2001 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews 4

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
Great SUV
By ralphredwolf on 01/27/06 23:18 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After 97000 Miles this has probably been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I happen to drive cars and trucks for a living and this is one of the best out there. Normally after this much mileage a vehicle has some play in the front end but not this SUV. It is just as tight as the day I first drove it, unbelieveable. If only the USA could make a great SUV like this GM & Ford would never have problems. Buy one,you will not be disappointed.

my santa fe
By santa fe on 01/08/06 13:40 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine used in 2005, it was a 2001, it just needed a new catalytic converter... but after that, its perfect. I have 2 kids, I just LOVE it, its roomy, comfortable, it drives real nice and smooth, like a car just bigger and higher up! I'm so glad I was able to get this car. I hope they stay around for a while so I can get a new one in a few years!

Use Caution
By Could be better on 12/09/05 11:56 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Santa Fe has 72K miles. It has been in the shop too many times to mention for poor performance, sputtering, and no aceleration. Dealer could not fix. Went to a friend - winds up dealer put the wrong cheap spark plugs and wires on. My car had only been serviced by the dealer, and never replaced plugs or wires. No one can explain. Also crank sensor went on fast lane of freeway. Have to replace battery at least once a year. Backtail lights consistently go out but they can not find the issue causing it. Also had to replace console and speakers several times. Paint is completely fading. 100K warranty? What's actually covered for 100K?

Great SUV..Until over 90K miles
By Melony on 11/12/05 23:00 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoyed this vehicle, and hoped it would last a lot longer; I certainly wasn't ready to see it go. I had one of the 89 Hyundai's, standard transmission, and the trans went out at 60K, so I knew it was short lived...I only had it in the shop a few times, and at 97k miles, the check engine light came on again, and I had a gut feeling it was bad. I didn't take it to repair, I drove straight to the nearest dealer and traded in (not another Hyundai). The dealer called the next day wanting to know what the trick was to starting it. Evidently they couldn't start it (I hadn't had that problem) when they went to wholesale it. Long story short, BAD NEWS, the engine evidently bit the dust

Best Ever Owned
By S. Whitmer on 07/27/05 13:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Easily the best SUV on the market for the price. Have owned for 4+ years, no problems. Get 24+ MPG combined w/ V6. Solid build quality, easy to maintain. Hyundai builds to Lexus quality at 1/2 the price.

Best Buy
By Geoff Lamm on 06/29/05 13:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Have had this car for 4 years and not one problem. Use it off road on occasion and performs well. Plenty of room inside. Has met all of our needs at a great cost.

Great small SUV
By Hank on 06/02/05 11:25 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Only one problem since purchase. Crankshaft positioning sensor. Fixed by dealer with no problem within an hour.

Read before you buy
By Josh on 05/24/05 16:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Beware of a problem. the ignition system is designed very poorly. every 20k miles the car needs plug wires and/or ignitoin coils. $200-$550 every 6 months for us. 2.4l engine design is bad. Hyundai does not help except charge us every 6 months for the same replacement parts as they do not warranty these. BE VERY BEWARE!!!!!!

Unrealiable
By Terhi Millard on 05/21/05 16:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle, in Apr 04, when it first came off lease; it had a total of 50K. In Dec I had the altinator replaced by my mechanic. I then had a problem with the vehicle stalling. It turned out that the coolant temperature sensor needed to be replaced, which ended up costing me $107 however, they did replace and reprogram two o2 sensors, since this problem was under recall. In Mar of 05, I again had a problem with the vehicle stalling. I had it towed to my mechanic for a price of $90. It turns out that the right wheel bearing needed replacing. The driver side wheel bearing has now been replaced 3 times. THere is also a burning rubber smell inside. Frustrated

I like my Santa Fe
By NYdriver on 04/28/05 18:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in August 2001 knowing nothing about its reliability. I've been pleasantly surprised. I compared it to the Ford Escape and Toyota RAV. Hands down the Hyundai was more comfortable, and had better handling and a better price. I got the base model, and although I live in Western New York, have never regretted not getting the AWD. It handles great in the snow and on corners. I've had only one minor mechanical problem fixed under warranty. I plan to keep this car for a long time.