Used 2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Great Car
By Don

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

We loved the car overall until the last year. It was a lease car. Most of the time when we got the car up to 50mph the car began to shake and lunge and lurch like it was hurting for gas. We took the car into several car dealers to fix it and they thought we were crazy. We did find one dealer that could see it, but was never able to get it to do it at the right time for the computer to tell there what to fix. Well, after the lease we were sad to give it up, but some poor person probably has it now.

Favorite Features

the power

Suggested Improvements

dealers need to start listening the the owners that are driving the car on a regular basis to fix problems.

no problems here
By no problems here

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 50k miles and have had no problems. I drive roughly 50 miles round trip daily and most of this is on country roads and I still average around 22mpg! My only problem with this car is wind noise. I had a new camry and got rid of it. I like the quality of my impala a lot better.

Favorite Features

rear spoiler and the handling on curvy roads

Suggested Improvements

none

Never Again
By AmberE

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I am amazed to see how many people on here are having the same problems as I am and there aren't any recalls. I too have had issues with a clunky front end, my abs light coming on at random, and kicking in at random, my traction control light comes on and kicks in also, I now have to turn it off before I start driving because it was kicking in at dangerous times. I have replaced my speedometer. The lights on my rear view mirror work at some moments and not at others. The car is comfy but the pros will never outweigh the cons in this car. I am now considering a Honda or Hyundai or something foreign. I will never buy an impala again. Horrible!

Suggested Improvements

The whole front end has issues, fix those, and also, there are obviously multiple sensor issues with the whole ABS/Traction control problem. How is possible that no recalls have been issued for that?

P.O.S. '04 Impala
By Notta GM fan

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Got it used w/24k on it. Since I have had it I replaced two wheel hubs ($400 each), replaced instrument cluster assembly ($500... gas gauge had stopped working), replaced two heater cores ($900 each), replaced heater control head so the heat could actually get out the vents ($500), ABS light coming on ($1000), replaced steering shaft (warranty), ETC!!

Favorite Features

Roomy. Stereo sounds nice.

Suggested Improvements

Too many to enumerate.

Last Chevy I Will Ever Buy
By bernard

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Speedometer went out at 66,000 miles ($379.93). Light went out on climate control, have to replace whole unit ($336.60). Sometimes windshield wipers don`t work at all. Or won't shut off. Service Traction System light comes on occasionally, then does upon restarting. It seems to me that there is some kind of electrical issue with these cars, as many people experience the same problems.

Favorite Features

3.8 Supercharged provides good power.

Suggested Improvements

Don't Buy This Car