2011 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

2011 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Happy with my 2011 2.0T Sonata
By lorenzos1 on 02/15/15 15:57 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My first Hyundai, 43000 miles and its business as usual. No complaints, no problems. I service & maintain the car at Hyundai's recommended intervals at the dealer. So far my Sonata 2.0T has been fast and reliable. I average around 24 mpg. I love the nav and all the gizmos. Happy!

Worst Car I have Ever Owned
By dchoat on 01/06/15 10:58 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Up until today, I would have told you I was pretty pleased with my Sonata. However, with 85K miles my engine is dead. Driving to work today, the engine started knocking, the check engine light came on, and about 5 seconds later the car just died (while I was driving.) I was fortunate not to be on the interstate, and was able to coast to a safe side road. I am the second owner, so the 100K warranty doesn't transfer to me. I contacted Hyundai Customer Care, and they said sorry, but what do you want me to do about it. The cost to replace the engine is $5700. I will now have a loan for my car, and a loan for my engine. I have read on other sites that the 2011 won Beware of the Clunker Award.

Sonata= let down
By aporter1995 on 01/02/15 03:40 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought used with 35,000 miles about 2 years ago. Within the first year, the thermostat had to be replaced (not covered under warranty). Now, the power door lock does not work on the passengers side and the drivers side window picks and chooses when it wants to work. 05 Honda Accord w 160k still starts easier on colder mornings. This car grinds terribly and takes too long to turn over for a car this new! Nothing but cheap Korean plastic and metal that is like tin foil! Looks good but looks are deceiving! Painted trim on steering wheel is peeling as well. Will be trading for a new Honda Civic or Accord very soon! Wheel well also busted after hitting very small object. Too flimsy!

An excellent car so far
By parkerjnc on 12/04/14 11:35 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased this 2011 2.0t several months ago. It now has 50k miles. It is quiet and performs very well, being fun to drive while also getting 30+ mpg. The interior quality of materials are much better than expected for a car at this price point. Will have to see how it holds up over time, but so far very impressed.

Regretting Buying This Vehicle
By tracy55 on 12/01/14 08:54 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Major problems from the start. Navigation/radio total failure. Gear shift stopped working-froze in park. Recently air bag malfunction. Now the engine failed. Burns oil and rod knock with no warning. Need a new engine but Hyundai is initially refusing to back its warranty because I cannot product every oil/filter receipt (sometimes had private mechanic change). Research has led me to an investigation into class action suit for engine failure by Chimicles & Tikellis. Good to know that I am not alone. Hyundai is like the cable company - once you are a customer they don't care. Should have gone with Honda or Toyota and will do so going forward.

Fog Horn Blues
By nodlev33 on 10/08/14 09:44 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought my Sonata Limited 2.4 Turbo new in 2011. Initial pulling to the left was remedied by local alignment. With 36K on the odometer I noticed a foghorn-like sound emitting from under the hood whenever coming to a stop, and when the outside temperature was high. Initially, I suspected the brake system but then happened to come to a full stop, shift into neutral, and increase rpm's. Voila!!! The turbocharger. A couple of days at the local Hyundai dealer, and all was perfect. The problem has thankfully not re-occurred.

Look for starter problems.
By rebekahb1 on 09/09/14 12:42 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We just replaced the starter in our 75K mile 2011 Hyundai Sonata. We were told that the starter is a very common problem for this car, and sure enough, what presented as a possible battery problem that was difficult/impossible to jump turned out to be a starter. This is the first and only mechanical problem we have had with the car. Other than that, it is loud on the road and seats are uncomfy for me at 5'4", but it has been a great car. Just be prepared to shell out $500-700 for the starter.

Couldn't be happier with my decision
By hyundaiowner5 on 09/07/14 08:17 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Wine Interior (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have about 40,000 miles on my sonata and have not had one problem. Aside from replacing the brake pads, that's the only work it's had to have. It will be a sad day when I have to sell this car. I absolutely love how it drives. It is quiet, and everyone who drives it always remarks how great it handles and how fun it is to drive.

Great decision to get my Sonata!!!
By agamez84 on 08/31/14 20:02 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I love my car! I wanted to wait to write a review now It recently passed the 100k mile mark, I bought it brand new on 6/11/2010 and it was one of the first on the road. I received lots of compliments and still do. I have many people tell me how well it rides, comfortable and roomy it is. I commute about 60 mile round trip for work and I average 30 mpg. The car still sounds and runs like new. All around everything has worn well, the steering wheel is starting to show cracks but 100k miles worth of driving and the Texas sun/heat I don't blame it. Only issues I've had is replacing an alternator bracket and a inner fender well. That's it! Well besides basic maintenance. Absolutely great car!

102K miles and still going strong
By luvmelmuch on 06/11/14 19:11 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2011 Hyundai Sonata off the showroom floor with 3 miles on it. I travel for a living so reliability and comfort were king. In addition the gas mileage on my model is still 36 MPG. I got 60k miles on the stock tires and put the second set of shoes on and it is a lot quieter. I have had no major or minor repair issues. I keep the oil changed and tires rotated and it has been great. I hope to hit 200K with no problems.