Used 2010 GMC Acadia Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 GMC Acadia - Consumer Reviews

2010 GMC Acadia

View reviews for a specific Acadia model:

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!
By K

2010 GMC Acadia SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Let me start by saying this is my second Acadia. I LOVED the car that much that I went and bought another one. I currently own a 2010 GMC ACADIA WITH 85000 miles on it. I have always kept up on regular maintenance when needed. Recently my check engine light came on and would go off. So I took it to GMC and the code they came up with was P0008. I was told that more than likely it is a TIMING CHAIN? I said okay, is this covered up the Power Train Warrenty? No.. your 5 year mark was up last April. I was then informed the 2008, 2009 models have had these issues and GMC covered them but decided not to cover the 2010's. I asked how much is this going to cost me? He replied and said around $4,000. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Terrible engine
By Margaret DeSiena

2010 GMC Acadia SL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Timing chain stretched. Leaks all over the place. Steering needs to be fixed. Back window won't go down . Air conditioner problems among many other problems. I would never buy GMC again!! Not under warranty any longer only 80000 miles in the car and the repairs will cost me 7000-8000$. I do not recommend !!

Completely unreliable and poorly designed.
By Peter

2010 GMC Acadia SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

After years of import ownership, we proudly decided to try American one more time. Detroit was back, everyone said. Fulfilling our patriotic duty, we purchased our 2010 Acadia used about 2-1/2 years ago for my wife. First, what sold us:

REAR SEATS: No other SUV in its class made good use of space in the back. The availability of a 3rd row, 2nd-row bucket seats, and the easy, one-handed maneuverability of those seats was one of the biggest selling points to us (we had a kid on the way). It's a mid-size SUV that allocates space as if it's a large SUV or minivan.

GENERAL STYLING/COMFORT: At a glance, and during a test drive, the look and feel of the vehicle struck us. It doesn't drive like a truck. It's a smooth, comfortable ride. And it's sharp.

Why we'll never buy American again:

UNRELIABILITY: I cannot overstate how a) unreliable the Acadia is, and b) how difficult and expensive it is to repair. It was engineered in such a way that routine maintenance is not at all routine, and minor to moderate repairs are major. For example, if you need to replace a headlamp (a 20-minute job on most vehicles), you must loosen the wheel well cover, the bumper cover, and the grill and surrounding trim before you can even access the headlamp. That's dozens of bolts that must be removed or loosened just to change a bulb. A peristent A/C leak plagued our vehicle for two summers until it was determined the coil needed to be replaced. A moderate repair on most vehicles, this one cost us about $1600 and two days in the shop (the coil inexplicably must be accessed by removing the dashboard). We've also had endless problems with the front suspension and linkages.

The Acadia is in the shop every 2-3 months, on average, for problems big and small not counting routine maintenance like oil changes. For comparison, my German-made vehicle is in the shop 1-2 times A YEAR. We spend many hundreds (if not thousands) more maintaining the Acadia than our other car. The conventional wisdom that American cars are cheaper to maintain no longer applies.

And then there are the recall notices stuffing our mailbox. But you already knew about those.

In short, Detroit is not back.

Do not buy this car 2
By Erica

2010 GMC Acadia SLE 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Cannot comment or add to my original review, so I'm adding another one.
I posted my review in October, 3 days after we got it back with a rebuilt engine, the motor was losing oil, bear in mind there was never an oil light, but we checked the oil every other day, we took a 2 hour trip, then had to drive another hour to help a friend, apparently that was just too much for the engine, in that time it had used up the oil and simply died on a random country road. Spun a bearing. Second motor in 6 months.
No one will rebuild or sell this motor because they can't warranty it, it's such poor quality. I'd like to add that the traverse, escalade, Acadia, and enclave all have this motor. I won't be buying any of them either. When we get another motor in this car we will be taking it directly from the mechanic to be traded in. I'll have at least 6 grand added to the cost of a new vehicle, if I get the average trade in value for this hunk of junk.

Do not buy this car
By Erica

2010 GMC Acadia SLE 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I searched for an suv to fit our family, looked at 14 different models, Acadia had it all. However, a week after I bought mine, one owner used, 108k miles, the alternator went out at $300 bucks. Two days later, it left us stranded when the timing chain guide broke, another $1800 and a month at the shop. I got it back and drove it 2 months before the engine blew because oil was not getting to the top of the engine. Had to borrow $4k, 5 months in the shop, got it back a week ago and currently have a check engine light, we are 4 hours from home. In addition to a recurring tire pressure Guage light, stabilitrack, and abs lights. I'm beyond upside down in this ridiculous thing. And is not at all dependable. These are just the big things, the DVD player quit 3 days ago, among other little things. Do not buy this car.