Used 2008 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great car
By albie

2008 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

great little car, bought it with 65 miles in it, now has 51,000. No problems at all, oil change every 4,000. miles, second set of tires at 35,000 miles got cheap ones from walmart, still handles great, no problems at all, will but new one, when I get it payed off.

Favorite Features

40 plus mpg on highway..

Suggested Improvements

bigger cup holders

At 30 K starting to get worried
By UH oh

2008 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 1st us car but took the plunge. At 1st noticed the acceleration seemed off but I figured perhaps this was an us car thing (hesitation&jump). At 20 k tune up was told the transmission fluid was low (hmm). At 30 k tune up asked them to check transmission & said acceleration led 2 hesitation (bad 4 hwy merging) gears were fixed under warranty. Noted raw gas odor and rotten egg odor abt 10x in yr in stop/start city traffic. Listened to svc mgr mumbo abt computers&catalytic converters reconfiguring then he mentioned other complaints about the rotten egg smell. Sounds like bad computer programming 2 me? Will this last 20 yrs like my Nissan or Toyota? Hmm. I pray to the ceo at Ford. Help.

Favorite Features

lots of cute things and hi tech stuff that doesn't help reliability which is all I care about. Gas mileage pretty good so far.

Suggested Improvements

car trunk open button.Better materials on gears and transmission? A longer warranty on the transmission w/ no increase in price?

Great small car
By howard

2008 Ford Focus SE 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It has been a great small car. Fun to drive, great gas mileage and well made. We have the manual transmission and it is very smooth. The only thing I miss is another way to open the trunk aside from the key fob. We had no problems and just change the oil. We would buy another one.

Favorite Features

Sync and great fuel mileage. It has reached 35 MPG, but usually about 30- 32 city and highway. It's quiet too!

Suggested Improvements

A release for the trunk other than just the key fob.

Quality Control
By SteveKrause

2008 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car from the beginning had problems, I have taken the vehicle in for window problems the carpet from the beginning would not stay under the door trim piece. I always hear noises from the front end until one day the transmission goes out. I have read other reviews of the same problems.

Favorite Features

The gas millage is nice it got 35 mpg however if you figure the cost of new transmission gas mileage does not go that far.

Suggested Improvements

Get a better quality control.

Problems before 30,000 miles!
By S

2008 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Expect problems before your 30,000 miles are up. I'm a great driver, no tickets, no accidents, and I take great care of my car. I was tricked into buying two of these cars and the first one's transmission dropped. It was at 30,000 when the second one started having gasket problems leaking transmission fluid. The struts are starting to seep but they won't fix it because they technically don't consider it a "full leak". Pieces simply fall off, such as buttons etc. For no reason. Poorly made car, and Ford is a shifty company.

Favorite Features

Its small frame is easy to park. It gets good miles on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Stop trying to cut corners and make a better product.