Used 2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Still going and going
By christopherM

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This baby has never let me down. It even ran on little transmission fluid not once but twice. Two great stories. No major difficulties. I have kept the maintenance well and she has never let me down. Multiple trips from DC area to Buffalo in winter and no concerns. Great off road ability not like todays small SUV's (overgrown station wagons) A great reliable vehicle, I'm glad I get to keep it and am upset I have to get a commuter car to save on gas. New brakes at 52000 miles, now have over 117k and no problems, still has original shocks, which do need replaced by now. otherwise, it keeps going. wish new jeeps were this reliable bring back the 4.0 or the equivalent diesel.

Favorite Features

Can go through anything, small enough to cut through places these monsters now wish they could. Hummer who? classic styling, no major mechanical defects, did have an idlying problem that took some time to get it right, but otherwise no concerns. Can pull its weight with the big boys

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. highway is not bad, but I live in hilly suburbs and need a different commuter car now that I'm over 100k and drive 37 miles each way to work.

Built like they used to
By jbarada

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it 2 years old with 55K on it, and now have 125K. I've had no major problems, but have also performed more than regular maintenance on it. Little problems include speaker wires in the joint of the front doors breaking, has happened numerous times, and the drivers window lockout switch going bad, keeps the other switches from working when they should be. I've towed over 5K lbs a number of times, and have taken it off road several times as well and it keeps running strong!! Gas mileage is a little meak at 15 city and 20 highway, but I've noticed that Royal Purple oil inceases it considerably.

Favorite Features

Cast iron block and heads. bullet proof motor. Gobs of torque. Solid front axle. Offroad and towing capability.

Suggested Improvements

More inside insulation to prevent road noise and dash and panel rattles. More back seat room. Bring it back exactly how it was plus these improvements and I'd sure be happy

Why did they stop making it?
By akaskip

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV

Bought this Jeep when my wife was pregnant with our first child. Wanted a safe and reliable vehicle. I got what we paid for and more. My wife loved it. It has been a workhorse for the last six years and now that I have finally got it as my primary vehicle, plan on keeping it for many more years to come. In fact, when it came time to get a bigger vehicle (interior) to accommodate the growing family, we stayed in the Jeep family and got a Commander.

Favorite Features

I like this Jeep, so to pick out one favorite feature is a difficult thing to do.

Suggested Improvements

The only difficulty I have had with the Cherokee is that my radio cannot pick up any stations father than 30 miles away.

Sweet Machine
By Jacked XJ

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This is my 1st Jeep. I absolutely love this vehicle. My friends and I have taken this jeep many many places. From Maryland (my home state) to Fairbanks, Alaska to Tijuana, Mexico. Since those road trips I have put an 8 inch lift with 35x13.50x16 Pro Comp M/T tires on American Racing rims and many extra mods. 4.0 MPI still performs flawlessly after 87,000miles, tranny and transfer case rock solid with Command Trac 4x4 system. I have taken this XJ to Moab and may other places, slammed it up against many other machines never a disappointment.I recently talked my Honda driving wife into an old CJ-7 purchase; she was reluctant at first till she heard that ol' 350 purring under the hood. Keep Jeepin.

Favorite Features

4x4 system. I am 6'"2, about 260 pound farm boy. When me and three of my friends all about the same size can fit with all our camping gear for a week trek or a crazy road trip, now thats saying something about an XJ. Hauls us with little trouble and a pop-up camper with a little down shifting. Love this Jeep.

Suggested Improvements

BRING IT BACK. You can't beat this Jeep. Never again will Jeep create a more reliable, dependable vehicle. Maybe an SRT-8 Ha Ha. I love that straight 6.

Good hunting rig
By MNtrailhunter

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

My XJ has been a good hunting vehicle. With a minor lift and larger tires, It can go through just about anything. It sucks the gas and isn't the best for larger people to be in but it has a lot of cargo area compared to the TJ's.

Favorite Features

Short wheelbase, great approach/departure angles.

Suggested Improvements

Factory 2" lift and 30" tires should be stock.