Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 165 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

What a TDI, think again
By Say no to TDI

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased a 2009 Jetta TDI in June of 2009. I put a lot of miles on cars & I have put 36875 miles on this one in less than a year. It has been in the shop 2X for engine problems. First time it wouldn't start or even try to start. Had it towed to the dealer, they said there was nothing wrong with it. It's in the shop now with 2 bad fuel injectors, a bad fuel pressure sensor and a clogged DPF. I told the dealer many times that it would run rough, but they said there was nothing wrong with it. Luckily I had bought the 60k mile extended warranty, it covers everything except the DPF, & it was not covered by the extended warranty or the Federal Emissions Warranty. Wish I never bought this car!

Lots of power and better fuel mileage than a gas car. However it is missing things you would expect for paying 25k, like automatic headlights, dual climate control A/C or even an auto dimming rear view mirror.

I can only speak about the 09' TDI. There is definitely something wrong with the engine. Talked to VW Customer Care, in a nutshell, they don't care that I have had problems.

20K review - I love my TDI!
By Jon

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Traded my '06 Volvo S60 in June '09 for the Jetta (due to some quality issues) and couldn't be happier with the purchase. I drive ~350 miles/week, mix of highway and city, and average appr 41 mpg w/ a fairly heavy foot. My best is 47.5 on a trip from Bham to Nashville. The TDI's torque is impressive, and the turbo spool/blowoff sounds cool too! The interior is well built (even though I had an annoying rattle in the rear C- pillar, dealership fixed on 20k maint. visit). I appreciate the modest but functional interior layout. Even the sunroof is well designed! The gearbox shifts well and engages fluidly. My only beef w/ the car is the lack of option for cloth seats and the spongy brakes.

Fuel economy (main motivation for purch), surprising performance, interior material quality, dash layout, very supportive seats (almost thought they were too small at first, but I love them now). Drives just as well at 100mph as it does at 50. Huge trunk. Did I mention fuel economy?

Perhaps a reconsideration of speaker placement is in order - the sound comes all from beneath you. Needs better OEM brakes. I'd prefer cloth seats. Perhaps an option for a cabin heater for the winter, as the motor takes a while to come to temp. Overall, I'd highly recommend this car to anyone.

Great choice
By Mustafa

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

We love our TDI Jetta. It works great for our long trips. No need to fill up for over 500 miles on a highway. First diesel and loving it. Interior looks and feels great. Heating is not that great, but heated seats help a lot. We had issue with check engine light, and it was fixed under warranty. A lot of space in the back for all the bags.

nice torque, really great passing power, would never compromise with hybrid for driving experience with TDI, noise is not noticeable some of my friends didn't even know it was diesel, even after driving it, great panorama roof, interior looks much beer then competition

Ipod controls, better exterior look, fog-lights needed.

My TDI Eats Hybrids For Lunch
By pgallagh

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI Loyal Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I love this car!! Been driving a 94 Honda Accord forever (231K miles), and finally decided to treat myself to a newer car. Love my TDI Loyal edition. Bought it one week ago used w/31K miles and it has been fantastic. First day on my 120 roundrip commute got 46mpg and have avg. 41.6 since owning it. You'd never know it was a Diesel. Too bad USA automakers are too stupid to realize the DIESEL is the future!!! When I see Toyota, Ford, Honda advertise their cars get 32mpg (which is good), I shake my head knowing that I consistently beat that by 10mpg regardless of where I am driving. And no darn haz-mat battery to replace with a Hybrid. GO GET ONE WHILE THEY ARE STILL AROUND!!!!

Tight suspension; sunroof; excellent MPG. Fun, fun and more fun to drive. 6spd manual is great (although after driving a 5spd manual for 15 years, I often forget I have a 6th gear). Torque is great for when you're already moving on the freeway - pass cars with ease.

Full power seats; fog lamps; better radio (speakers good though a litte tinny). Sun-visors too short. Looks a little too much like a Corolla from the back.

Back to Volkswagen
By James Coombes

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI Loyal Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Owned very reliable Camry for years, but decided to try VW again after many years. I couldn't be much more pleased. I love this car. It's fun to drive (Camry was boring) and I average 39 mpg in mostly urban/suburban driving. Yeah, my iPod adapter is a joke, but they updated it on the 2010s. DSG works great for me, though it does feel a bit different than a standard automatics. You can easily adjust to it. My biggest decision was 16" or 17" wheels. 16" ride better over expansion joints. 17" handle better in tight curves. I wish I had both! So far my TDI is a great car. My local dealer is excellent too.

Diesel engine, steering, seats, handling, overall size.

2009 iPod adaptor is a literal joke. Import 170 hp, 258 fp TDI engine, though current 236 fp US version ain't too shabby. Bring on the GTD. I'll buy!