2001 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
Awesome Vehicle!
By Lori on 08/05/07 11:16 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV new in 2001. I have kept up with all suggested maintenance, and have never had any problems whatsoever. It looks and drives just like it did the day I bought it. I absolutely love it and will most likely buy another one when the time comes. I have recommended this SUV to many friends who have wound up buying their own and are just as happy as I am. Buy it!

2001 Hyundai Sante Fe GLS
By Barbara on 08/04/07 06:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Next to a B210 (Datsun) I drove for years, this car is built to last! I can't say enough about it.

Check Engine
By Jadejaws on 04/25/07 23:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

No Sante Fe owner can tell me he/she hasnt seen this light WAY too often. Overall not a terrible car, but the interior has cheap flimsy equipment (the steering wheel literally started to come apart in my hands). I am rid of this car now and couldnt be happier about that. Maybe the later models were better, but way too many "out of warranty" repairs were needed on this vehicle. The stated MPG is an outright lie and I was lucky to get 16 MPG most of the time. I can honestly say that of the 6 cars I have bought new, this was without a doubt the absolutely worst one (1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse a very close second).

Best car I got ..!
By dapril32 on 12/09/06 10:31 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Look at this .. after 176,000km on the count. I decided to chage my tire for the first time! They are still good for one summer so I will keep them for next year. The best tire on this thing I never had. No problem at all with this SUV. Did change oil every 5000km, regular maintenance, the closer dealer in my area is about at 200km. Don't need them anyway .. haha The paint still great on it after these years. The one thing is the break that need to be change every 50000 at least. I paid this SUV after 3 years then it's money in the bank! I can't compaint at all ...!

Incredibly loud noise
By Russ on 10/07/06 11:05 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe LX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle deafens us whenever we take it on the highway. Wheel bearings are short lived. The battery has to be replaced frequently. Overall, not worth the money. The dealer is also on an efficiency kick which means that you will pay top dollar for the vehicle as well as service. They are trying to squeeze the customer whenever they can and the auto body shop doesn't provide good quality.

My Hyundai
By Grandma on 09/21/06 12:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my vehicle. I have not had any trouble with it at all until last month.I have made 3 trips to Texas from Wyoming and never had a problem. I keep up with the changing of the oil and always try to keep at least half a tank full of gas as I never know when I am going to have to go out of town for some reason. I can take most of what I need and still have plenty of room for my little sitzu to go. She has plenty of room to get to her bed. I like the way the windows work. The service men at Underridders in Billings, Mt. do the service work on it as they sell Hyundai's however they can't seem to find the trouble I have this time. I hope they can find it soon so I can have my car back.

I Love My Hyundai
By Butterfly04 on 07/01/06 06:32 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I had never heard of Hyundai, but thought I would take a chance and test drive one. I knew that this was the SUV for me when I pulled into my drive way. It is as if the interior of the car is hugging you. You feel warmand cozy. I love everything about my Hyundai and I am looking forward to buying another one in the future.

smart purchase
By brenda carraway on 03/04/06 10:12 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

the santa fe has been a good auto investmet. only problem with vehicle is some reocurrig noise in front drive train or suspension, dealer is having hard time trying to find problem. keep replacing parts but does not fix problem. the excellant warrany keeps me from becoming to concerned at this time,but could become more problematic as warranty period lapses. hope to find solution soon. i do enjoy this vehicle and hope to keep it for many years, i am also thinking of puchasing the new hot sonata. happy to own a santa fe.

93000 miles and counting
By Dean from CO on 02/26/06 15:44 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A fantastic vehicle, never a single problem (except for a software problem that made it stall twice), upkeep is minimal (finally replaced the original tires after 85000 miles), 27+ mpg (even in the city). I can't rave enough about my Sante Fe. Comfortable, fun to drive, reliable, economical, lots of cargo room. Excellant on long trips. I would keep it another 5 years, but have you seen the 2007s?

Great SUV
By ralphredwolf on 01/27/06 23:18 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After 97000 Miles this has probably been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I happen to drive cars and trucks for a living and this is one of the best out there. Normally after this much mileage a vehicle has some play in the front end but not this SUV. It is just as tight as the day I first drove it, unbelieveable. If only the USA could make a great SUV like this GM & Ford would never have problems. Buy one,you will not be disappointed.