2002 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Downhill After 45K
By disappointed on 04/15/08 14:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After 45K miles, my 2002 Audi A4 1.8T (now at 53K miles) began to require very expensive repairs that I never needed for other vehicles I owned with over 100k miles. I had to replace the phlange that connected the coolant system to the engine, the steering rack and pinion, the windshield/headlight washing fluid pump and motor, and the dealer says that I need to soon replace engine gaskets. I do not know much about the mechanics of cars, but from my experience, it is unusual that such major repairs would be required on a vehicle that still has relatively low mileage and is owned by someone who is very diligent with all of the routine maintenance. Wish I had purchased the extended warranty!

Do not buy
By Megan on 04/11/08 21:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car thinking it was going to be reliable. After 2 years we had to replace the engine, now at 100,000 miles we need a new transmission. It has been one thing after the other and I will never buy an Audi ever again. Nobs all wear or fall off, interior tears, head lights burn out every 2 seconds. Not only have I spent tons of money having to repair the car I want to get rid of it and it isn't worth anything, horrible resale. Bad bad bad, that is all I have to say!

This is Audi #3
By Victory on 04/08/08 21:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the third Audi for me. I bought my first one used w/60,000 miles- an Audi 90 and donated it with 173,000 on it. It was great. I bought an Audi 90 brand new and put 194,000 miles on it. Another great driving car. Now I have an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro 6sp. manual and I love it. It had 32,000 miles on it when I bought it and not a scratch on it. I love the summer package (wide wheels) but they ride rough. The winter tired were great for Ohio snow.

Not for long commutes
By AO on 09/06/07 09:11 AM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is cute and fun. But don't drive it too much. By 2007, with all the repairs we've already done and those still coming up, this car has depreciated like a rock and we're left holding the bag, wondering when our next $2,000 repair bill will come up. The overcomplicated German design leaves even the smallest repairs costing more than they should, and the benefit - our cute car - has been blackened by our repair bills.

Smooth like butter, but eats up coils
By MysteryDyke on 08/07/07 09:19 AM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We've owned this baby since its birth. The paint and fit and finish are still like new. The 1.8T quattro w 5spd manual has plenty of power and is great in snow. No real issues but we're on our 3rd set of ignition coils ($400 ea time). Our horn kept shorting out until they finally fixed the bracket (5 repairs later). The power steering fluid has a slow leak and ANY routine repair is pricey ($83 to replace 2 burnt out tail light bulbs!), but the ride and handling are still superb. We still love our A4 and it's just like new after 5+ years. Would highly recommend this car.

One of the worst cars I have ever owned
By Sunny on 06/12/07 16:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Loads of electrical gremlins. Spontaneously the alarm used to go off when I first got it. Radio problems, speakers cutting in and out, tweeter still busted. Dealers want $300 to replace a battery, recently paid $475 to diagnose and replace 3 feet of vacuum hose for a check engine light. Brakes were shot in 36,000 miles (my other car was good for 50,000 so it is not my driving) and tires the same. It was fun to drive when I bought it. Should have bought reliability. Maybe mine was just a lemon but I would not shop Audi/VW again.

Transmission Killer
By Audi A4 3.0 on 12/28/06 06:40 AM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I love the way this car looks, feels and drives, however... We just put in our third new replacement transmission!! The car has been in the shop for 4 months out of the last two years. The mechanic had to order the tranny from Germany as they are on back order in the US. The transmissions are about $7000 a piece. Thank God for extended warranties!! Buyer beware.

Pure Satisfaction
By D on 12/27/06 00:33 AM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I love this car!! After owning it for 4 1/2 years, I still feel the same as when I purchased it new. It has the sports suspension which handles very well. This vehicle is the first automatic transmission I have owned, therefore, having the CVT transmission has been wonderful. There is no hesitation when going through the gears upon acceleration and is smooth as can be. The seat is comfortable and the ride is quiet. The stiffer sports suspension is exactly what one expects from BMW. This car has had NO electrical or engine problems and is very reliable. A new dealership which opened closer to my home (after owning my car for 2 years) is top notch; offering car washes, and prompt service.

Stick shift 3.0 smokin' ride
By TONY may on 12/08/06 09:36 AM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I really love this car. The 6 speed makes it a blast to drive and the performance is really good. All wheel drive makes winters fun too. Built nice and strong. Love this car and it loves me.

Audi A4 1.8T
By J. Amador on 11/29/06 19:04 PM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Audi from Audi USA (used with 3k). I bought it over the internet and shipped to Europe (wanted US Spec Car). I drove the car up to 128 MPH and it ran flawlessly. Hugged the road and driving at 100 MPH felt like going 55. I did have a problem with the gas cap sensor that Audi corrected. Overall the car has been great and provides super gas mileage while providing umph when you need it. It has the normal turbo lag but overall very pleased. Back seat could be a touch larger. Very glad I got the 1.8T motor over the 3.0. I had 3 series BMW before this one and prior had the Audi 4000CS. Not knocking the BMW but find the Audi more of a joy to drive. Enjoy!!!