2011 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
An excellent car so far
By parkerjnc on 12/04/14 11:35 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased this 2011 2.0t several months ago. It now has 50k miles. It is quiet and performs very well, being fun to drive while also getting 30+ mpg. The interior quality of materials are much better than expected for a car at this price point. Will have to see how it holds up over time, but so far very impressed.

Regretting Buying This Vehicle
By tracy55 on 12/01/14 08:54 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Major problems from the start. Navigation/radio total failure. Gear shift stopped working-froze in park. Recently air bag malfunction. Now the engine failed. Burns oil and rod knock with no warning. Need a new engine but Hyundai is initially refusing to back its warranty because I cannot product every oil/filter receipt (sometimes had private mechanic change). Research has led me to an investigation into class action suit for engine failure by Chimicles & Tikellis. Good to know that I am not alone. Hyundai is like the cable company - once you are a customer they don't care. Should have gone with Honda or Toyota and will do so going forward.

Fog Horn Blues
By nodlev33 on 10/08/14 09:44 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought my Sonata Limited 2.4 Turbo new in 2011. Initial pulling to the left was remedied by local alignment. With 36K on the odometer I noticed a foghorn-like sound emitting from under the hood whenever coming to a stop, and when the outside temperature was high. Initially, I suspected the brake system but then happened to come to a full stop, shift into neutral, and increase rpm's. Voila!!! The turbocharger. A couple of days at the local Hyundai dealer, and all was perfect. The problem has thankfully not re-occurred.

Look for starter problems.
By rebekahb1 on 09/09/14 12:42 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We just replaced the starter in our 75K mile 2011 Hyundai Sonata. We were told that the starter is a very common problem for this car, and sure enough, what presented as a possible battery problem that was difficult/impossible to jump turned out to be a starter. This is the first and only mechanical problem we have had with the car. Other than that, it is loud on the road and seats are uncomfy for me at 5'4", but it has been a great car. Just be prepared to shell out $500-700 for the starter.

Couldn't be happier with my decision
By hyundaiowner5 on 09/07/14 08:17 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Wine Interior (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have about 40,000 miles on my sonata and have not had one problem. Aside from replacing the brake pads, that's the only work it's had to have. It will be a sad day when I have to sell this car. I absolutely love how it drives. It is quiet, and everyone who drives it always remarks how great it handles and how fun it is to drive.

Great decision to get my Sonata!!!
By agamez84 on 08/31/14 20:02 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I love my car! I wanted to wait to write a review now It recently passed the 100k mile mark, I bought it brand new on 6/11/2010 and it was one of the first on the road. I received lots of compliments and still do. I have many people tell me how well it rides, comfortable and roomy it is. I commute about 60 mile round trip for work and I average 30 mpg. The car still sounds and runs like new. All around everything has worn well, the steering wheel is starting to show cracks but 100k miles worth of driving and the Texas sun/heat I don't blame it. Only issues I've had is replacing an alternator bracket and a inner fender well. That's it! Well besides basic maintenance. Absolutely great car!

102K miles and still going strong
By luvmelmuch on 06/11/14 19:11 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2011 Hyundai Sonata off the showroom floor with 3 miles on it. I travel for a living so reliability and comfort were king. In addition the gas mileage on my model is still 36 MPG. I got 60k miles on the stock tires and put the second set of shoes on and it is a lot quieter. I have had no major or minor repair issues. I keep the oil changed and tires rotated and it has been great. I hope to hit 200K with no problems.

Was basically told this is a disposable car
By upsidedown2011 on 05/26/14 06:18 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

2 yr old lease well maintained...had problems throughout lease with different check engine lights ...never found cause.eventually would go off by themselves. Car hits 130,000 miles engine shuts off, I'm told it's seized and has electrical issues. 8-12k in repairs.contacted 3 dealerships & customers service. Was basically told by customer service and regional that car is disposable. They provided me a car with a 100,000 mile warranty & they are off the hook. Will not even consider help w/ repairs or the requested assistance or incentive to buy another Hyundai .This was my 6th Hyundai + I recommended at least 6 other people to buy hyundais..NEVER AGAIN ....don't buy Hyundai they dont care

So Far, Very Good
By camilio on 05/21/14 17:14 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I was a Camry guy for years, having two in a row I kept for 9 years. After I started having problems with the brakes (and all the press), I decided it was time for a change. After 3.5 years (I bought the car in August of 2010), and 60,000+ miles, the car has done very well. The only problem was the battery did fail prematurely, but no other issues. The car is a beauty, I only paid 18K for it (base model), has great pickup, and handles a lot better than my Camry ever did!

Buyer Beware
By atmyheels on 05/20/14 19:49 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car has been a huge disappointment: it looks sharp but is not mechanically sound. I purchased the car certified pre-owned just over a year ago with under 30K on the odometer. It has been a series of unending problems ever since: all interior windows must be cleaned every 3 to 4 weeks with rubbing alcohol to remove a greasy residue that continually builds up (dealer does not know the cause), the interior smells similar to a wet dog when it rains, the battery was replaced at 35K yet still occasionally dies, both rear tail light assemblies failed causing the tail lights to stop working, and several rattles developed in the dashboard. This is in addition to two recalls.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Hyundai Sonata in VA is:

$126 per month*