Used 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews

Used Tiguan for Sale
Select your model:
1...345678

Pros
Cons
4.25 out of 5 stars

False Advertising Adds Large Unexpected Expense

angry17, 06/03/2013
SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Navigation, Dynaudio, Rearview Camera (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The Tiguan sales brochure advertises "Trailer Hitch Preparation". After purchasing the car, I was told it would cost $1,000 for a hitch, five times the amount charged by other manufacturers. Non-dealer cost is not less expensive because of the cost of special parts and the labor needed to remove all the interior behind the rear seat to install the part. Complaints to VW about the cost and the implication that the claim is "Trailer Hitch Prepared" fall on deaf ears. After reviewing complaints from others, I realize that VW is poor on warranty work as well. Accordingly, I will never buy a VW again despite the fact they build excellent cars.

3.63 out of 5 stars

Brand new Tiguan already in the shop

tiguanowner, 01/13/2012
S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Already worried about my new Tiguan. After 800 miles of very gentle driving it started making a horrible metal clanking sound in the engine area. Dealing with 24-Hour VW Roadside assistance was also very disappointing. Thought 24 hour service meant that you get a tow within an hour of your call, but according to my experience it means you may not get a a tow for 24 hours. Took at least 3 phone calls over a 15 hour period to finally get a tow truck to my front door. Now car has to sit at the shop over the weekend because it got checked in too late on Thursday. Despite all of this I really love the car and hope the problem is minor. Will follow up with the diagnosis.

4.38 out of 5 stars

Safety Defect

dhsec1, 07/03/2012
SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

When in slow moving traffic the Auto Transmission does NOT downshift at RPM about 1100 or speeds about 15 MPH, and the engine begins to stutter as if it was about to stall. To correct this the driver must either press the gas pedal or manually downshift to the lower "S" gear selection. Pressing the gas pedal is dangerous unless there is much space between you & the car in front od you. Downshifting requires some decision time which is not always an alternative in highly congested traffic. The Tiguan is a wonderful car I would highly recommend EXCEPT for this defect!

4.25 out of 5 stars

Only 48 hours in, but awesome so far

guymeister, 11/19/2012
LE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I just picked up my new 2012 LE model 2 days ago, so I haven't had a lot of experience with it and can't comment on its long term durability, but so far, it's been awesome. It's much more car than I thought I was getting - very quick, yet with a very solid feel, quite fast (it feels much faster in 0 to 60 than the official times for it), it has more than enough conveniences, a lot of room, and it looks great. And the gas mileage is good (roughly 24 round town, which I think is exactly what it's supposed to be). I love it.

1...345678