Used 2009 Infiniti FX35 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific FX35 model:

Sports Car/SUV - A Great Mix
By jah53

2009 Infiniti FX35 SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Handles like a sports sedan (very similar to Adui Q5) but with additional practicality and great view of road. This was a prime consideration for me Great looking (and unique) exterior, beautiful interior - although I would prefer a bit more of the Maple and Aluminum trim, and it could really use some additional leather on the door panels at this price Milage is disappointing - have never gotten better than 22 mpg (and is generally 17 - 18) with AWD. While power is very good - milage is less than my previous M-B E430 4Matic Limited luggage space compared to other SUVs - but this is an OK trade-off since it handles a LOT better than other SUVs Dealer experience is not up to M-B

Favorite Features

Superb handling - very close to sport sedan. Comparable to BMW X3 and Audi Q5. Far superior to Lexus RX and M-B GLK. Surround view camera! All cars should have this feature. Adaptive cruise control. I never used Cruise Control until I got this. Set it and forget it. Fantastic instruments and center console. Fantastic compromise between a sports car and a traditional SUV - totally meets the needs of empty nesters with no children Unique style - not another slab-sided derivitive looking SUV. Interior is far superior to Lexus and M-B. Different than, but competative with BMW and Audi. Easy to use driver interface for touch screen (phone, audio, climate, etc.)

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats are terrible, especially when compared to M-B or Audi. Barely get warm. Needs improved lumbar support for driver and really needs lumbar support for front passenger seat. Needs self openng and self closing rear hatch. Should add Blind Spot warning system similar to Volvo's BLSS Need to be able to input data into touch screen while vehicle is moving - absolutely stupid to have to pull over when a front seat passenger could easily input data while vehicle is moving Would like to see fuel economy get up to at least an average of 22 - 24 mpg (I am averaging 17 - 18 mpg overall; with a best of about 21 - 22 on highway) Transmission lags a bit when accellerating

Not worth even considering
By Dave~NYC

2009 Infiniti FX35 SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Why buy this crossover? I bought it and I hate it. And for solely one particular reason. The transmission! Dear infiniti, you tried and failed miserable on manufacturing a 7 speed transmission. Mercedes can make 7 speeds, Lexus can make a seamless 8 speed, but you infiniti are poor at making a 7 speed. Why does this car shift into 7th gear at 25 mph? Whoever is reading this. this car looks nice, it looks sexy, the interior is gorgeous, but only because of the transmission do not buy it. Consider the BMW x5 or x6 or perhaps the Mercedes ml 350 but please do not buy this deceiving SUV. I miss my m45

Favorite Features

The music box that stores all of your cds for you, I think it has 8 gigs

Suggested Improvements

the stupid transmission, power lift gate, cheap minivans and chevys even have it, make the exhaust as loud as it was in the previous model, make the front seats wider to accommodate drivers over 190 pounds, and place steering wheel radio controls more strategically.

My 2nd FX and Lovin it !
By GLR

2009 Infiniti FX35 SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

If you want a sports car with a backpack this is it! This is our 2nd FX, (Prem/Tech/Nav/RearEnt.). Our first FX was an í06 which my wife and I really enjoyed driving. I did notice the quirks of the new 7-speed but were resolved with the software updates. Having XM/cooling seats/dvd/nav/mp3/rain sensing wipers makes the FX a great cruiser on long road trips, I donít know how we drove long distance without Adaptive Cruise and Lane Departure Prevention they work really well. We drove 900 miles(hwy) with cruise control set @ 75mph & averaged 24 mpg. The technology, maintenance & reliability are simply amazing and are a bargain when compared to its European counterparts. Fun to drive, buy one!

Favorite Features

Fun, unique design, cooling seats, center console design, 360 camera, voice control, Paddle shifters, Adaptive Cruise, Lane departure, Internal HD, XM live traffic, Brake Assist once saved me from rear-ending a car when they had stopped suddenly after cutting in front of me. Reliability & VQ Engine.

Suggested Improvements

GPS works very well but POI DB search needs refinement. Redesign car to add more interior trunk space & storage nooks. Bose needs an EQ. Add larger sunroof. Make standard Blind Spot warning and Plasma Air Purifier. At this price point Damping control should be included with Tech/Touring packages.

Great for the right person
By renelms

2009 Infiniti FX35 SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Very nice vehicle that you will probably love or hate. I have really enjoyed it but my wife doesn't want in it. Throttle and brake responses are a little touchy, the ride can be bad on bad roads but is normally very compliant. Drivers position, height and controls are very comfortable and well placed. Cabin is snug for a SUV but near perfect for the Sport SUV it was designed to be. Not overly impressive in any road comparisons to a car, yet if feels very sporty in every way and is very enjoyable to drive if you need a SUV but want a sports car. Fast or slow I average 20 mpg and have had no problems other than a dealership that seems to think they are the only ones in town. Cool Ride!

Favorite Features

Drivers position and controls are near perfect to me. Feels sporty just sitting in it.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise can be bad on aggregate roads. Nav system would be better if it could split screen with stereo. Needs an electric lift rear hatch and rain sensing wipers if they want to compete in the upscale market.

Review after 3 months of driving it...
By firstandlastInfiniti

2009 Infiniti FX35 SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I have driven the car for 3 months and 3000 miles. I agree with "Rick" - 7 speed tranny ruins the overall experience of owning this car. Shifts all over the place (I have the latest transmission flash) and still show very harsh downshifting after releasing the gas pedal (this initially scared the daylights out of me when it first happened, now I just come to expect it). Only "DS" (Drive Sport) mode returns control to the driver and allows you to get around horrible gear ratios and indecisiveness of the computer as to what gear the car needs. Also, brakes are VERY soft - takes longer to stop and gas mileage is mediocre. No tranny change 2010 so if you consider buying you're warned.

Favorite Features

Exterior and interior design are simply gorgeous. Awesome integration of bluetooth and iPod connectivity with the radio/navigation system. AWD handles great in wet and snowy weather (I have the standard 18" wheels) and climate control works great.

Suggested Improvements

Top priority needs to be on fixing the 7-speed tranny gear rations and shifting issues! Power liftgate would be nice. Better fuel economy is also needed.