2018 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

After 3 years, the car still has bugs
By Pirouz Maghsoudnia

2018 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

We got a 2018 model thinking that the bugs by now would be fixed. Almost all the call functionality is centered around the Sensus console which simply fails! There is a always a lag when starting the car before the console responds. The touch screen is so so and it messes up the driver profiles all the time. We backing up, the rearview camera takes forever to come on and you either have to just sit there or just back up with eye sight - my 2013 Nissan Leaf has a much better console. Also the rear passenger side door lock is not working after 3 months. Very disappointed in Volvo.

Not reliable for the price tag
By HLynn

2018 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Twin Engine Plug-In Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger gas/electric hybrid 8A)

I purchased the 2018 XC90 T8 Inscription in August 2017 with most of the bells and whistles minus the upgraded sound system. I chose the hybrid mainly because of the added acceleration and the ride of the car with the air suspension package. I get on average 27mpg but have gotten as high as 40mpg in town. It would probably average in the 30mpg range if I remembered to plug it in every night. We don't travel in this vehicle and I normally put less than 10,000 miles a year on my cars. I have been pleased with the interior. It is luxurious and I find the seats to be very comfortable. I like the simple and elegant design without all of the buttons and dials. My biggest disappointment with this vehicle has been the reliability. My first incident occurred within a few months of purchase. I got a Reduced Engine Power light as I was backing out of the garage to take my son to the Dr. which was less than a mile from my house. As I did not need to accelerate over 35mph I decided to risk driving it which was, admittedly, a mistake. As I was pulling out to cross 2 lanes of traffic the car just stopped and went into what is known as "limp mode". Google this and read what other people have experienced. It is very distressing to me that a car can just lose power and stop while you are driving because of what I was later told was a software issue. I had to have it towed on a flatbed and the dealer kept it for about 4 days. They updated the software and told me the issue should be resolved. My next issue occurred last Friday. I was out to dinner and when I got in the car to drive home I got a light that said Hybrid System Failure-Service Required with an engine light on. My husband chose to drive the car home but, once again, I had to have it towed to the dealership on a flatbed the next morning. The car has just under 7,000 miles. It was in the shop M-Th. The dealership again reloaded some software which fixes the issue 60% of the time "per Volvo". Volvo requires the dealership to try this first. If I continue to have problems in the future they will probably have to replace the IGM module. As a side note, in both instances the dealership was unable to offer me a loaner and both times they had my vehicle for 4 week days. The irony hit me as both times the car was being driven away on a flatbed my husband said to me, "That sure is a beautiful car." I thought to myself, "Yes, it is beautiful when it runs.". For $75,000+, there are other beautiful and more reliable cars.

VOLVO USA MIA IN Customer Service
By latta

The shifter knob came off. It was glued to a piece of metal. The sound system speakers rattle. The dealers do not honor the warranty. I sent emails to corporate in NJ. No one answers back. I am a disabled Veteran who needs a stable suspension. My xc90 hybrid has air suspension. I do not think it works half the time. The transmission slips. When I cut the auto off the motor fan makes a loud sound as if I was pushing on the gas in neutral. I hate I had to spend so much money through military sales to buy the auto. A lot of the components are plastic. The dealer replaced a plastic vent cover. Looks like something you get from Walmart. NOT WORTH THE BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE AND DEALER REFUSING TO HONOR THE WARRANTY. AND THIS IS HOW VOLVO TREATS VETERANS!!!

Worst Customer Service Experience in my life
By Shirley L

2018 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

My new XC90 hit a parking pole when using the Park In feature. I contacted Volvo USA and opened a case. It's been 3 weeks, and still nothing has happened. I have called and emailed numerous customer service reps and managers about the issue. They are extremely difficult to get a hold of and do not respond in a timely manner. Their attitude is also in NO WAY customer-centric. All I keep hearing is that everyone is very busy, that there is only 1 Field Tech in the region who can inspect the vehicle and basically I just need to wait until they are free. I talked to 2 managers about the issue, one was more responsive but also not easy to get a hold of, and the 2nd manager's attitude was that that how it is and nothing else can be done. He took no accountability for the poor service provided so far either.

In short, if for any reason you have a warranty issue that needs to go through Volvo USA, be prepared to have a horrible customer service experience. It has been so bad, I won't ever get a Volvo again, even though the car itself is quite nice. Shockingly bad service for a luxury car brand. Would give 0 stars if possible.

Decent handling, but wish I bought a cheaperhybrid
By ebakes

2018 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

I bought the 2018 xc90 T5 AWD with comfort and convenience packages. I previously owned an Infiniti Qx80. Comparatively, I miss the luxury, space and comfort of the Qx80 and traded in for this car because my Infiniti was coming out of warranty and I wanted something with tighter handling, smaller and much better mpg. Well, I'm very surprised that my xc90 T5 is averaging only 17 mpg. My enormous Infiniti got a dismal 14mpg, but for 3 mpg's I'd take the Infiniti back. Not sure why the mileage is so bad- I even drive in economy mode often, and the car's motor shuts off every time I come to a stop light. Regarding the handling, it's definitely tighter and 'zippier' so at least I achieved that. But I could've achieved that with any number of less expensive vehicles. The cabin feels tight, espeicially the front seats and I can't seem to find a seat position that is comfortable. Maybe I'm too tall? I'm 5'10". Idk, but definitely having a bit of buyers remorse...