2004 Audi S4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S4 model:
Performance and luxury
By Peter04S4 on 11/10/04 12:39 PM (PST)

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

This car is the ultimate combination of sports and luxury. While it's not quite as sporty as BMW's M3, it is far more comfortable. Not to mention that quattro makes it a true year-round practical performance car.

S4 ups and downs
By LMstent on 10/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Overall, I have thoroughly enjoyed my S4. Driving 25,000 mi / yr, the car has been an excellent performer -- the power, handling, and comfort level are all very nicely blended and what I'm looking for in this market. Unfortunately a major issue developed. My car was in for its routine 25,000 service when an occult oil leak was detected. Apparently, there is a "watch" out on the engine where some "O ring" and sealant may need to be replaced (so I was told). Now, my car is in for sevice for a minimum of two weeks for the engine to be removed and repaired. This certainly took a toll on my confidence with Audi reliability.

The car I've been waiting for...
By mwuagi on 09/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I bought mine at a huge discount because it was a dealer buy- back. Apparently, some earlier S4's had engine & tranny problems, so mine got a new engine and a new transmission with "bug" fixes, and now the car runs perfectly. The previous owner should have kept it, because I am now enjoying a flawless vehicle! We all know about the super performance and the bad gas mileage, so let's get past that and talk about what a great stealth vehicle this car is. I also own a heavily modified Mitsu Eclipse GSX that is a "Fast and Furious" type vehicle, but my S4 outperforms it, and has quiet "class" as well. With the premium package, this car is tops! M3? Humbug!

04 S4 Review
By estim8d on 08/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Coming from a 02 BMW 3 series, I have high expectations, and I have to say, the solid, tutonic build quality of this auto is amazing. Quieter, a touch softer although still very stiff and accurate, this car rocks. Really enjoying it.

There is no other choice!
By emmabryan on 08/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

If you live in the northeast, as I do, there is no other choice for under $60k. I have been caught in blizzards with this car and had no problems. I might have considered the M3, but what do you do when it snows? Stay home? I have taken bends in the highway at over 100 mph (after downshifting to 5th gear), and not gotten nervous or felt any lateral movement. People in their "fast and the furious" cars always try keep up with me. So far I haven't had anyone come close....

S4 Civilized Power
By wtoak001 on 08/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

If you're part of the WRX-STI or EVO crowd, the S4 is not for you!! The S4 comes with power to spare, but it comes in an elegant and well behaved package. It is gutsy, yet balanced and predictable. While handling is not quite M3 like, you will rarely miss it. It's throaty roar pleases when your alone, but you can also take the family for a Sunday drive. Overall, it is the finest automobile I have ever owned.

A must test drive
By GSP on 08/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

If your in the market comparing M3 and the C55 AMG, you must drive this car. Easier drive than the M3, and not as showy as the C55. (sometimes you don't want people to know what you have). Quattro makes any roadway feel safe and stable, and V8 makes this car move.

One Happy Guy
By DoltDodger on 08/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Test drove several Mercedes, owned two BMWs, this car is about the perfect balance for me. I prefer the more immediate steering feel of a BMW, however Audi has done a great job with the steering in this car. (All wheel drive prevents it being any better.) I also perfer rear wheel drive, but this car doesn't have the obnoxious front wheel drive feel most AWD cars provide. The power is great fun, the ride exceptional given the performance envelope of the car. I can't find fault with the interior, & actually love the stealthy exterior. A BMW M3 may be quicker, but not by much, and the ride is much worse. Don't buy a performance sedan without test driving an S4.

The most camoflaged car on the road!
By Bogue on 07/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Third child came/ TT had to go/wife got minivan and I got a world class sports car disguised as a family station wagon.Audi builds great exteriors(Black on Black)and even better interiors(two-tone black/grey Alcantara,Recaro seats,both front&back seats).Bose concert sound is very nice but the throaty rumble of 340HP is even nicer.Quattro lends confidence that even in the worst weather my family is safer in the Avant than in our minivan.A note about gas mileage big V8s can have big appetites especially in city driving, however I found the highway gas mileage to be comparable to other V8s.

fun, comfortable, rocket
By 47xuf1 on 07/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I traded in an A4, which I loved, for this car, but this car is in another league from any other car I have ever driven or owned. The engine is just unreal. It pulls from any RPM. The handling is sublime and the interior is just beautiful. Every time I drive this car it puts a smile on my face.