Used 2006 BMW X3 3.0i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Bmw X3 - Consumer Reviews

2006 BMW X3

3.0i 3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual - (47 reviews )

Improvements
By Scott

2006 BMW X3 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Has some improvements over my '04 X3. Servotronic steering is nice in parking lots, but dampens the road feel somewhat. It seems to wander around. Ride is much softer than '04, so it feels like it leans a bit more on corners, but still holds the road. Too many people complained that it drove like a BMW, I guess. This is supposed to be a sports car, not a Benz. Transmission program is better; smoother shift to 2nd gear. (Auto Trans.) The '04 would sometimes hold on to 1st gear then slam into 2nd. Overall, I love this vehicle and BMW in general.

Favorite Features

Servotronic - I'm lazy. Responsiveness of the suspension. Build quality is superior to most other vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

The acceleration is LAME!

Love My X3!
By J9

2006 BMW X3 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a great SUV. This is my first BMW but I have driven many other luxury SUVs. By the way I was torn between this and the X5. I am glad that I chose this one. Better pricing and, believe it or not, a lot more cargo space in height area. Smooth ride. People are always amazed when they get in my truck because it is much bigger on the inside than it looks. Very spacious! Just put 18K on my baby. I love to drive this truck!

Favorite Features

Panoramic moonroof, smooth ride, great looks, spacious, decent sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger cupholder, rear hatch release, alarm.

Top SUV
By pinoyfrnc

2006 BMW X3 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

If you enjoy speed with a dash of mobility, flexibility, security and don't have a lot of commitment in life except to be with your love ones to include all your pets. This is the vehicle to get. Perfect size and comfort for the couple and/or some that just wanna go out and play some more.

Favorite Features

Safety i.e. airbags front, side rear in- call etc.

Suggested Improvements

Interior. Front dash looks generic for a luxury SUV.

Manual transmission and Sunroof
By wnull

2006 BMW X3 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My wife and I traded in our car with our baby on the way and wanted an SUV that had both a manual transmission and a sun roof. NO new cars come with both so We picked up our 2006 X3 with 68K and now have about 77K after almost a year and absolutely love it! The storage in the back is a little tight but the movable tie downs are great. We ended up buying the crossbars for the roof so we can put a cargo box on top for our annually beach vacation. Worked wonderfully. Gas mileage has been pretty good, with summer gas and a trip to north western pa (No roof rack) we managed between 25-26mpg 85-90% highway. Around town we get anywhere from 18-21, depending on who's driving.

Favorite Features

The full moon/sun roof is pretty darn cool. Just be warned that if you have an original sun roof cassette it may crap out and cost from 1,500 to 3k to get replaced. It appears ours was already replaced and haven't had any issues (knock on wood). the sound system is pretty nice The X drive works great and gives me a little piece of mind if my wife is driving in the snow with our little one.

Suggested Improvements

The seats are pretty good for short trips but our 5 hour drive through pa made our butts a bit sore. I hear the newer X3's are much more comfortable but I like the price of the used one's better. Price to work on the car. In doing some preventative maintenance the cost is stupid high for some stuff. Of course with it being used some things are banged up and I'd like to order replacement parts to make the car look nicer but the cost is to much. Like the window control unit has the top layer of plastic peeling off of it but for a new one it's almost 200 bucks. I'll stick with the peeling or take it off and paint it myself. rear facing car seat eats up front space if you're 6' tall

06 X3
By comer98

2006 BMW X3 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After 1 year and 12000 miles of ownership the newness has worn off, but the performance remains. This is the best handling vehicle I have ever owned. Overall, I am very pleased with the purchase. The price is high, but it is a BMW and leasing incentives make owning this vehicle very affordable for the first 3 years. Problems: radio display is malfunctioning (LCD screen is all messed up) and a replacement has been on order for over 1 month; recently have started to experience the door sqeaking or rattling when the windows are rolled up. Also have an annoying headliner rattle above the drivers seat. Hope to have these issues resolved when the new radio arrives. Overall, still very happy.

Favorite Features

BMW handling in a sport utility, exterior appearance, xenon headlamps, definitely a fun drivers car.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy not as great as similar sized SUVs, but none have the smooth I6 either, better interior materials should have been used in a $40K + vehicle (greatly improved in the 2007 model).