2017 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Fantastic Value
By Satisfied Golf Owner

2017 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback TSI S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased this car because I needed something both comfortable and fun to drive. I was initially shopping for a GTI, but opted for the Golf instead because it has more comfortable seats. Very happy with my purchase after 14 months and 6000 miles. The car is a pleasure to drive; the 5 speed is a lot of fun to shift and the turbocharged engine provides plenty of power for passing and merging. The steering is precise and the car handles well. The suspension is well balanced, being stiff enough to provide secure handling, yet soft enough to absorb pot hole impacts. Bluetooth, Android Auto and Apple Car Play all work well. The car has two screens, one in the center console and the other in the center of the instrument cluster. Having two screens comes in handy when you are using Apple Car Play for navigation and need to, at the same time, change radio stations or call back a recent number. Note for car buyers suffering from hip/back pain. This car has very well placed pedals, that is, the brake pedal is significantly more to the right than it would be in a Honda. This means that you stretch less to reach the brake pedal. For some people this will translate into less hip and/or back pain.

Love it
By Luis

2017 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback TSI SE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Outstanding car value for its price. Real quality at a bargain fair price!

Best buy for the money!
By Nicholas Adams

2017 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback TSI S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Has the same features (except leather seats and sunroof) as my Toyota Camry SE. Only....Camry has a 2.5L engine with 168HP. Golf has 1.8L engine with 170HP!

My umpteenth VW and probably the best yet!
By JGage

2017 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback TSI Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My first car was a '71 beetle and I've been drinking the Wolfsburg kook ade ever since. I've had an odd Camry or Accord in there, even a couple Audis and the awesome 2002 VW Passat W8 wagon. I have a '14 BMW 335i M Sport at the moment. Awesome car. Yet I find myself enjoying driving the Golf (5M has a lot to do with that) as much as the Bimmer in everyday driving. Quality is fantastic as are features, ride, handling, acceleration, drivability. I worried I'd miss the 6th gear my last '12 Sportwagen TDI had but truth is I was often skipping gears in that car anyway, especially 5th--just shifted straight from 4-6. Even in this car there's easily enough power to go from 3-5. And 3rd gear is more useful than ever before. Would a 6M help 0-60? Probably. But 5 gears in everyday driving is plenty. Even a little less taxing. Anyway for the money (I got mine for just over $19,200 excl TTL) so considering that is less than 1/3 what the Bimmer was brand new, this car is a bargain.

Update--I'm still satisfied with this car in every way. It still looks, drives and feels like new with 12K miles. I also find myself driving this car 6/7 days over my Bimmer as I just really enjoy it (and like keeping miles off the Bimmer.) Also keep in mind the extraordinary value... the Wolfsburg Edition offers virtually all of the SE features for several thousand less. Finally, one thing I didn't realize I'd appreciate as much as I do is the collision avoidance. The car has warned me a few times of some close-calls and it was spot on. One time it even braked for me when a dog ran in front of me!

4th vw
By Bill P 518

Golf Wolfsburg White with Manual tran. Great car. Replaced regular golf that was 3 weeks old and totlaled. Prior 03 Passat 1.8t wagon. Prior 08 Passat 2.0t sedan. Always had good comfort reliability and performance in VW. Apple car play is great. Nice car inside and out. Bought at Fussilo vw in Schenectady Bill Watson was most helpful and a pleasure to work with (twice due to other new one being totaled, no injuries )