Used 1990 Volvo 240 Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Volvo 240 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 240 model:

1990 Volvo 240 DL, still one of the best cars!
By Tito Montero

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Sedan

The 1990 Volvo 240 DL is one of the best cars out there! Many people don’t realize the amazing type of car the 240 is... It is not indestructible but with regular maintenance, like the one you should do to any other vehicle, it will last for many years. I rescued mine from a neighbor’s backyard and gave it a new life in March 2017. I did all the repairs reading the repair manual and using YouTube for reference. I used some original and replacement parts and the parts were easy to find and more affordable that my other vehicles. You will really enjoy driving and working on this car!

Best car I ever owned!!
By Ken Green

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Wagon

I drove my Volvo DL wagon for 25 years, until some kid made an illegal turn in front of me and wrecked my car. I was able to drive my steel Volvo home and was uninjured. His nose was injured and his newer plastic Nissan was a pile of confetti in the roadway. The cost to repair my car was much higher than the book value of the car, so I had to accept the insurance offer, which was actually very good. But it broke my heart having to part with my trusty Volvo, knowing it was headed to the scrap yard.

It's 2 years later and I have been asked to update this. What's to update? The car is dead and gone. :(

It's now three years later, and I've been asked again. I suspect my wonderful, dear departed Volvo was shipped to an Asian country, where it was stripped, melted down and shipped back as a Kia or Hundai. That's just an educated guess.

Correction: for some unknown (to me) reason, my Volvo is listed as a 1990. Actually it was a 1988.

Best car I ever owned
By dwags240

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Wagon

I lucked out and had a family friend that sold me their 90 240 Wagon DL for a great deal. One owner, highway miles (now 306,000) and no dents or rust. I had to put some work into it as far as replacing oil filters, power window motor, etc but it runs like a champ. I get more compliments on this car then my partner who has a 2013 volvo c30R. It is a true classic and volvo did not slack when building and designing it. I use the midgrade/premium to keep her healthy and running good. I would recommend this car to anyone who is looking for a classic reliable car. Surprisingly with it being rear wheel drive it is a tank in the snow because of how heavy and I get everywhere I need too!!

Heated Seats, cargo space, smooth ride

Cupholders! They definitely didn't think of that with the volvos of this year. Also the interior "leather" cracks and wears easily in older age as well as center console etc.

My obtainable dream car.
By gooby1

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Sedan

I've wanted a 240 since I was a kid, in the early 80's.. Since I began driving, I've owned Saab, BMW, Nissan, Daewoo (yeah, lol!) Audi, and Honda.. Only one of these were new, (the 'woo) and the rest were on the older end of things.. but certainly not 25 like my 1987 240! I recently purchased mine with about 150,000 miles.. it was well maintained and *everything* still works. I love the simplicity of the design, the fantastic ride, and great turning circle. The car may be slow, but it feels solid, competent, and surefooted. I'm looking forward to owning this for a while, and making a hobby out of it too :)

Durability. Still looks pretty good after 25 years. Steering - Turning circle is tighter than a Cheerio. Design - Super thick, almost soviet styling. Interior - Rockin' the same dashboard since 1974! Simplicity - Crank windows!! Yes! Most things are easily repaired and replaced. Also impressed with the updated A/C - (R134a) Does pretty well in 100 degree PHX heat.. I can't expect much when it's 115 tho :) Visibility - It's like driving a greenhouse. It does make for a very hot interior, however.. Hip factor - Immeasurable. The Volvo 240 is becoming an iconic classic, and are rising in value and desirability.

It would be nice if Volvo offered an honest, compact, solid RWD car.. Probably won't ever happen, but at least the 240 is infinitely durable! :)

proven faithful
By upret

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Wagon

I bought my first 240 in 1998, a '93 manual 5 speed Wagon.
Previously I had driven other cars and
wagons including Funeral Coaches and Limos.
The ride from the Volvo wagon was superior to those other long jobs!
Incredible comfort and a joy to drive, even as a stick shift.
I still love it and won't part with it because it is the best vehicle I have ever owned!
Recently I bought an '89 Sedan on Ebay for $400.00!
It still looks new! Same with the wagon, I really don't want to part with it. If you get a chance to buy one, do so!
'88-93 are the best models. The reviews here are all TRUE! Why did Volvo stop? Who knows!
The wagon still gives a better ride than the sedan in my opinion.