Used 2004 Audi S4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S4 model:

Awesome S4
By KLouie

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

The S4 is a very smooth and powerful car. The build quality is excellent and the interior is beautiful. The torque range is very good and linear. I would like a little more steering feel and a little less body roll through tight turns. I love the exhaust note and turn off the stereo just to hear it(even though the stereo is excellent). I have a Porsche Boxster S which I love; this car is great, just different. It is an awesome car which works as a daily driver except for the gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see more distinguishing features from the base A4 (like bulging fender wells, better side skirts).

Audi S4 - Hard to Beat!
By audimania

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Leased silver sedan with automatic trans in October 2003. Car has 35,000 miles. It is truly a driver's car - on windy, country roads, it handles as well as my Porsche 911. The handling is superior as are the brakes and ride quality. Reliability has been a bit of an issue - transmission had to be replaced - would have cost in excess of $6500 if car had not been under warranty. In short, if you can accept the extremely mediocre gas mileage, and want to carry 4 in relative comfort, and you want a smile on your face every time you drive, this is the machine.

Favorite Features

Ride and handling; looks and "stance"; AWD in winter weather.

Suggested Improvements

Interior, while classy, is due for a re-do.

911 Beater
By audi4ever

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

This is one sensational automobile. Leased S4 automatic from local dealer in October 2004 and have been smiling ever since. The performance and handling are superb; very close to my 2004 Porsche 911 C2 in terms of fun to drive quotient over windy, country roads. My spouse, who wanted an A6, uses the S4 to commute and loves its size and superior handling and power. The suspension is compliant/ A true sports sedan! Super in winter with a set of 4 snow tires. Downside: fuel economy is atrocious - under 15 mpg around town. But when lease expires in April '07, we have already decided to get another. Love Audi's bumper to bumper warranty and service from local dealer.

Favorite Features

Power and handling; fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

Interior needs to be revamped to bring it in line with new A6 and A8

The intelligent mans supercar!
By David Fravel

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Absolutely awesome performance. Does everything well or better than my last Porsche 911. Fit and finish is excellent and build materials are the best at any price range. Driving the S4 at low or extreme high speeds feels efforlessly with comfort and composure. The quattro makes a good driver a great driver and makes up for mistakes that would normally put a 911 in the bushes. The two-tone silver suede and leather Recaro seats are the best in the hi-performance industry. The motor pulls stong down low and doesnt let up to its 7200rpm redline. Its a cross between a 911 and muscle car. I cant say enough about the new S4. Its in its own league when compairing other extreme sport sedan.

Favorite Features

Big 8 cylinder music and torque. Seats, smooth 6-speed manual, quality fit and finish.

I Can't Wait to Drive My S4
By FastS

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I've never owned a car where I actually looked forward to driving it. This S4 has changed that. Driving it is truly enjoyable. The Recaro seats keep you firmly in place. I know there are faster cars and better handling but the overall experience in the S4 is one of the best.

Favorite Features

Everything. Comfortable, high quality interior. Awesome Audi navigation/bluetooth system with 2 SD Card slots for mp3s. Power and Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Audi has been able to squeeze the V8 in the S4, let's see if they can squeeze in the V10.