2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
More than expected
By CAFFN8D on 01/12/10 09:23 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

With the understanding that the Focus was an econobox, I purchased one new from dealer in summer of '05. After 4+ years ownership, it has performed without fail and has proven itself to be a very capable daily commuter, with occasional weekend duties as a hauler. I drive 45+ miles daily, and feel quite comfortable with the amenities it has. I especially enjoy the small footprint yet torquey responsive engine. I can zip easily throughout traffic, yet blend in as necessary. The hauling capacity is quite surprising for such a small car on the exterior. People at my landfill have expressed their amazement at how much I can fit in the back. It's very durable and capable - I recommend it.

So Far So Good
By Deesan on 05/05/08 22:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive 110 miles round trip for work every day, so I needed something that got better gas mileage than my full size Dodge pickup. The price on this car was way too good to pass up so I bought it. Anyway I set the cruise (installed after market) between 75-80 mph and I get 30-32 mpg. I figure that is pretty good for the speed I drive. In the couple of months I have owned the car I have not had any problems (knock on wood). The seats are comfortable and it drives pretty smooth. My only complaints so far are the road noise and the headlights. The noise isnít too bad but could be quieter. The headlights are terrible, not bright at all.

My Baby!
By ariana on 04/15/07 16:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I plan on keeping this car for the next 50 years! I've had no problems with it at all, and the gas mileage is fantastic on the freeway. The EPA estimate is 35 HWY for my model, and on my last trip I got 34.8, while going 70 or more with no AC. No mechanical problems at all, and it's compact size is great for maneuvering in Los Angeles. The car costs nothing to operate besides the $19.99 oil change I get religiously, and gas.

2005 Focus
By anonymous on 07/01/06 06:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new for $11,000 under the Ford employee-discount sale. It's roomy inside, even for the rear seat, and it's practical and fun to drive. Early on there was a problem with the manual shift linkage that took a few tries to be fixed properly, but there haven't been any other troubles with the car since then. It's a very nice car for the money.

Ford Focus
By Meghan on 11/16/05 14:02 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car in Nov. 2004. I had to take it the dealer to have transmission work. There was a transmission leak due to (slip boot cover?) had to be replaced. Transmission also had a rumbling noise when car reached speeds of over 35 mph. Apparently, the transmission was sitting on the axle and they had to take out the whole transmission and reposition it. I am glad I had the warranty to cover all of the repairs. Sometimes it is hard to shift (clutch gets stuck).

Fun Little Car!
By Gretchen Huiras on 10/31/05 16:11 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my little car! It's super to drive in the city and comfortable to ride in on longer trips. I can drive for two weeks straight without having to go to the gas station, and for a single person, it is the perfect size. It has enough power that I can run the AC with minimal affect to the engine or gas tank. It has plenty of room for three people to sit comfortably, four being a little tight, but it is possible. It has been very reliable with only the 3000 mile check-ups bringing me to the dealer. It does well in both hot and cold weather and handles well in wet weather as well. As it doesn't snow in Savannah, GA., I can't comment on that. The stereo is wonderful. It's a fun car.

Focus ZX3
By scionandfocus on 09/20/05 20:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Took delivery of the second-least expensive version of the Focus available less than a month ago, a ZX3 S manual with air conditioning. With incentives, it had a no-haggle price of $11,062 (plus taxes, tags, and dealer charges). Toss in the car's roomy interior and great ride and handling, and the car seems like a winner. However, since we took delivery of the car, a problem with the manual transmission has appeared no fewer than five times, requiring three trips to the dealer that have yet to solve the problem. Hopefully this and any other problems with the car aren't widespread. Shoppers: it's worth counting on that to get what is probably the best small-car buy out there.

Still the Most Bang for the Buck
By micweb on 09/12/05 19:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned four ZX-3's - a 2000, 2001, 2003, and the current 2005. The 2000 was buggy but way ahead of its time on handling and packaging. The current model is still ahead of the pack on handling and performance, returns good gas mileage as well, and is a reliable car. If you like to be involved in driving, and are on a budget, this (ZX3, S trim with aircon, stick shift) is the car for you! The current 100,000 mile power train warranty adds to the sense of security. I was able to buy a 6 year, 60,000 mile bumper to bumper Ford extended warranty for only $600. All of my Focii except the 2001 have been stick shift.

U-Bet-Cha!
By Dusty on 08/13/05 16:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Sporty, Quick and a blast to drive, and handles like it is on a rail! what more can you ask for?

Careful if you buy a manual 2005 ZX3
By Jennifer Reidy on 07/09/05 23:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car, took it on vacation and on the way home, the brand new clutch burned out on a Saturday. On Monday I was told the part was on a national backorder. It would be weeks before it would be ready. I was 800 miles from home. My dealership was awesome. They got Ford to pull the part off the assembly line. The reimbursed me up to a $1000, but not for my missed time at work which cost me another $500. I love the car, but I will not buy another manual after this.