Great Technology and great car
By 53stephen on
2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
Purchased in Oct 2012 and have approx. 5000 miles on the vehicle as of this posting. I am 6'2" and fit just fine in this car. I love the fact that I can cruise up to 40 miles (depending on temp and speed) without having to use gas. This translates to 0 carbon emissions probably 75% of the time and the cost for electric versus gas in my area translates to 85-90 MPG at current premium fuel costs, so you can't beat the efficiency of the battery power. On long drives the car is smooth and comfortable. I would recommend leasing this vehicle - when 3 years are up - the technology will probably have advanced to 100+ miles before fuel is used.
Favorite Features
The car is smooth, comfortable, quiet, and the electronics are great. I get questions all the time about this car. I love the feature whereby you can place battery power on hold and save it for city driving - a well thought out feature. The pure electric drive motor is great - with the options for low used for city driving and normal D for everything else. Plenty of torque and the styling gets plenty of compliments
Suggested Improvements
The drive type type selector switch needs to be illuminated better at night and placed further away from the power switch. I have accidently hit the power switch while driving at night when trying to change drive type - and found out that if you push this start button twice (even while driving), that the car will cut off - which is very dangerous at night. The rear seats are not comfortable for those over 6' tall I would like auto-wiper feature that detects and adjusts wiper speed. I have this on my BMW and it is one of my favorite features.