Used 2003 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Reliable but Cramped Leg Room
By Tom

2003 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My CR-V is a great car for someone who is less than 6 feet tall and doesn't want to go off road very often. I am 6' 2" and cannot drive it on long trips because the leg room is cramped. Also, the AWD uses an open transfer case with open axles, meaning you really have one wheel drive. The CR-V is great for urban moms who want a large rear trunk area. Very reliable and good gas mileage, great build quality.

Favorite Features

4 cylinder engine, which is rare in a SUV.

Suggested Improvements

More front leg room, locked transfer case with limited slip rear axle, (like the Ford Escape and Chevy Blazer)

Disappointed in Ontario
By G Davis

2003 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Recently traded my 2000 Pontiac Montana for a 2003 Honda CR-V. After 3 years of constant repairs on the Montana I was so excited to own a "reliable" vehicle. Well, last week the compressor in the air conditioning unit went and I now have to fork out $1500.+ to replace it. I am very disappointed. I have owned several Hondas and they have always been reliable & reasonable to maintain. After reading the reviews, I may just fix it and sell it as this seems to be an ongoing problem. Heads up, Honda. The North American car manufacturers have let the buying public down horribly with their poorly designed and built vehicles. Don't follow suit! Gas mileage also not as good as expected.

Favorite Features

5-speed transmission, handles well, AWD

Suggested Improvements

Air conditioning design, please!!!! Or a longer, more comprehensive warranty. Improve gas mileage.

Best idea I every had
By craftyhorse

2003 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I use to own a truck and needed something that can haul people and stuff and get good gas mileage. This little car has it all. I even pull a trailer with 5 people in it and still get about 23 to 25 mpg. I get about 27 to 29 with the right gas and drive the speed limit. Does tight turns very well and I love to show that off. After I bought one, my parents needed a tow vehicle and ended up buying the 2007 edition.

Favorite Features

Making tight turns and all the storage places in that car are my favorite. Not to mention the table that actually came with the car.

Suggested Improvements

Don't know what i would improve on just wish i bought it a couples of years sooner.

Piece of JUNK!
By Michael

2003 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have less than 53,000 miles on my 2003 CR-V and have spent over $4,500 on it in the past 8 months. New AC, new struts, new ABS brakes, new emissions controller, new SRS controller and more. And of course, all this started happening very shortly after my warranty expired.

Favorite Features

Body style

Suggested Improvements

Reliability needs drastic improvements. Parts need to last much more than 50,000 miles. MPG needs improvement. Increase leg room.

Super Reliability
By ibjcus

2003 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this 5 years ago and have had very few problems. The cheap tires that came with it had to be replaced after one year. We have also replaced the backup light switch and a relay for the blower motor. We just replaced the rear brakes at 105,000 miles but the front still had some life left. Gas mileage isn't great at 23-26 mpg. Great in the snow once the original tires were replaced. This car won't win any races and if it does the gas mileage will really be poor. However the engine is still pretty powerful up in the mountains with a full load, and you can pass confidently on the highway. Super maneuverable in parking lots and tight spaces. Very noisy on the highway.

Favorite Features

Snow traction, maneuverability, Sun roof, driving position

Suggested Improvements

Cheap tires, road noise, gas mileage, better sound system