Used 2002 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

A4 quattro 1.8
By yo_mikeyyy

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this car with 57k miles 2 years ago. Now I have 84k and I only had a few problems. Power steering fluid was leaking and engine speed sensor and also my moonroof won't stay open. I enjoy driving the car especially in the winter when there's snow on the ground! It's fun! I haven't had a major problem but I am scared coz someone I know has the same exact car and his timing belt broke at 85k. It is not a cheap car to fix nor maintain but I try my best.

Favorite Features

quattro, handling is great, style

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are horrible in this model which they fixed with the B7s, the power steering leak on most of this model.

Great little car
By Lyle H.

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I originally bought the 5sp. manual Audi A4 1.8t used with 95,000 miles on the odometer. 15 minutes after driving it away from the dealer, the car nearly broke down, so we drove it back and they replaced an engine coil and all was fine. I went about 10,000 miles with an oil change every 3k miles, and one day when I started it up the engine was acting funny and the check engine and oil light came on, indicating that there were signs of oil sludge buildup, which I read is quite common in the 1.8t, due to design flaw. Now, the radio acts up. However I love this car regardless. Such a fun, attractive, luxurious little car.

Favorite Features

Looks, the way it drives, I love being seen in it because it looks like such an impressive car, speedy, all around great.

Suggested Improvements

Window seals need improving, engine compartment design (can't get to anything the way its designed), engine and motor design, better cupholders.

Get the 3.0
By audilove

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Well it looks like I see a trend here. The 1.8T seem to have reliability issues while the 3.0 seem to run strong. I have owned mine for a year and love it. It's my second Audi, my first being an 80Q that I put 300k miles on. I will say that these cars require your attention. By that I mean don't skimp on maintenance. If there are issues, fix them IMMEDIATELY or it can get very expensive (i.e. ignore replacing a $25 coil pack and you could spend $1000 on a new cat). I will also say you need to keep the interior conditioned, it doesn't like being left to dry out on hot days.

Favorite Features

Handling (quattro), styling, build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel efficiency. I average between 22 and 25MPG.

Audi does it best
By JT

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I leased my A4 because I wasn't sure I would like driving a stick after a lot of years of automatics but this car changed all that. It has been a fantastic performer in all kinds of weather conditions and having a stick takes me back to when I was 16. I liked the A4 so much, I bought it outright and bought a 2 year warranty extension from the dealer. Had a couple of repairs made under the warranty but overall I have no complaints with the cars reliability up to this point with 58K miles on it. I got everything available except Bose audio and Xenon headlights. Heated seats are great in winter and very comfortable. This is the best car I ever owned.. and I've owned 11 different cars.

Favorite Features

Overall build quality, Interior design, various little touches like puddle lights in each door, airbags all around, dash and instrument lighting, seat comfort, fold down seats, torquey engine especially at low rpms and much more.

Suggested Improvements

Keep up the build quality

Waiting for the other shoes to drop
By Tim H

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've put a steady 12K a year on this car in a mix of city & freeway driving, up to the 75K I have now. After the 4- year lease was up, which coincided with the 50K-mile warranty, I bought the car outright and on a hunch bought a 70K- mile extended warranty. Great hunch! It paid for itself twice over, but now that it has expired I'm dreading the next major expense and wondering what it will be. Though I still love the vehicle, its looks & ride, it may be time to move on before the pit of mechanical-breakdown hell opens up. One amazing point: At 75K miles I have never needed new brakes thanks to careful driving and downshifting rather than braking at every opportunity (though I will soon)

Favorite Features

Look of car, solid, quality feel and ride. Classic all the way.

Suggested Improvements

Though a recent compression test shows I'm not leaking oil or excessively burning it, I'm certainly using it: a quart of Mobil 1 synthetic every couple of weeks. According to the mechanic, it's probably used mostly on the highway, not in the city. It takes a quart of Mobil One every 2 weeks.