Used 2007 Volvo S60 R Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volvo S60 R Consumer Reviews

R 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Manual - (12 reviews )

'R' is a Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
By Kent Lupino

2007 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I'd been looking for a P2 Volvo S60R for many months, and finally found a 2007 1-owner, low mileage example locally that I just couldn't pass up. I purchased it a little over a month ago and so far haven't regretted it at all. I should be clear that the 'R' moniker for the 2004-2007 S60 series vehicles indicated a very different kind car than all of the non-'R' variants. So if you are looking for a review of any S60 model that doesn't have the 'R' badge, you can stop reading and move on to the next review. A significantly re-worked 300HP 5-cylinder engine, sport exhaust, electronically-controlled suspension, Brembo performance disc brakes, and AWD give the S60R a completely different driving character than its siblings. It's quick, nimble, and produces an angry snarl--not too loud or thrashy-- when the tachometer goes over 2k RPM. In terms of styling, the P2 S60's are admittedly divisive. People seem to like it or hate it. I like it. Fortunately, Volvo didn't go overboard with plastic cladding and spoilers on the 'R' models, adding a slightly different front and rear fascia, subtle 'R' badge on the front black cube grille and rear trunk lid, and great-looking 17" 5-spoke alloy wheels. I love the fact that other than the wheels, the car looks a lot like any other S60. It's a classic factory hot rod that looks like a 'sleeper'. The interior is also a step above other S60's, with premium leather sport seats that are amazingly comfortable, and classy real aluminum trim on the doors and center stack. The two things that I love most about the 'R' interior are the subtle contrasting blue stitching on the black areas of the door panels, handbrake, shifter boot, steering wheel, and dashboard and the metallic blue instrument dials. Classy! However, let's just say up front that the downside of the 'R' badge arrives with certain kinds of repair bills. Those 4-piston Brembo brakes are unique to the 'R', and definitely not cheap to replace. Neither is the big KKK turbocharger. Or the electronically-controlled struts. But if you take care of the car, those kinds of $$$ repairs don't come often. Now, I freely admit that the S60R is no BMW M3 in terms of overall performance, but I love it precisely because it's NOT a BMW M3. Nobody expects a pre-Polestar era Volvo to have a sporty character, but this one does, along with the safety and build quality that Volvo is famous for. But instead of flaunting that extra performance for everyone to see, it only reveals its superpower when called upon. Awesome.

150k miles and counting!!
By Christian

2007 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2007 Volvo S60 R used at 85k miles. It now has over 150k miles on it! In this time I have not had one problem with the car. It's given a scheduled oil change every 5k miles, and had its 120k mile regular maintenance. I do take very good care of my car, however, I enjoy having fun in it as well. With the DTSC system combined with AWD, the back country roads couldn't be more fun. This was my first car, and have had it since I was 16, so I'm sure you can guess the limits I've pushed this car to... None the less, it has held up better than I could've imagined. I recently took the car for a full 130 point inspection and it passed every single one. My mechanic doesn't doubt if I'll see 300k miles with this car. With all the good, I will have to complain about the turn radius, as it's about the same as truck. All in all it's a great car, I look forward to the life of this car and the other Volvos' I will be purchasing.

My Favorite Vehicle!
By Lee Clarke

2007 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Vehicles are my hobby and I've owned over 60 new ones, from basics (AMC Gremlin) to exotics (Lotus Esprit, MB E55 AMG, Saleens). I traded my 2006 BMW M3 convertible, 6 speed manual, for a 2007 Volvo S60 R, automatic. The S60 R is my favorite vehicle ever!

Looks, quality, sound system, ride, handling and exclusivity.

2007 is the last year for the S60 R. Therefore, why should I try to think of things I don't like? I love it just the way it is.

Excellent all-around street car
By Ric

2007 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

The best value in an all-around performance street car. Superb brakes. Car feels noticeably lighter than it is when driven hard in the mountains or on the track. More fun to drive with DTSC on because of active yaw control. Ignore most of the negative comments of some other reviewers. The R *has* vented brake rotors, the gas cap is on the side of the car away from traffic so it's not "wrong," there *is* a 6 CD changer option, turn the radio off for "mute" (duh), the key fob opens the trunk if you press the trunk button *twice* like it says in the manual (bad design, but it's right there in the book), and if you unlock the doors the trunk opens with the touch of a button.

Active yaw control, Brembo brakes, distinct sleek styling inside and out, advanced AWD system, and of course the excellent engine. The car feels like a luxurious rally car, especially when driven hard. It lacks the brute force of my M3, but it's nearly as fun albeit in a completely different way.

Needs better factory tires; the Pirelli Pzero Rossso are at the low end of mediocre. Turning radius is terrible.

no reason to panic
By S60R

2007 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had my R for about 6 months and couldn't be happier. I was a little nervous after reading some of the edmunds reviews, but can honestly say I have been thrilled thusfar. I got mine with the sport package. I, like many was looking at the IS350 and the GS. This is a hoot to drive, not as throaty and braggadosia as the Infinit, and feels bigger inside (at least the front seat) than the lex.

Very quick. I love to drive it on winding country roads. Comfy seats.

Nothing I didn't know when I bought it (rear leg room, average sound, turning radius).