Used 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Not as good as it seems
By ed

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car about two years now, at the begun everything seem so be ok but problemas started.. alternator need to be change, two transmissions sensor were bad so all the transmission blew up, then the time chain, the radiator have a leak, the factory alarm fail, the ac compresor fail... everything fail in order all this in abour 2 months, i like the feel of the car but to me at least kia wil not be a brand to recomend i have own 4-5 GM cars and thay have had the same problems but maintance end reapairs are lot cheaper

Favorite Features

the engine feel power

Suggested Improvements

Lot of things... resume.. quality

Good all around
By DISA27

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Haven't experienced any of the previous stated problems. Probably because I perform regular maintenance and treat it like an AWD V6 SUV, not Formula 1. I don't beat on it too much, occasional off-road fishing trips performs awesome in the mud (minus the 9 in of ground clearance. Decent gas mileage 20-24 with mixed driving and K&N flat filter.

Favorite Features

sturdy leather, monsoon sound (cd/cassette separate tweeters not crap coaxial). AWD and rev happy engine.

Suggested Improvements

Autostick shifts are sluggish, too much body roll when turning. Noisy at speed.

A great vehicle for us
By hoverfish

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this one at 125K km, now has 205K. We've replaced only wear parts so far. It's a little underpowered for my liking but it did pull a u-haul trailer through the Canadian Rockies just fine.

Worst Ever...Horrible!
By SSK80

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Santa Fe for almost 3 years now...and have had NOTHING but problems with it!! I have had to replace/repair so many things it's not funny. It has ranged from electrical issues in the engine (multiple), the cruise control had to be disabled at one point or the transmission got stuck in 1st...now it's a power steering issue. I am dumping this thing as soon as humanly possible. Hyundai was NO help at all of course, non-transferrable warranty and all that.

Favorite Features

It does have a decent sized cargo area for being a smaller SUV. When it runs, it's not a bad ride at all...it doesn't run all that often though.

Suggested Improvements

Stop selling them? Warranty options for more than one owner...

Worst Suv Ever
By B-E-N-I-T-O

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Well stating I have only had my Santa- fe for a few months now I must say I will never by another Hyundai ever again. The santa-fe is built cheap compared to other foreign models. The parts are extremely expensive. Parts are not high quality, transmission have many problems. Heated seat got so hot it burnt a hole in my drivers seat, center-console it very cheap plastic. Has left me stranded 3 times now and with a nice Wrecker bill also.

Favorite Features

The Awd

Suggested Improvements

Everything, these are the worst vehicles ever made. I'll for sure never by another Hyundai ever again.