Used 2012 Honda CR-V EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

After 3.5 years, finally realized I like this car
By Michelle

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I had a Mazda CX-7 prior to this purchase and had SO many mechanical issues. They all seemed to happen right after I went over 60k, so they weren't covered by the warranty, go figure. I was anxiously waiting for the 2012 Honda CR-V to come out so I could get rid of it and say hello to reliability! I bought the CR-V in January 2012 and have just finally realized that I REALLY like it. Took me long enough! Coming from a turbo-charged engine, it was somewhat disappointing to drive at first. Very little pickup and I felt like I couldn't even get out of the way. Had to adjust driving style, but I just kept reminding myself that I no longer had to worry about it not starting or breaking down on the side of the road...trade-offs. I had Bose speakers in the CX-7, and the sound system was also less than par comparatively, although decent for what it is. The bluetooth was a nice new addition and the back-up camera is awesome. I had the battery issue everyone else seems to have, but it never completely died on me. It took a while to turn over a few times, which worried me because of the CX-7 fiasco, but it always started. We make periodic long drives so maybe the battery was able to get a good charge then? When I took it to the dealership for regular maintenance last winter, they told me I needed to replace the battery because the charge was really low. I didn't replace it b/c I thought they were just trying to upsell me something I didn't need. I mean really, who needs to replace the battery after only 2.5 years and 40k miles?! I wasn't aware of the battery issue 2012 CR-Vs were having at the time... At my last oil change they did a software update to fix the issue. I haven't had any problems, but then again, it's summer, I guess we'll what happens as it gets cold again. That brings me to the AWD...or rather, the RWD, since that's what it feels like. I haven't gotten stuck in the snow yet, hopefully never will, but when driving in the snow it feels like the rear-end wants to come around and it's a little scary having to compensate. And, DO NOT drive it in sand...we DID get stuck in sand, even after letting air out of the tires. We finally had to almost completely deflate them before we got traction and were able to get out. Overall, this is not an AWD vehicle, I tried. :) If you want that, I suggest buying something known for that, just be prepared for the gas mileage to adjust accordingly. The cargo space with the seats folded down is incredible. My family moved this past summer and I was able to do much of the small stuff on short trips. It fit so much stuff that I was more concerned about the weight limits than I was on the space available. Overall, this is perfect for what we need and the gas mileage is pretty good. On long trips we get 30-31 mpg and city I get about 24-25. Just what's advertised. I plan to keep it at least until our 10-year old starts driving...she can take it and then I will probably get something with real AWD capability and low gas mileage. :) Hope this review helps in the decision making!

Battery and AWD issues
By sdhanson

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We have two cars - a RAV4 and a CRV. Pretty much identical vehicles except - The AWD handles like rear wheel drive when driving in snow. The rear end wants to come around when cornering on snowy roads. The RAV doesn't do this. I much prefer the RAV when driving on snow. The battery goes dead about twice a month. I had the battery and alternator checked by the dealer and was told everything is "OK." The alternator does not charge at idle and if all your trips are short your battery will go dead. Carry a battery pack and put it on a trickle charger once a month. This is a HUGE shortcoming to me! PS I live in a very cold region where we can go months below 32 degrees.

This is a Honda. It is well made. Everything is tight and works as designed.

Fix the battery system so it doesn't go dead all the time in cold weather. Upgrade the heater so it can heat the car.

First and Last Honda
By milkshake

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car to replace a loved but worn out 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Drove a 2012 Kia Sorrento, a 2012 Chevy Equinox, and a 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (which was really my 1st choice) in addition to this. Settled on this because of the price and because it had the most space of any of those cars. This was my first-ever brand new car purchase. I've never loved this car, and I was never truly excited about it, but I've come to totally hate it due to how uncomfortable it is. You feel every bump, pebble, and crack in the road. My dad has been a truck driver for 40 years and has complained about how uncomfortable it is. Owned less than 2 yrs, looking to trade or push off a cliff soon. Mistake.

The backup camera is great, and I love the variable angles on it; the straight-down view is fantastic for parallel parking. Gas mileage is great; the worst I've ever gotten on it is 24 mpg, but I've also gotten up to as high as 32 mpg on the interstate. The space in the back is amazing: I've been able to get a wheel barrow in and a treadmill, neither of which would ever have been able to fit in the Tiguan. Backseat leg room is ample. The fact that you can pull a handle and get the back seats to completely lay down has been my absolute favorite thing about the car: completely effortless.

Bluetooth phone is a pathetic joke; you can hear the caller but have to scream to be heard. Power outlet in the center console is a major failure. At least front passenger's window should be auto up/down, if not all 4 windows. Gas lever is in a horrible location. Ride is horribly rough. Front seats are miserable: all-manual adjustments; the bottom part of the seat tilts down, putting constant pressure on the hips and tailbone. Lumbar support is non-existent. Worse yet, the sides of the seat curve up around your legs, "hugging" you. Seats have got to be hard plastic with the cheapest foam material ever. Back glass should lay flat instead of curving; is horrible for accurate depth-perception.

Bad electrical system.
By shinhoo

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Car has had a lot of issues with recurrent dead batteries. Strange since the car otherwise works fine, but having to jump start car every 2-3 weeks. Found out that there was a software glitch that affected the way the car was charging the battery, required an update under Honda service bulletin 12-041, this has apparently been a common issue. However, even since the update, have had to jump start 3 times. Have taken to 2 different Honda dealers, they have no idea what to do. They are telling me to drive with the radio, lights, fan, etc. all off. Quite absurd.

Stylish on the inside, and practical.

This car is quickly becoming a big paperweight.

We've got a stubborn rattle
By sgilbert

2012 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We wrote a review just after purchase about a year ago and were extremely happy with the CR-V. However, several months ago it developed a rattle inside the rear seat in the headrest supports. They ordered a "part' to fix it, but it didn't fix it. It's most irritating, but to fix it will require "opening up" the rear seatback. The opposite side headrest in the same seat does not rattle. I think the headrest support hardware inside the seat may just have some loose screws, but the service manager has been waiting a week for Honda to OK opening up the seat to fix it. If they wont fix it, it leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. The rest of the vehicle is of very nice quality.

30 mpg highway gas mileage. Nice looking. Smooth shifting transmission. Fun to drive (before the rattle).

Front seat comfort, for me, is marginal due to the short seat cushion which does not support me "under the thighs" very well on long trips.

• SUV