2002 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
When does it end
By Disgruntled on 03/25/10 07:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The Impala is not fit because it has too many problems. It is good on gas and the ride is alright on the highway for long trips but. Not recognizing the key therefore the car won't start and having to the wait for the computer to shut down 12-15 mins is not right. Approx $1100 to fix, then intake manifold gasket leaking which the coolant can eventually leak into the eng $1000, brakes never seem to be good, fix at dealer with minimal cost but eventually did a whole new brake job, muffler pipe has a crack, lower control arm bushings left and right needs to be replaced, now head gasket dealer $2200, private shop $1400 and eng rebuilt at priv shop $2400. I only have $155k when does it end.

old cop car
By don on 03/15/10 11:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 162,000 kms on it. It now has pushing 300,000 kms. This car corners like a sports car, brakes as good or better than most on the road. And you got remember it was used and abused by the ont Canada o. P. P. This car will bury the speedo with no hesitation. Its been to Florida with me 3 times from Ontario. I've put a battery and 2 front wheel bearings, and a set of control arm bushing in it. I change the tranny oil and filter every spring. I probly drive it harder the the police did! I love it even tho its a plain Jane. From the lights this car surprise

Don't Waste Your Money
By CLH on 02/12/10 06:20 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my car new off the lot. It was great at first. The 1st year the entire steering column had to be replaced - it locked up and I could not move it. Once I hit 100,000 - I had to replace the intake gasket, head gasket, bearings, window motor, and fuel pump. I also had to replace the brakes numerous times. Interior design not good - kept finding screws inside the car on the floor. Even my mechanic said that the 3.4 liter engine was not good & all his customers with this car had the same problems.

sorry chevy
By sammckenzie on 01/07/10 12:28 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had nothing but trouble every since I bought this car, with security system, service traction system window motor broke, cat converter had to be replaced at 60000 and roars when turning right, security system leaves me stuck at places for 15 min.In my book this is the sorriest car I have ever bought, they should recall all and destroy them!

Overall Great Car
By Old Reliable on 12/29/09 18:48 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven this car since 2002. It was my company car then and I bought it about three years later. I now have 207,000 on the odometer and my family has named this car "Old Reliable". The mileage is great, the comfort is very good and I have had only a few problems with the car. The catalytic converter was replaced under warranty at 80K. No problems since then with the catalytic converter. I had the intake replaced along with the water pump around 120K. I am still on the original transmission. I can feel some wear in the transmission but it does have over 200k, so that is to be expected. I think she might last another 100K!

Overall Great Car
By Old Reliable on 12/29/09 18:48 PM (PST)

Too Many Problems
By AndreaP on 11/07/09 14:25 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Ride & handling are very good. Very comfortable, even on very long trips. Interior is very roomy, even for rear seat passengers. Tons of space in the trunk. However, it does not hold the road well in wet or snowy conditions. Even after meticulous maintenance, there have been too many mechanical problems. The cosmetic issues I have had are not due to abuse or over-use. My experience has been that this is a very poorly built automobile, and as a result has been unusually expensive to maintain. I would not consider purchasing another one. Items replaced include a new computer, catalytic converter, rear exterior door handles, wiring, trim items, etc. and several problems still exist.

A Good ride with some quirks
By NatG83 on 11/04/09 14:57 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I had the 3.8 LS with Leather interior, full loaded. Purchased the car used. Motor was strong, good acceleration. ride was too soft, and would bottom out with 4 adults in car. Interior parts broke easily, and there were some unsightly gaps in the panels. The car was terrible in the snow. The traction control only made matters worse. The Leather seats were way too soft. They worked well around town, but left the legs numb on long trips. When I traded the car in, the transmission felt to be slipping with only 70,000 miles on the car. The exterior was nice, but the headlight seals went on the car.

Happy Impala Owner
By John on 09/29/09 13:04 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new and it is as great to drive as the day I bought it. The reliability is great and other than a catalytic converter covered by warranty car is trouble free. The size and comfort for all passengers is very good. Gas mileage is good. Terrific in snow.

Awesome Car
By awesome1 on 06/19/09 08:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 20,000 miles on it for my wife who is a realtor & it has been excellent. So far the only major repair has been a replacement of the power steering module/motor/output shaft. We now have 120,000 miles on it. We change the oil every 3-4,000 miles & do a pan drop & filter change on the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. We try to never have more than 1 summer season on the transmission fluid as I believe heat is the death of transmission fluid & we live in the Carolina's. My wife is a realtor & she subjects the car to extensive around town driving. We have the LS trim package w/trunk spoiler.