Used 1999 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Buy the 4 cylinder / Manual!!!!!
By Dan S. in MI

1999 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in '01 (it's now 06) and I am very happy with the value. I have experienced no powertrain issues, as are common with automatic transmission models. I average 32 MPG on highway. 4-cylinder has plenty of spunk. The ride leaves a bit to be desired. Engine noise noticeable - air noise noticeable - not as smooth as my 16 YEAR OLD Lexus LS 400. Very easy for my local $40/hr mechanic to work on - or if I'm feeling brave I have tackled a few issues. Plenty of room in engine compartment to manuver. BUY THE 4 CYL!!!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is great - manual transmission seems bulletproof - original clutch - controls are logical / easy to use. 4cyl has plenty of power. Honda USA provided good support for out of warranty claim - fixed problem.

Suggested Improvements

Power accessories are sub-par. 2 out of 4 power locks no longer work (which means security doesn't work) Better wheel bearings needed (went out at 50K.. typical, but Honda should be better) minor paint chips. Radio underpowered.

I have the scoop on Accord vs. Camry
By Greg

1999 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have purchased 3 new 4cyl Accords (83,90,99) with absolutely no mechanical problems, we drove the 83 60k miles, the 90 134k miles and the 99 we drove 84k miles. But lets face it...Honda and Toyota know what they are doing. I have also bought 4 New Toyotas. Averaging 100k miles. Neither car is perfect but both do as advertise..reliable, clean lines, great value, good size,good resale, low maint. cost. The 99 accord is great but does have excessive road noise (Camry's are significantly quieter). The 4cyl Accord has plenty of power...I like to zip around and cruise at 75-80mph on I- 5. Anyone that says they need more power must have the thing loaded down and going straight up a steep hill.

Favorite Features

Reliability, quality material/feel, handling, visibility, not too big or small (I am 6'2" -220#). Ergonomics and common sense engineering.

Suggested Improvements

Less road noise, upgrade stereo, get the driver higher off the ground.

Keep shopping
By Cynthia

1999 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought a 99 Honda Accord EX V6 Engine, three months ago. When I bought the car it had 64,000 miles. Less than 2 months later the transmission went on me...what a headache when you are 200 miles from home. There has also been several recalls on the vehicles ignition switch. Even after having the ignition completely replaced, my key would get stuck in the ignition...another headache. I brought it back to the dealership 4x for the same problem. Finally, or so I hope, they have pin-pointed that when the tranny was replaced, the gear shifter was not aligned properly (???) which caused the key to get stuck. Let's see what happens. In any event, I am frustrated with all the problems I have.

Favorite Features

The only feature I do like is the sunroof and audio volume keys on the steering wheel, whoop-ee!

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats...Also, I feel like I am sitting on a mountain as I am driving, the seats are so high up even when adjusted to the lowest manual setting.

Driving Ms. Honda
By MRV

1999 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I bought my '99 Accord EX 5-speed new and have changed the oil every 3K miles and kept up with other routine maintenance. When I did my maintenance I only used Honda parts and found everthing to last tremendously longer than the OEMs. Second set of front brakes lasted 70K, back 77K. This was my second Accord...some thief liked my '96. This car is worth every penny I and the insurance company paid...I currently have nearly 100K miles and I still get awesome gas mileage...29 city/36 highway...better than the guesstimate from Honda. Oh yea...every once in a while I think about getting rid of it but then I get in it and am reminded why I love it. And at $3.00/gallon, the mileage can't be beat

Favorite Features

Mileage, mileage, mileage!

Reliable Car
By gyori

1999 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan

I was looking to buy a reliable car. I did my research and the Accord seemed like a good bet. I was right. So far, the only problem I've had is the alternator went bad. I change the oil every 3K miles and the car performs well. The leather interior is very comfortable. The auto temp air conditioner is great and very cold. Unlike, most cars I've had, this car hasn't had the "little" problems (interior falling apart) that come with time. Everything is where it's supposed to be. The handling could be better, but it is a family sedan after all. Overall, I'm very happy with the car.

Favorite Features

Interior comforts. Reliablity. V6- 200hp engine.

Suggested Improvements

The stock sound system get a 3 on my 1- 10 scale. Fuel economy-17mpg.