Used 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Good Choice
By Joe Koski

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Jeep used with 18,000 miles. This is the fifth Jeep Cherokee I have owned, the second Grand Cherokee, and is the best. The interior fit and finish is exceptional; the car is very well appointed and rich in its presentation. I have had no repairs to date, with the mileage now at 64,000. It has been an excellent car. It gets approx. 16-18 MPG around the city, and 20-22 MPG on a straight highway trip.

Favorite Features

I like the classic looks and finish, and all the accessories and features.

Suggested Improvements

No major considerations.

Love That Jeep
By Mike Wells

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just recently bought my Jeep, and I can tell you that it is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. The acceleration is top notch; it will even keep up with some of the best sports cars. I love the interior. The seats are so comfortable. The controls are laid out well, and I love the steering wheel audio controls. The sound system in the vehicle is almost as good as some aftermarket systems. I really like the body style and love the 17" wheels and tires. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who wants a very competent on/off road SUV.

Favorite Features

The sound system. Steering wheel audio controls. The 4 wheel all time system.

Suggested Improvements

Memory system linked to the mirrors.

Happy W/Grand Cherokee
By scoad

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have over 75K miles and only thing other than normal maintenance needed was a fuel filter at 51K and radiator hose at 68K. Gets far better mileage than the EPA rating and is roomy and comfortable. Could handle better, but it is an SUV. Have heard others complain, but it gets better fuel economy and has been just as reliable as my previous SUV (Toyota 4Runner). Would buy another one in a second. Maybe people have problems due to way they maintain their vehicles.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, reliablity and comfort

Suggested Improvements

Could handle better.

Take your chances
By Dan

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

You are really taking your chances by buying a 2001 Grand. The build quality is terrible. Problems I have had: steering pump and steering column needed to be replaced. Window regulator broken. Electronics nightmare! Gas tank leak. Exterior Jeep logos oxidize along with paint. Do yourself a favor and get an extended warranty. I really think I might have been unlucky by buying this particular Jeep. I've owned two in the past and have never had problems.

Favorite Features

V8 roar, Infinity Sound System (you'll end up blowing the speakers), long haul comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Quality on interior is terrible, electronics systems need work, clunking between Park and Drive and Reverse is loud.

Jeep Should be embarrassed
By KL Cecil

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Sad to say but my Jeep is the worst quality new car I have ever owned. Over a three and one half year of ownership the money just seems to bleed from my bank account. Most of the problems occurred after the warranty period elapsed. However, there were a host of annoying problems even during the warranty period. With only 54k miles on it, I have replaced the blender blower unit, the main electrical unit, A/C cooling problems, and have had 4 sets of brakes. I cannot begin to count the number of times this vehicle has spent time in the shop. Why can't the US make quality cars on par with Asia? Never again will I purchase a Jeep.

Favorite Features

Style.

Suggested Improvements

Quality.