on 07/23/07 13:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The abilities of this car lived up to my expectations. Unfortunately, during the 50k miles I owned it I experienced pretty much all of the problems other people have reported. The transmission was repaired once (wouldn't shift from 2nd to 1st after coming to a stop), warped front brake rotors twice, the hatch lock motor replaced, a window regulator replaced and the driver's seat frame broke on the left side where it bolts to the floor. I bought an extended service policy that took care of the most expensive repairs. The steering wheel doesn't look or feel centered with the seat and you replace the entire door panel if you want a factory replacement for a worn arm rest pad ($400 part).

6 years and still stong
By applebyte on 04/19/07 09:07 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle new and it has been one of my favorites. The styling and ride are great and the reliability has been quite good. Like all GCs of this year, the front brakes were horrible but once the solution was found, I can't complain one bit. The answer to the brake problem is to replace the pads and calipers with a brake kit from the Jeep dealer. Basically it's the same setup found on the 2003 model! I've had this vehicle on long trips and off-road in the woods of Pennsylvania. It has performed very well. Would I purchase another one? You bet!

First Jeep... maybe the last.
By jeepguy777 on 03/28/07 16:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in 2005 with 54,000 miles, now has 101,000. Drives great for an SUV, corners like a sports car. Getting around 18-20 on the highway. Only things have gone wrong are two speakers have blown, both heated seats went out, power steering pump, driveline seal, some interior parts are not quality made. other than those few items this Jeep has impressed me since the day I bought it. Still get looks when I'm driving it. Looks brand new still. Probably will not buy another Jeep, because of the reliability issue.

Satisfied After 20 Months
By fizzle1979 on 03/13/07 18:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this used in June 05 with 59,500 miles. The ONLY problem I have had with this Jeep is that I've replaced the battery twice in 20 months. I drive with my headlights on "auto" and I'm told this drains the battery. Other than that, I'm extremely happy with it. The seats are VERY comfortable. I usually drive 80 on the highway and gas mileage is around 17 mpg but I also have the 4.7 L engine and I put larger tires on it. I've gone mudding in this Jeep and taken it on the beach and still no problems. All electronics still work and no brake problems. I change the oil every 3K miles, however I am not sure what the previous owners did.