Great little commuter / light traveler
By vivaster on
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6M)
I spent many hours researching cars and test driving them, found this little Accent to be the most roomy, efficient new car you can buy for the money. My criteria was it had to be able to carry 2 adults and two car seats (2 kids). Zippy enough to take over the pass loaded. The trunk is roomy enough for weekend trips. I was able to get mine for $13,600 + fees for a base model. The manual transmission is very slick and the clutch is very light. Low wind noise on the freeway. Handling feels tight, but still soft over bumps.
Favorite Features
My car gets between 32mpg (75% city, 25% hwy) and 38-40 mpg (99% hwy). It's nice to have heated mirrors for this winter. Engine is a timing chain, less maintenance. Belts, hoses, tune-ups are easy to access and parts are inexpensive.
Suggested Improvements
Steering on the highway annoyingly wanders alot (tire pressure around 30psi helps). Cheap O.E.M. tires doesn't help with the wandering and road noise, although the road noise is better than other cars under $15K. Got a new full size spare wheel and tire from the tire store for $110, 21mm lug wrench + jack + jack wrench from wrecking yard for $25 and the bolt to hold the spare still in trunk from amazon for $15. Found a roof rack(Rola) for $230 to mount a cargo box for extended trips. Only option I wished I had was cruise control, but I won't need it for driving along the pacific coast. This car also needs more than one 12V power socket