Used 2003 Volvo V40 Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used V40 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

From Volvo patriot to to Volvo hostage

bigalexk, 11/25/2008

The car was a subject of three repairs by warranty including one when I stuck in the road and the car was towed to an auto repair shop. After the warranty the owning of the car has turned into financial disaster. The car is purposely design to exclude or hinder repair by the owner. Now my car is 6 years old having 73000 miles on odometer and it has serious transmission problem. The repair costs so much that I cannot afford it. The car is filled with manufacturing defects and bad design solutions. While it was in repairs and I had chance driving S40 and V50. I found them even worse. What a big mistake I made when I got into this Volvo bondage!

Surprisingly competitive

Jackpot, 10/31/2002

Light, narrow and quick (once you get past the turbo lag). Excellent for the price, more fun and nicer than a Subaru, etc. Performs comparably to the BMW 3-series wagon, the MB C-class wagon, or the Audi A4 series for much less $. Handles well on snow.

No Regrets

biohazard6161, 11/21/2002

We always pictured Volvos as boxy, boring cars. I was really suprised when a friend recommended this car and once we saw it. The fit and finish is really very good as is the power and space and especially the safety and security features. if Volvo is aiming this car towards the younger generation and first time parents, they are on the right track.

good car for the money

jimg, 11/23/2002

I like the car very much I put around 65,000km a year The operating costs is low for a car from across the pond I will keep it for three years and move to a larger version though.. this car is fantastic in the city but lacks weight in the country roads

V40 vs. Passat

jseattle, 12/13/2002

We purcahsed the V40 over the Passat for three reasons: 1) no turbo lag in the V40 compared with noticable lag and kick in the Passat; 2) better exterior styling in the wagon configuration; and 3) better interior trim finishes-dash and leather feel. The engine feels like a V6 and is w/o noticible turbo lag and accleration wheel pull on the front wheel drive. Both we felt could have been better on the Passat we test drove.