2001 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews 3

2001 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Good basic truck
By jrm on 10/18/08 12:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

120k miles, only minor problems. Have replaced the clutch and a set of tires (original brake pads still going strong!). Mazda 5-speed is not a smooth shifter but has been a solid gearbox. V6 is noisy and doesn't have a lot of power but seems to be a solid little engine, no issues with it at all in 7 years/120k miles. Did have a lean condition due to upper intake gaskets, but that was easily fixed in an afternoon with $60 of parts.

Not bad if you like rust.
By sebhmb on 07/18/08 18:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this truck new because we had a family and needed to haul horses too. It performed great! Never any problems but at about 5 years old we noticed the doors were rusting. Since we'd purchased a lifetime rust protection warranty and had it inspected yearly we returned to the dealership who said they had no responsibility and should go to the company who made the rust inhibitor, although we purchased it through Ford. Nope, nobody claimed responsibility. At our car show we spoke with Ford reps and that got some action but they all claimed that after 5 years, they had no responsibility...although the truck only had 45,000 miles and was kept inside - always!

Good, dependable light truck
By HerbInMN on 07/10/08 20:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Our F-150 has been a very good pickup and has been very reliable. It has only required one non-wear item repair and that was a burnt out spark plug coil. Otherwise it has been bulletproof. It has a 3.55 rear differential so it gets OK mileage (14/16). The 5.4 engine and drive train is very strong and it can pull much more than one would one expect. Snowmobiles, 20 ft boat, 38 ft rv trailer, bobcat on a flatbed, no problem. Just add electronic break controls, turn off the overdrive, and you're good to go. Its a great trip mobile too, but the gas bill gets a little high on long trips.

Big Positive Surprises for Me
By MustangGT on 04/14/08 18:21 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

XLT short box. It just keeps on running. Now past 120,000 miles and I started with 12,000 so I got my money's worth. One set of tires, another coming up soon, 3 batteries, one super set of brakes, better check on them again too. But that's it, in 108,000 miles except for the 30 oil changes. 17 mpg with the a/c running. 19 mpg driving real nice without the a/c. Great truck that just keeps surprising me overall with reliability. Had one ton in the bed once, the nose was up, but I made it the 12 miles needed. If there is a bad point, I don't like it in the rain. It's a squirrel. As long as its dry, this truck has surpassed my expectations.

Good old truck
By ray on 04/14/08 09:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

This is the 2nd F150 I have owned. This truck has been very good to me. The only problem was the recall on the crusie control. The truck has pulled my fifth wheel ever since I bought it. It pulls it very good. The last truck I had a 96 f150 was also very good to me. I also pulled with that one from day one. No prblems after 145,000 miles when I traded for this one. This truck is a lot better than my 2000 Chevy S10 I have. Piace of junk that one. I would tell anyone to buy a new F150 if they got a chance.

Great Vehicle
By Chris on 01/05/08 15:53 PM (PST)

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have had the pleasure of owning this vehicle for the past two years and have enjoyed every moment. On top of its performance and reliability I am constantly getting complements on it. Its a great truck and would recommend it to anyone comfortable driving this big of a truck.

I love this truck
By hot_temprd on 11/13/07 10:06 AM (PST)

2001 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab SVT Lightning 2WD Flareside SB (5.4L 8cyl S/C 4A)

I purchased my Lightning about a month ago, trading in my 03 Mustang GT. Needless to say I love this truck. It hauls all necessary cargo and really moves. The poor little import guys around town have no idea what to do when I pull up next to them at a redlight or when I close a 5 or 6 car length gap when the fly past me like I'm standing still. My only gripe is the fuel mileage with the price of premium well above 3 dollars a gallon. Other than that, its a great ride. It hugs the curves just as well as it handles the straights. Overall, Ford has a winner with this truck and they need to build a 3rd Gen ASAP.

Can't hardly complain
By Cameron on 10/01/07 12:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is great I have already put over 35000 miles on, and the truck still drives great, at 106k miles. I did replace some coils and an alternator, but for an 8 year old truck, that isn't too bad! The interior is super comfortable, spacious and road noise is very quiet. I have also pulled some heavy loads - I can say the power is still there. I pulled a loaded 7'X12' Trailer, and the only reason I slowed down was to be safe going around corners. The truck is solid on the road, absolutely not squirrelly like other brands I have driven. I hauled grass with my brother in law who drives a Tundra. When we were done, he said he'd never do that to his truck again. Not the case here!

F-150 rocks
By jjj on 08/27/07 09:53 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat 2WD Styleside LB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Never had a day of trouble with it. Looks great with high quality fit and finish. People still compliment me on its great looks!

Excellent!! A+ for Ford
By David on 06/17/07 19:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This truck has been great ever since we bought it new. We didn't buy it for gas mileage. We needed the interior room plus hauling. We looked at Chevy crewcabs and the Ford was less expensive. It drives great and is comfortable on long trips. That's why it has so many miles on it, 102,873. It has been to 9 states for vacations or just weekend trips. I used it last year to pull 6 bushes out of the ground. We have two kids now and they love the truck too. Even with gas like it is we drive the truck more because our car is'nt big enough for all our stuff. No major problems. We had one spark plug coil go out. Regular maintenance and still runs great. Overall good experience.