Used 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Love this vehicle- two year second owner
By Dan

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe LX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I gave a lower reliability score because a front seal Transfer seal setn out and led to having to replace the casing, not a cheap fix. I'm second owner to the warranty was not valid for me but the dealer/manufacture kicked in for a third of the cost. I don't understand the lower ratings on "performance" but my 2.6 v6 really gets with it when merging into a fast freeway on ramp. It is really fast which surprised me on the test drive for an SUV. This vehicle has 8o,ooo on it when I bought it and the previous owners had kept really good care of this rig, it was like new and still is and, unlike the new models it still had the combo CD/cassette radio and a rear window that opens (love it).

Driving characteristics. Handles really well and has plenty of power. Seating comfort and for a smaller SUV the rear seat is one of the easiest to access and plenty of foot room for your passengers.

Cannot think of any real improvements, this model even has the DVD player and as an AWD we ran it through the snow up to the winter cabin with out so much as a slip, really sure footed. For the new models (08-09) I would suggested they put the CD/cass and the rear opening window back in the package

Not as good as it seems
By ed

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car about two years now, at the begun everything seem so be ok but problemas started.. alternator need to be change, two transmissions sensor were bad so all the transmission blew up, then the time chain, the radiator have a leak, the factory alarm fail, the ac compresor fail... everything fail in order all this in abour 2 months, i like the feel of the car but to me at least kia wil not be a brand to recomend i have own 4-5 GM cars and thay have had the same problems but maintance end reapairs are lot cheaper

the engine feel power

Lot of things... resume.. quality

Good all around
By DISA27

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Haven't experienced any of the previous stated problems. Probably because I perform regular maintenance and treat it like an AWD V6 SUV, not Formula 1. I don't beat on it too much, occasional off-road fishing trips performs awesome in the mud (minus the 9 in of ground clearance. Decent gas mileage 20-24 with mixed driving and K&N flat filter.

sturdy leather, monsoon sound (cd/cassette separate tweeters not crap coaxial). AWD and rev happy engine.

Autostick shifts are sluggish, too much body roll when turning. Noisy at speed.

A great vehicle for us
By hoverfish

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this one at 125K km, now has 205K. We've replaced only wear parts so far. It's a little underpowered for my liking but it did pull a u-haul trailer through the Canadian Rockies just fine.

Worst Ever...Horrible!
By SSK80

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Santa Fe for almost 3 years now...and have had NOTHING but problems with it!! I have had to replace/repair so many things it's not funny. It has ranged from electrical issues in the engine (multiple), the cruise control had to be disabled at one point or the transmission got stuck in 1st...now it's a power steering issue. I am dumping this thing as soon as humanly possible. Hyundai was NO help at all of course, non-transferrable warranty and all that.

It does have a decent sized cargo area for being a smaller SUV. When it runs, it's not a bad ride at all...it doesn't run all that often though.

Stop selling them? Warranty options for more than one owner...