Used 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

I'm satisfied
By Hey Sante Fe

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

It's a bit of a putt-putt but it works for me. Acceleration is slowed, nothing like when new but it still works. I usually work close to home so most of my mileage is recreational. That's cool. Handles really well in bad weather, takes a while to warm up but AWD pulls out of snow and ice with hardly a grunt. I've seen this vehicle without AWD almost stuck. The extra height helps me to see more, and makes me feel safer, it's a smaller but not the smallest sized SUV.

AWD is my favorite feature. The extra weight is harder on gas mileage but makes me feel very secure in snowy, icy weather.

couldn't be happier
By rpost

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Good Stuff! previously owned 3 Toyotas and looking for a change. Found an affordable, adorable, reliable mini- SUV. I always admired the look from a far and now I'm thrilled that it's super comfortable,perfect height,solid construction (heavy doors,easy handles,solid accessories). I can fit 2 bikes with no problem and the perks are great (heated seats,cruise,leather)

Comfort, solid, smooth ride,

not sure what maintenance will be yet, however mechanic just inspected it w/ no major issues after 119K miles!

Pleasantly Surprised
By Thomas Lindsey

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle in 2001 just a couple months after the release. Today, I have 89,000 miles on it and I have been pleased with it's performance over the last 7 years. I've been to the dealer for only a few minor problems, the last and biggest was the power steering pump which was covered under my extended warranty. I've been pleased by the total package; AWD, comfort, reliability, performance, etc. I know this car doesn't do any one thing extremely well, but it does everything pretty darn well. It's well-rounded and solid. My only real complaint has been the paint. I feel like the color coat is about 1mm thick. It's fading, scratches MUCH too easily, and no clear coat of which to speak.

Decent AWD, traction control, multitude of features for a small sticker price, roomy for class, warranty 100k bumper to bumper (paid 800 dollars, and it's hit or miss on what's covered...mostly hit though)

Features+low price= hit on build quality. Everything is pretty chintzy interior and exterior. Wheel badges are held on by double sided tape, paint is thin and cheap, interior is basic, plastic that won't hold up to too much abuse, engine is gutless. It's not bad, just not great.

Best Car I've Owned in Years
By SVC

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

In 155000 miles I have replaced the drivers side sun visor, the rear hatch locking mechanism and the drivers side seat heater. That's the end of the list. Our Santa Fe consistently gets 24 MPG highway while delivering a comfortable ride and good handling. This car has been very well maintained so it still looks great and runs great. Probably the most "bang for the buck" that I have ever gotten in an automobile. I expect to get at least another 100k miles on this car.

heated seats, auto dimming rearview mirro, the AWD system has always worked great, surprising amount of leg room in the back seat (even for my 6'- 3" son)

More powerful engine (I know that this has been done in the newer models), softer leather, slightly longer wheel base (improve the ride), better insulation to cut done on the road/wind noise

Not a high quality car for road in Boston
By ambi

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car from 35K mile to 65K mile. It was OK when I drove it in Texas with the smooth high ways. But it has been giving me problems since I moved to Boston. I need to replace the battery, ball joint, rear suspension, master brake cylinder. The CD player always turn it self on/off when I'm driving on a bumpy road, which seems to be everywhere in Boston. I plan to sell this car now after driving in Boston for one year.

Although it has small problems, it never broke down on the road. So reasonably reliable. Good fuel economy consider its weight. Brake pads last forever. Ample cargo space and rear seat space.

Make it more rugged for old roads like the ones in Boston.