Used 2003 Volvo V40 Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used V40 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Fine used car

gordon, 06/27/2010

We purchased this in 2009 with 38,000 miles on it. Have put 2 2,000 mile trips on it and averaged 39 mpg. Around town it gets around 22 mpg. Car has plenty of zip and handles well. Both my wife and I find the seats comfortable. The lumbar support helps. A/C blows cold and have had no work other than regular maintenance done on it. Would recommend as used car.

Why Europeans tend to get it right

Adam Lausch, 05/21/2010

I must say that this is truly a unique car. I've rated it as unbiased as tough as I can. I simply love to drive it, and I've owned some pretty nice vehicles. I think one of its major downfalls is that Volvo didn't offer a manual transmission, that would be a blast. I love the V50s, but we were able to find a very nice V40 with low miles for $6K. I couldn't pass it up. So far I've have the check engine light come on once, and I think the ignition timing may have been off a bit. So I changed out a set of new high-performance plugs, and it's running superbly. Good performance, not great. It's so comfortable as well. Why buy a SUV for a small family when there are fun and economic wagons like this

Everything I imagined it would be!

Allison, 10/12/2002

I purchased my 2003 V-40 about a month ago and I am VERY HAPPY with everything about it! The interior is well- designed, spacious, and fits like a glove. The exterior is classy and very cool. Plus- add the eurorails & fog lights and you get one sporty ride. A little bit slow to start off with- but once it passes the 30 MPH mark- you are flyin'! So far- so good!

Great car. Would like more room.

DBK, 01/24/2005

I really love this car. It handles beautifully. The safety components (that are standard on all Volvos are very rare on other cars. Great heating/ac system and thermostat. Had some problems with the back latch. Other than that, the car has been reliable and very enjoyable to drive.

Not Bad/Not Great

Lincoln Steffens, 10/21/2003

I wanted the Passat Wagon, my wife did not. We chose this primarily because of the Volvo name and safety features. The price as also competitive. We live in the city so we V70 would have been too big. This car is somewhat too small, particularly in cargo area and backseat when compared to its competitors. He drives and handles well and is pretty zippy on the freeway. Gas mileage for city driving is surprisingly poor for a 4 cyl. car (15 mpg). Requires premium gas too!

From Volvo patriot to to Volvo hostage

bigalexk, 11/25/2008

The car was a subject of three repairs by warranty including one when I stuck in the road and the car was towed to an auto repair shop. After the warranty the owning of the car has turned into financial disaster. The car is purposely design to exclude or hinder repair by the owner. Now my car is 6 years old having 73000 miles on odometer and it has serious transmission problem. The repair costs so much that I cannot afford it. The car is filled with manufacturing defects and bad design solutions. While it was in repairs and I had chance driving S40 and V50. I found them even worse. What a big mistake I made when I got into this Volvo bondage!

Surprisingly competitive

Jackpot, 10/31/2002

Light, narrow and quick (once you get past the turbo lag). Excellent for the price, more fun and nicer than a Subaru, etc. Performs comparably to the BMW 3-series wagon, the MB C-class wagon, or the Audi A4 series for much less $. Handles well on snow.

No Regrets

biohazard6161, 11/21/2002

We always pictured Volvos as boxy, boring cars. I was really suprised when a friend recommended this car and once we saw it. The fit and finish is really very good as is the power and space and especially the safety and security features. if Volvo is aiming this car towards the younger generation and first time parents, they are on the right track.

good car for the money

jimg, 11/23/2002

I like the car very much I put around 65,000km a year The operating costs is low for a car from across the pond I will keep it for three years and move to a larger version though.. this car is fantastic in the city but lacks weight in the country roads

V40 vs. Passat

jseattle, 12/13/2002

We purcahsed the V40 over the Passat for three reasons: 1) no turbo lag in the V40 compared with noticable lag and kick in the Passat; 2) better exterior styling in the wagon configuration; and 3) better interior trim finishes-dash and leather feel. The engine feels like a V6 and is w/o noticible turbo lag and accleration wheel pull on the front wheel drive. Both we felt could have been better on the Passat we test drove.

This is a great car!

isabelle, 01/04/2003

What a great car. We recently went to look at the XC70 and didn't really like it as much. The V40 is comfortable, practical, and so fun to drive.

Superior

Paul van der Thujs, 02/28/2003

While VOLVO's are not known as fun or quick cars, this is a real surprise.

Love My Swedish Souvenir

Reina, 08/28/2003

My car has been great so far! It's a smooth, comfortable ride that's nicely equipped and offers good fuel economy-- especially highway. Cozy driver's seat too. And at $24K (including the Premium Package, Climate Package and a week-long trip to Sweden and London) the deal through the OVERSEAS DELIVERY program was beyond fair--and a fun experience!

An absolute steal!

JTK, 03/02/2003

Just picked up a new, fully loaded 2003 V40 a few days ago after doing extensive online research of smaller, upscale wagons. Feature wise (on paper), the V40 is by far the best value going vs. other upscale smaller wagons, such as the BMW 3-series and Audi A4A Avant. After our first hundred miles or so driving the car, it's clear this car doesn't miss a step vs. the competition. Especially with the current incentives. It's almost too good to be true.

V40: What a nice surprise!!!

Solo, 03/04/2003

I chose it over the VW Jetta and Passat wagons based on price and performance, V40's are absolutely a better value in Puerto Rico because VW's are overpriced. The exterior design is simple, but refined and tasteful. Interior design looks and feels expensive and well- finished. Excellent very supportive front seats. There is limited space on the rear seat, but it is roomy and comfortable enough for children and average adults. Acceleration and braking are more than adequate for daily commuting and will even allow some fun on twisty roads and long stretches. It cost only $26k, but every friends and aquaintances guess has been from $38k to $50k.

A great car at a great value!

akke bengston, 02/27/2004

I've always wanted an 1800ES wagon and I was surprised to discover the stylish v40 among the usual Volvo boxes. We drove it, liked it and bought one. The incentives on this car make it very appealing, especially considering next year's replacement looks too much like another VW. The more we drive it, the more we like it.

v-40

Patwest, 07/26/2004

It is almost as heavy as my old '95 850T (which had 210000 on it). Handles like a larger car. It has a lot of zip with the turbo engine. It U-turns in 3 lanes. Plenty of room for a bike, wheelchair, or lots of luggage. Middle seat is short, but not as bad as some compact wagons.

Fun Car, Safe Car

Jeremias Gentry, 03/28/2003

We were looking for a good combination of a vehicle that was fun to drive, safe in the event of an accident, and provided utility for a small family. We found it in the V40. I was suprised by the smooth acceleration and responsiveness, definitely enough to work through the perilous Atlanta traffic with ease. We test drove all the wagons and felt this was our best option.

Very Pleased

tdtg72, 04/04/2003

I bought this car after VW had to buy back my lemon Jetta. I really enjoy the wagon with my large dog. It looks youthful and doesn't necessarily scream soccer mom like the larger wagons. My V40 is fully loaded and everyone always comments on the headlight wipers. I love it.

my new volvo

Carol Choun, 11/13/2002

this has been an excellent car so far. great pickup, good gas mileage, smooth,fun to drive. lots of room, i have the wagon, plenty of storage, drives like a dream. good vision

Great Little Car

DKRoss, 06/19/2003

Well built car, lots of standard equipment. At $29.5K, it's not the best deal on the planet....but after a $4500 incentive, and a $200 deal...the net was $22.5K....a GREAT deal...when used MY2000's sell for $17K. mine has the 15" wheels and tires, I think I would go for the 16" setup. I added the Volvo front strut bar, makes a great differance in handling.

51050