2011 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Look for starter problems.
By rebekahb1 on 09/09/14 12:42 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We just replaced the starter in our 75K mile 2011 Hyundai Sonata. We were told that the starter is a very common problem for this car, and sure enough, what presented as a possible battery problem that was difficult/impossible to jump turned out to be a starter. This is the first and only mechanical problem we have had with the car. Other than that, it is loud on the road and seats are uncomfy for me at 5'4", but it has been a great car. Just be prepared to shell out $500-700 for the starter.

25,000 miles then expect to pay.
By mikeyave on 09/30/13 11:43 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After 25,000 miles I brought my 2011 Sonata in for service as the engine light was on. At this time I was told I needed new front brakes and tires. I called Hyundai customer service on this and explained to them that I have leased cars for many years and have never had the brakes or tires needing replacement and that one of the reasons I lease every 3 years is so I don't have to deal with the high cost of these kind of repairs. I was told by Hyundai customer service that these repairs were necessary due to " normal wear and tear" my response to them was that I felt this was ridiculous, that if I drive my Sonata normal, after 25,000 miles expect to spend $600 to $700 for brakes and tires.

Competent Family Car
By tristanboy on 06/10/13 19:44 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Stylish car that needs more substance. Although a good effort, still not class leading. Steering feel is a well known issue for modern Hyundai's. It feels extremely numb. The powertrain is very powerful. Get decent gas mileage around 25 mpg combined. Interior materials are nice although the center console plastics are rather cheap and the blue lighting at night is hard to read at a glance. Owned the car since November 2010. Other than routine service, I had to have the rear-view mirror replaced, the A/C actuator fixed, a new key fob. Fairly reliable and holding up well. Car at 29,000 miles.

Great car, poor dealer customer service
By jbartz on 06/01/13 10:18 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Great car overall. Chrome around the grill is bubbling but dealer won't cover b/c the car is 1000 miles over warranty for paint/trim - although it's very apparent it has been that way awhile.

what a pile!
By mike_b4 on 04/22/13 09:38 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

what started off as a great looking, good fuel economy and decent performer has morphed into a money pit. this car was purchased new in 2011 and currently has 73k/miles; it has been serviced only at the dealer and highway driven. the car's stereo screen went out about a year ago and since it was over their "select" electronic warranty, i would have to replace it - cost $800 installed. on top of this slap to the face, the new part would have a 1 yr/12k warranty. if the original factory piece went out after 1 year, then why wouldn't the new one? now the shifter doesn't recognize the vehicle is in park all of the time when you park it. not covered & cost over $300 for a non essential part.

Excellent vehicle
By tecolotelrd on 02/17/13 19:45 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just bought a used 2011 SE with 29K miles and so far I really like this car. It has great exterior design, the interior feels well built and the materials do not feel cheap at all. The features are really nice and ride comfort is great for my standards. The only concern I had was about the left pull I read so much about, so when I test drove this vehicle, I paid the most attention to this. Either the issue was fixed previously or it never had it because at 70-75 mph it never pulled to any side.

hyundai overall fail
By buckeyeclair on 11/15/12 08:22 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

within the first week of owning this vehicle parts started falling off. The interior is cheap and I've had to have the fuel door replaced multiple times. Not only that but after maintaining my hyundai regularly it stalled our of no where (no check engine light, no oil light, no warning) and died. IT was towed to the local hyundai dealer where they said they had to jump it to get it into the service bay then stated they reved the engine and it died. Hyundai is now saying it is my fault for not maintaining the vehicle and they will not cover the cost of the engine. I am now completely with out a vehicle unless I pay over 8k for a brand new engine on a leased vehicle less than 2 years old.

LUVN IT!!
By tinvin on 07/02/12 12:56 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I owned a 2005 Sonata GLS for 7 years & never had a problem with it .I was so satisfied with it I decided to go for another Sonata. I have been looking for a while & came upon the 2011 Sonata I recently got. I love it as much as my 2005 model. Very happy they put the lights on the steering for the cruise, radio, etc. That was a big plus. A very sharp looking car. So far very satisfied with it. After I have had it a while I will repost a review but I don't believe the review will have anything negative. I highly recommend this vehicle. Even going from a V6 to a 4 cyl I am still impressed with the pick up & speed. I look for many happy years with this car! Very HAPPY!

Low Tire Pressure
By kristinadd on 12/09/11 09:49 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car in April of 2011. All through summer and now into the winter, the low tire pressure light has been coming on and I have to bring it into the dealership and have them record it since it is a leased car. They say its because of the weather getting cold but on 80 degree days, I dont believe that at all! Other than that, it is a great car, very big and spacious. Though, very EASY to hit curbs!

disappointing exprience
By kalmanzar on 10/17/11 19:35 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This is my 13th car, have had toyota, ford, honda, subaru, mazda, acura, bmw and now hyundai. Have 20k mi on the car, wrote a review when I first brought it and gave it overall a seven , thought overall it was solid, major complaints where harsh ride, lack of road feel. But liked style, value, power. Now a year and a half and 20k, i give the car around a three. Ride is still way to hard, have had a lot of mechanical issues, a lot of recalls, poor service, build quality is very bad. First one of all the cars i've owned that i could not recommend.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Hyundai Sonata in VA is:

$122 per month*