Used 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

More than expected
By CAFFN8D

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

With the understanding that the Focus was an econobox, I purchased one new from dealer in summer of '05. After 4+ years ownership, it has performed without fail and has proven itself to be a very capable daily commuter, with occasional weekend duties as a hauler. I drive 45+ miles daily, and feel quite comfortable with the amenities it has. I especially enjoy the small footprint yet torquey responsive engine. I can zip easily throughout traffic, yet blend in as necessary. The hauling capacity is quite surprising for such a small car on the exterior. People at my landfill have expressed their amazement at how much I can fit in the back. It's very durable and capable - I recommend it.

Torquey engine, amazing hauling capacity, chain-driven cams, nearly maintenance free engine (just change oil/coolant). I don't have to spend a lot of time on maintenance - that to me is a big selling point. Appearance is subjective - to me it's a very clean design.

It is an econobox so the interior is below what you'd expect in the average car. That said, the plastic could be made softer. Also, stiffen the suspension up a bit on the base model and include a rear swaybar.

So Far So Good
By Deesan

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive 110 miles round trip for work every day, so I needed something that got better gas mileage than my full size Dodge pickup. The price on this car was way too good to pass up so I bought it. Anyway I set the cruise (installed after market) between 75-80 mph and I get 30-32 mpg. I figure that is pretty good for the speed I drive. In the couple of months I have owned the car I have not had any problems (knock on wood). The seats are comfortable and it drives pretty smooth. My only complaints so far are the road noise and the headlights. The noise isnít too bad but could be quieter. The headlights are terrible, not bright at all.

Gas mileage

Brighter headlights. Quiet the road noise

My Baby!
By ariana

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I plan on keeping this car for the next 50 years! I've had no problems with it at all, and the gas mileage is fantastic on the freeway. The EPA estimate is 35 HWY for my model, and on my last trip I got 34.8, while going 70 or more with no AC. No mechanical problems at all, and it's compact size is great for maneuvering in Los Angeles. The car costs nothing to operate besides the $19.99 oil change I get religiously, and gas.

Gas mileage, reliability, price.

It's a bit noisy inside, and my plastic wheelcovers squeak. City driving gas mileage is less than EPAs estimate of 27. It probably gets in the low 20s, but this is in LA traffic.

2005 Focus
By anonymous

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new for $11,000 under the Ford employee-discount sale. It's roomy inside, even for the rear seat, and it's practical and fun to drive. Early on there was a problem with the manual shift linkage that took a few tries to be fixed properly, but there haven't been any other troubles with the car since then. It's a very nice car for the money.

The price was the best aspect. I also like the handling and rear seat space.

I'd like to see better gas mileage. It gets about 30 mpg in primarily rush hour, but for such a small car with a manual transmission, I'd have wanted higher. The telescoping wheel that was on a higher-end model I test-drove would also have been nice to have on this base model.

Ford Focus
By Meghan

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car in Nov. 2004. I had to take it the dealer to have transmission work. There was a transmission leak due to (slip boot cover?) had to be replaced. Transmission also had a rumbling noise when car reached speeds of over 35 mph. Apparently, the transmission was sitting on the axle and they had to take out the whole transmission and reposition it. I am glad I had the warranty to cover all of the repairs. Sometimes it is hard to shift (clutch gets stuck).

Good fuel mileage, good trunk space for the size of the car.

Make seats more comfortable, quieter interior when reaching speeds over 30 mph.