Used 2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Traverse - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Traverse

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

Ridiculous piece of trash
By sherrypisces

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2009 Traverse used last year and it was exactly what I wanted and needed for my family. Well, from the beginning I had problems with the car. I was experiencing a stalling type of drive. I would be driving along and all of a sudden the car would jerk and go extremely slow almost killing myself and my family. At times the vehicle would jerk and lose all power and shut off in the middle of the highway, street, anywhere! I have put so much money into this vehicle that I am embarrassed to say. I don't know what to do or who to contact because this is not a safe vehicle. Do Not, I repeat, Do Not purchase the 2009 Chevy Traverse EVER!

Favorite Features

The inside of the vehicle is all that and more! I love the leather seats and the radio and the space is ridiculously perfect!

Suggested Improvements

I suggest Chevy buy back each and every 2009 Chevy Traverse because there is something wrong with this particular vehicle.

Horrible 2009 Traverse
By aburgener

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We have had the Traverse for about 2 years and just on Friday I was driving down a 4 lane highway and it didn't want to shift. Barely, made it home alive and took it to the auto center. They informed me they would not work on it because it would happen again and so when I tried to move it, it would not go in reverse. We have had problems with the power steering and 3 recalls on it. Something is wrong with the 2009 version of this car. My brother had the same problem and when we were at the repair shop the owner said his sister had the same problem. We are getting another estimate because the first one said it was the transmission... if you have money for lots of repair go for it.

2009 Traverse
By tigger68

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought our traverse in June 2009 and I had one problem with a computer about a year ago. Then October 2011 came around and our check engine light came on. It was something I don't remember. We took it to the dealer and it was the timing chain and it had been recalled. They had the car for 10 days. Then we had the car back one day and I was driving home from work and it started smoking. We attempted to drive to dealer and did not make it. A transmission clamp broke. they fixed it and then we got it back. We had it back in 4 days. The fixed and have had some hesitation and now transmission module is out? Now back we go again! Dealer has been working with us at least!

Favorite Features

Radio--- seating---- lift gate

Suggested Improvements

WARRANTY---- make it 100,000 bumber to bumper because I am out of warranty and am not happy with the fact that I will be making serious repairs when the powertrain is out. I have 47,000 miles on it now and am waiting for them to say it is not covered! I will fight tooth and nail since they had to pull my engine for a timing belt!

Wish I hit reverse before buying Traverse
By mom2x2

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have been into the dealership 13 times in the past 2 months...nothing but issues with engine and powersteering. Was happy with car but this has thrown me over the edge. Do not feel comfortable driving my family of six in this vehicle. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. BEWARE

Suggested Improvements

Engine that works, better quality, more reliable car- otherwise I would like car.

Traverse is junk !
By Chris Robinson

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

For the past 6 mos, have had nothing but trouble. First the dealer said nothing was wrong. When check engine light came on, they had my car for 3 weeks straight. Then timing chain problem turned into transmission problems. Now, you cant accelerate quickly because the tires spin. So much for traction control. the dealer has replaced the software in my transmission 3-4 times now. i would NOT recommend this garbage of a vehicle to anyone. It's no wonder GM went bankrupt, because their customer service really blows. I have spoken to GM numerous times about these issues, but they don't seem to care. Looks like my GM buying days are over.

Favorite Features

Nothing. Entire vehicle is junk.

Suggested Improvements

Everything