Used 2001 Chevrolet Impala Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

It's a Tank
By beemorsch

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car has seen HELL from just from my sister and I driving it alone (after three others). Even though I haven't been in any accidents with it (although I've come pretty close), my sister has gone through 3/4 pretty bad doozies, yet with just a bit of fixing up, it's still running. That said, my gas gauge doesn't work, the drivers side heated seat is shot, my radio drains the battery when connected (wiring issue) and a few other things are in need of repair. This being my first car, the length was intimidating after learning to drive in a mini, but I always loved it and have always called it my tank, because it's seen so many things and gone through "war."

Suggested Improvements

There are a few big blind spots when it comes to the windshield.

Love my Impala
By Kathy L

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for 8 years. It's incredibly dependable and a comfortable car. I recommend purchasing an extended 100,000 warranty in case you do have any issues which I have had a few but the ext. warranty helped. Still gets 30 mpg on the highway. Only problem is the gas gauge doesn't work but I can live with that. I do service it yearly whether it needs it or not. A lot of times it's all about the maintenance!

Favorite Features

Comfortable, dependable, good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Have had electrical problems but none in the last 80,000 miles!

Great Performance
By scottxwinston

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Love this car! It Rides smoother than my Grandmother's 2002 Cadillac Deville. It's very roomy and fun to drive. I feel very safe in this car. It also gets better gas mileage than previous 4 cyl car did. My Impala has almost 170,000 miles on it and it's still running great. The 3400 V6 engine is like a tank!

Favorite Features

Crystal Clear Stock Speakers, Tinted Windows, Plush Seating, Spacious Interior & Trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing I can think of.

Bland
By TopGear

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My grandma used to own this car, and it was pretty much un-driven. When her license was revoked, I took on the old Chevy as a second car to my Volvo XC90. I've got to say, as nice as it is to have the extra car around, this is a boring car. I find it's too easy to drive, and that the seats are made to be slouched in the whole time. Apart from the front, which has some good features, this is an ugly car. The steering wheels feels plasticy (because it is) and the shifter is unresponsive. This car does have decent handling, but not perfect, and decent power, but unresponsive. If you need an extra car, and don't care at all about cars, buy this - but if you're like me and like cars, forget it.

Favorite Features

Trunk Space, Handling, Power, Good Radio

Suggested Improvements

Shifter, Brakes (they're terrible), Build Quality, Size, Feels kind of wallow-y.

Constant lack of starting
By Brett

2001 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

From the get go the car was awesome. Then the lack of starting periodically. Some said the ignition/alarm but I searched the internet and found the problem to everyone's trouble was the 1) BCM (body control module) Chevy charge $350 reprogrammed a new one and solved that problem 2) Rotors. Solved that too. Ceramic brake pads. Keeps the rotors cooler on contact. 3) Rack and Pinion. Shot but works like a BMW. Can totally feel the road now. 4) Corners bad-solved with polyurethane bushings to the sway bar. Now the perfect family sedan. Corners like a police car/mileage like a small car. Buy a 2003 on for Onstar 90,000 mile 34 mpg consistently on the hwy. Still a great multi-duty vehicle

Favorite Features

large size. Fuel mpg. revised handling no the suspension does not roll. Tires inexpensive. 480 miles on one tank for hwy use. Cheap to fix. Will get another one after this. Bought the lady an 04 LS beautiful and safe.

Suggested Improvements

Heavier metal Rotors. A better BCM to hold up for communicating with the passcode and ignition/alarm system. Better plastics but that was done for 06.