Used 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2011 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Great car until 100K mile, now very disappointed
By John

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

All schedule maintenance had been done on my car and despite that.
Right after my 100K warranty ran out in year number 3!
1. Starter failed at 105K miles
2. Engine replaced at 135K miles after usual hwy trip the engine light flickered went off and then followed by engine noise *(knocking or ping).
Other than that great car. I thought this car would have been as reliable as my 2001 Hynadia Elantra which is still running with 207K mile on it.

Crappy, Crappy Car
By Ron

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Hyundai makes absolute junk! I have a 2011 Sonata where the engine completely failed at 61,000 miles with ZERO warning. A quick Google search let me know I wasn't the only sucker that got stuck with one of the worst engines since the Internal Combustion engine was developed.

Let the Buyer beware! Buy this heap at your own risk. You will regret it. I hope the company goes bankrupt.

Look for starter problems.
By rebekahb1

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We just replaced the starter in our 75K mile 2011 Hyundai Sonata. We were told that the starter is a very common problem for this car, and sure enough, what presented as a possible battery problem that was difficult/impossible to jump turned out to be a starter. This is the first and only mechanical problem we have had with the car. Other than that, it is loud on the road and seats are uncomfy for me at 5'4", but it has been a great car. Just be prepared to shell out $500-700 for the starter.

25,000 miles then expect to pay.
By mikeyave

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After 25,000 miles I brought my 2011 Sonata in for service as the engine light was on. At this time I was told I needed new front brakes and tires. I called Hyundai customer service on this and explained to them that I have leased cars for many years and have never had the brakes or tires needing replacement and that one of the reasons I lease every 3 years is so I don't have to deal with the high cost of these kind of repairs. I was told by Hyundai customer service that these repairs were necessary due to " normal wear and tear" my response to them was that I felt this was ridiculous, that if I drive my Sonata normal, after 25,000 miles expect to spend $600 to $700 for brakes and tires.

Have better customer service and either have better tires and brakes or let the consumer know that after approx. 25,000 miles the tires and brakes will need to be replaced.

Competent Family Car
By tristanboy

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Stylish car that needs more substance. Although a good effort, still not class leading. Steering feel is a well known issue for modern Hyundai's. It feels extremely numb. The powertrain is very powerful. Get decent gas mileage around 25 mpg combined. Interior materials are nice although the center console plastics are rather cheap and the blue lighting at night is hard to read at a glance. Owned the car since November 2010. Other than routine service, I had to have the rear-view mirror replaced, the A/C actuator fixed, a new key fob. Fairly reliable and holding up well. Car at 29,000 miles.

Keyless access/push button start. Although on multiple occasions the car did not sense the key. Huge trunk space. Plenty powerful. Still get a lot of compliments on the look and people still can't believe its a Hyundai.

Improve the steering feel and driving dynamics. Engine sounds generic. More features like standard backup camera, because it is pretty difficult to see out of. I find the passenger seat too low. The headlights are pointed too low and don't offer good lighting at night. I hope the next gen Sonata will address these issues.