Used 2001 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Ford Makes the Best Trucks
By Akgirlie

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck after my 00' Chevy Silverado just kept giving me problem after problem! I had an F-150 before, and it didn't take me a year to trade it in for this one. I live in Alaska, and I need my 4x4. I love how reliable it is, even hitting 9 years old. I've had yet to have an engine or transmission problem on either of the ones I've owned. (this one has 107k, my old one had over 165k) I love how the bed is heavy enough that I never bother to put weight in the bed and I feel completely in control in blizzards and bad street conditions. Built Ford Tough is absolutley the truth!

Interior and exterior design, towing capability, it would be amazing if you got this truck in a spot you can't get out of, the power of the Triton 5.4 V8, the amazing heater!

Turing radius could be improved a little bit.

Keeps on going
By nick

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used with 54000 miles on it. It has severed me well. It has 178000 on it now. The trany went at 101000. After 75000 you should keep a extra ignition coil in the garage, you will need it. The 4x4 is amazing, I have never been stuck anywhere,and I go off road alot. She hauls an amazing amount of weight. I was looking to replace her,but I will hold on until the last heart beat.She's just that good.Change the oil every 3000 and trany 30000 and she'll treat you right.5.4L rocks, I can get 18 mph if I drive normal. It usually gets 16 mph.

4x4 on the switch, cabin room, power,ease of maintainance

Easier access to heater core.

Great Truck
By Doug Mc

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XL 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

This is the 2nd new Ford F150 I have owned. The first was a 1990 model and I drove it for 11 years and it had 200,000 miles on it when I traded it in. I have had this one for almost 9 years now and its up to 180,000 miles and still running great. It has had normal maintenance plus a couple of little hiccups along the way, but overall a great truck and fun to drive. I have the V6 model and since I don't do any heavy towing, it is fine and the acceleration is great. I love sitting up high and seeing the road.

I like the comfort of the front seats - very comfortable for me since I am 6'-1 tall. The leg room in the backseat behind mine when I am driving is not that great, but for kids its fine. The finish both exterior and interior is very good. I have kept it washed and waxed and it looks new today

The gas mileage on the V6 is not as good as I would have expected - anywhere from 15 mpg to 18 mpg.

not bad but could do better
By motogirl

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck to haul the bikes, camping and some off roading (after owning a Jeep Wrangler a truck cant off road) I was looking for a Tacoma or Titan, my friends dad owned a lot and got me a great deal on this F150. i haven't had to major of issues but every time i give it a good wash a spark plug blows, then every time i get the front brakes done a bolt backs out when I'm in motion thank god its a quick catch and nothing bad has truly happened while i have been driving. the gas mileage is ridiculously horrible I'm lucky to get 10 miles to the gallon. The stereo volume will go up when you turn it down and down when you turn it up.

i love that it is a big truck and i can easily put 2 motorcycles in the bed, the comfort on long road trips

motor, fuel, sound systems

Still satisfied after all these years
By atwowheelguy

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new. New transmission at 160,000 miles. 174,000 miles on it now. Front brakes twice and rear brakes once. One electric window motor replaced. Throttle body cleaned twice. Uses a quart of oil every 4,000 miles. Original alternator and water pump still going strong. Interior looks good except for the rubber cover on the brake pedal. No rust. Exterior looks good except the normal parking lot dings after 8 years. Plenty of room for grandchildren and motorcycles. Reasonable gas mileage for such a large, comfortable vehicle. No complaints here.

Lots of comfortable room inside. Bed extender is very handy.

I'm sure the newer models have lots of improvements. I just have no compelling reason yet to sell this one and get a newer one.