2012 Honda CR-V Consumer Review: Battery and AWD issues

2012 Honda CR-V - Consumer Review

EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Automatic)

Battery and AWD issues
By sdhanson on

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We have two cars - a RAV4 and a CRV. Pretty much identical vehicles except - The AWD handles like rear wheel drive when driving in snow. The rear end wants to come around when cornering on snowy roads. The RAV doesn't do this. I much prefer the RAV when driving on snow. The battery goes dead about twice a month. I had the battery and alternator checked by the dealer and was told everything is "OK." The alternator does not charge at idle and if all your trips are short your battery will go dead. Carry a battery pack and put it on a trickle charger once a month. This is a HUGE shortcoming to me! PS I live in a very cold region where we can go months below 32 degrees.

This is a Honda. It is well made. Everything is tight and works as designed.

Fix the battery system so it doesn't go dead all the time in cold weather. Upgrade the heater so it can heat the car.
By slavik2014
on 01/10/14 08:34 AM (PST)

Had the same problem with my 2012 EX-L - replaced the battery 3x in a year. Dealer couldn't figure out what was going on either.