2012 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Battery and AWD issues
By sdhanson on 01/01/14 22:23 PM (PST)

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We have two cars - a RAV4 and a CRV. Pretty much identical vehicles except - The AWD handles like rear wheel drive when driving in snow. The rear end wants to come around when cornering on snowy roads. The RAV doesn't do this. I much prefer the RAV when driving on snow. The battery goes dead about twice a month. I had the battery and alternator checked by the dealer and was told everything is "OK." The alternator does not charge at idle and if all your trips are short your battery will go dead. Carry a battery pack and put it on a trickle charger once a month. This is a HUGE shortcoming to me! PS I live in a very cold region where we can go months below 32 degrees.

First and Last Honda
By milkshake on 11/29/13 18:03 PM (PST)

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car to replace a loved but worn out 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Drove a 2012 Kia Sorrento, a 2012 Chevy Equinox, and a 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (which was really my 1st choice) in addition to this. Settled on this because of the price and because it had the most space of any of those cars. This was my first-ever brand new car purchase. I've never loved this car, and I was never truly excited about it, but I've come to totally hate it due to how uncomfortable it is. You feel every bump, pebble, and crack in the road. My dad has been a truck driver for 40 years and has complained about how uncomfortable it is. Owned less than 2 yrs, looking to trade or push off a cliff soon. Mistake.

Bad electrical system.
By shinhoo on 11/07/13 16:37 PM (PST)

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Car has had a lot of issues with recurrent dead batteries. Strange since the car otherwise works fine, but having to jump start car every 2-3 weeks. Found out that there was a software glitch that affected the way the car was charging the battery, required an update under Honda service bulletin 12-041, this has apparently been a common issue. However, even since the update, have had to jump start 3 times. Have taken to 2 different Honda dealers, they have no idea what to do. They are telling me to drive with the radio, lights, fan, etc. all off. Quite absurd.

We've got a stubborn rattle
By sgilbert on 04/25/13 01:32 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We wrote a review just after purchase about a year ago and were extremely happy with the CR-V. However, several months ago it developed a rattle inside the rear seat in the headrest supports. They ordered a "part' to fix it, but it didn't fix it. It's most irritating, but to fix it will require "opening up" the rear seatback. The opposite side headrest in the same seat does not rattle. I think the headrest support hardware inside the seat may just have some loose screws, but the service manager has been waiting a week for Honda to OK opening up the seat to fix it. If they wont fix it, it leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. The rest of the vehicle is of very nice quality.

Not up to expectations
By trollinthebox on 03/20/13 18:42 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Generally, I like the car. I see only one problem with it, mileage per gallon. On city/highway combined it makes 21 MPG, about the same as my 2006 RAV4. Economy mode doesn't do any good, just slows down the acceleration. Unfortunately, fuel economy is a big selling point, and it's disappointing. Other than that, it's nice car.

We love our CR-V EX!!
By sgilbert on 10/03/12 03:37 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We purchased our silver CR-V EX in June and now have 5500 miles on it. We took it on a 2400 mile trip, which included 3 days of driving around Denver, and for the entire trip got a terrific 32.1 mpg driving between 65 -70 mph. We find the vehicle to be of very high quality in design and manufacture. Haven't been back to our dealer for a single problem. We love the tight solid body, the backup camera, the handling, and my wife loves the maneuverability aound town, as well as the ease of lifting the rear hatch. Some have said they'd like more power, but we find performance to be quite adequate. We really couldn't be more satisfied with the vehicle. Fit and finish are excellent.

Wow!!!
By gladys29 on 09/12/12 08:28 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

It's what I was looking for and more! I love everything about it. It's beautiful, drives smooth, comfortable, spacious. I have two kids and shop at bjs so I need some room, kids love it, so much room to stretch out in and enough for bjs run and a few other stores:) thanks Honda, You've done it again!!!

Our third Honda CRV
By harvest on 04/02/12 14:26 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We've had our 2012 Honda CRV EX for about 2 months now and have put about 3000 miles on it. Compared to the 2004 CRV we previously owned it is quieter, rides smoother, looks more modern, and has more electronic features such as hands free bluetooth for your cell phone. We chose it over a 2012 Toyota RAV4 because the CRV had more comfortable seats and my wife, as the primary driver, liked that there was a flat space between the seats to put her purse (or even stuff it down in the storage area between the seats). The fabric on the seats is softer than the coarser RAV4 fabric. We had one long trip and got 28 mpg at 70 mph but around 31 mpg at 60 mph on rural highways.

Enjoying it and Loving it
By anydia on 01/14/12 22:04 PM (PST)

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my new CR-V Friday the 13th, but it turned out to be my lucky day. I am very pleased with it. I upgraded from a 2003 CR-V. Today I took it for a long drive (2 hrs away) for my hockey game. It has great cargo space for my gear and the seats fold easily. The ride was smooth and quiet. Seats felt comfortable even after the long drive. I used the Econ mode, but I didn't notice a difference in performance. I have received many positive comments on its looks because there aren't any basque red color CR-V's around here yet. I ordered a spoiler which will be added later next week for a sportier look although it looks fine the way it is and that's just my personal preference.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Honda CR-V in VA is:

$124 per month*