2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Traverse - Consumer Reviews

2009 Traverse Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

Sort Reviews by

Terrible vehicle, poor dealer
By hangman

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased 1-8-09, fully loaded $45K. From day one problems every few months. Four serious problems. On 2 long trips this vehicle almost left us stranded on the road. Once, it almost caught fire(bad cable connection under hood), rear lift gate left strut went bad and lift gate fell right on my head. GM & Chevy say: Well, it is fixed now and that then end of what we will do.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Inspect the lift gate struts and see if they can be replaced with a strong strut assembly. But, GM does not care.

Timing Chain
By Timing Chain

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I fell in love with this vehicle from the first time I seen it. We didn't even test drive it because it was in the show room and bought it off the show room floor. The vehicle has less then 30,000 miles and I knew something was wrong with it. I've had it to the service department 4 times since the end of June and finally they told me it was the timing chain. After 8 days at the service department they called me today and told me the timing chain was on back-order and it could be up to 6 months before they could get one in. They told me that GM said I could drive it and if the engine blows up they will just replace the engine. How's that for customer service?? Very disappointed with GM!

Suggested Improvements

Need to fix whatever is going on with the timing chain issues!! I've read a lot of reviews that people have wrote and they too have had timing chain issues! Maybe that's why they are on back-order and the dealership can't seem to get one in.

2010 Traverse LT
By Mike

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Overall I like the vehicle however, Chev lies about MPG. I have the AWD and although I realize it won't be as good as the FWD it isn't anywhere near what it's supposed to be. Took it on a trip to NC mostly HGWY driving MPG is a paltry 17.5 a gallon - personally I think that's poor. I will be trading ASAP when financially feasible. Now I know why they are offering 0% financing for so long on this vehicle. If gas mileage is important run from this vehicle.

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, rear visibility, the camera is awful, it's not true view so it's useless, it's like looking in a rounded mirror. There are better choices available, make one.

Great vehicle
By hawkeye

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have over 21,000 miles and love the vehicle. It has great power. I've had a transmission flash which improved what I considered good shifting, already.(people complaining of "slipping or harsh shifts" should get it) The interstate mpg is 22 at a steady 76 mph-back highways at 60mph is up to 24 mpg-around town is in the 14 mpg range.

Favorite Features

The back up camera is great

Suggested Improvements

The leather seats in the LT2 are a little hard.

I love the Traverse
By Mrs. Smitty

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I had to chime in and defend my Traverse. We have had the car for one year now and we love it. It's a very comfortable and quiet ride. We have not experienced any of the rear end noises others seems to be having. We have two kids and a dog and love the flexibility of the seating - we can haul 5 kids and a dog, or a bunch of lumber. The sun roof is a nice feature although we don't use as much as I thought we would because of the noise and wind (we do a lot of highway driving). My husband and to talk me into an SUV - but I'm glad that he did. We test drove the Flex and some other vehicles similar to the Traverse and found the Traverse to offer to most style and value for our money.

Favorite Features

Deep console storage, able to flip down some of all of seats, back hatch opens and closes with touch of button on key fab or on hatch.

Suggested Improvements

The rear bucket seats could be more comfortable - they should be able to recline a little. Makes it hard to snooze on long trips.

2ndRowMidSeatUnusable
By mcspat

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased this car in order to carry a crowd. The middle seat of the second row is unusable for more than a few blocks unless a small child is using it. Even a thin person will have the seat belt boring into their hip very uncomfortably. I have had it in to the dealer and they said that it was a design flaw and nothing could be done-- their words exactly. I just went and sat in the 2010 and it is the same way.

1 year and quite happy
By Gfi

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

With about 13,000 miles, have not been back to dealer except for oil changes. Still very tight with no rattles. The car is very comfortable around town and on the highway. I get 24.7 on road at 72 mph. Around town, I get 20-21. Not bad for a comfortable, roomy, safe vehicle. I remain happy with this domestic car after more than 20 years of Hondas and Toyotas.

Favorite Features

Back up camera. Dual sunroofs.

Suggested Improvements

Like in my first review, a more seamless iPod connection would be a nice touch.

Like it but I dont love it
By Daphne

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I recently purchased my certified 2009 Traverse. I am already thinking it's time to unload the truck. I think I need to purchase a 2010. The truck is making a whining noise that sounds like the power steering. I also noticed that the brakes tried to lock up this weekend. Last but not least, the dealership has inspected my car 2xs already. Today, will be the third time. This is costing me time and money. I haven't received my tags yet and the 30 day tags they issued expire tomorrow. I think its time to stop being nice. I do like the ride, the room and I'm proud to drive and American made vehicle.

Favorite Features

Drive, cargo space and the room.

Suggested Improvements

improve quality

Give me better gas mileage and quality
By Brian

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I love the vehicle, however it has not been without problems. One of the A/C ducts were inoperable and needed to be replaced. Next, the engine light kept coming on, ended up having to have the timing chains replaced. Gas mileage is not what was advertised. Struggle to average 17 MPG. Driving is pretty much a mix of hwy/city with slightly more city. Aside from those problems I do enjoy the drive, handling, interior design, storage space. It just stinks that I've had to deal with these problems, now my concern is longevity, will the vehicle hold of for years to come w/o additional problems.

Favorite Features

Roominess, dual sunroofs, interior layout, handling.

Suggested Improvements

GAS mileage and better build quality. Hate spending 36K for a vehicle and taking having toi take it to dealer for other than routine maintenance.

Noise in rear?
By MARIAH

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I like my 09 traverse, but am confounded by a noise in the left rear. I have had it back to the dealer 3 times and they claim it is a suspension noise and not a problem. I'm not convinced. Has anyone else experienced this noise? It is a Rather loud thump. Also the driver's seat lumbar control is no longer working. Taking it in for that and the washer heater recall.

Favorite Features

Love, love the backup camera, ease of the seat arrangement, and onstar

Suggested Improvements

Back window is hard to see out of. The headroom is not adequate for anyone over 6'.