2017 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

The perfect car for me!
By John Pawlik

2017 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback TSI S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've always liked small cars but this has a large car feel where you want it. My 1st new car was a 77 Rabbit. This has the same quickness and agility of the old one. This one is much more powerful and quiet. Both are so much fun to drive. Parking is a snap. Plenty of room for me the Mrs., the 50 lb dog and the grandson in the car seat. I was shocked to see my gas mileage was well above government ratings when I wasn't playing Mario Andretti. Highway I'm getting 40+. I just love this car...… I wanted a manual originally like my 77 rabbit but the Mrs. convinced me to get the AT. You won't be disappointed. PS... It has a CD player, a huge plus for an old man like me.

The "Can Do" car
By AJL

2017 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback TSI Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I wanted a GTI, but I didn't want to spend the money on the GTI, specifically the GTI SE. I drove a competing car ( Kia Forte SX) and a total outlier ( Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti) before buying my Golf. Having owned a Focus before and other cars in this class, I was fairly set on the VW family. I have not been disappointed a year in to the car. As Car and Driver once wrote, the Golf is the Mercedes (or more appropriately the Audi) of the small car set. This car does everything fairly well and nothing poorly. The driving dynamics (ride, handling) of a German car, even if it's built in Mexico as all US Golfs are, cannot be denied and the competitors get close, they never get it just right. It's a cruiser when you want, it's willing when you want to push it. I replaced the standard 16 inch wheels with 17 inch wheels and Michelin Pilot tires. A bit more noise and a slightly harsher ride are worth the trade-off of this improvement. The hatch holds a great deal of stuff when you need it to and the Wolfsburg trim really lacks nothing. Yes, the seats are V-Tex ( VW's name for vinyl) but most people won't know and they are comfortable (and heated in this trim). The only complaints are the lack of HID headlights and that the air conditioning seems a bit weak on anything less than Max when it's really hot. I'd probably spend the extra on a GTI if I did it again, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy my Golf.

Fantastic Value
By Satisfied Golf Owner

2017 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback TSI S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased this car because I needed something both comfortable and fun to drive. I was initially shopping for a GTI, but opted for the Golf instead because it has more comfortable seats. Very happy with my purchase after 14 months and 6000 miles. The car is a pleasure to drive; the 5 speed is a lot of fun to shift and the turbocharged engine provides plenty of power for passing and merging. The steering is precise and the car handles well. The suspension is well balanced, being stiff enough to provide secure handling, yet soft enough to absorb pot hole impacts. Bluetooth, Android Auto and Apple Car Play all work well. The car has two screens, one in the center console and the other in the center of the instrument cluster. Having two screens comes in handy when you are using Apple Car Play for navigation and need to, at the same time, change radio stations or call back a recent number. Note for car buyers suffering from hip/back pain. This car has very well placed pedals, that is, the brake pedal is significantly more to the right than it would be in a Honda. This means that you stretch less to reach the brake pedal. For some people this will translate into less hip and/or back pain.

Love it
By Luis

2017 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback TSI SE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Outstanding car value for its price. Real quality at a bargain fair price!

Best buy for the money!
By Nicholas Adams

2017 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback TSI S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Has the same features (except leather seats and sunroof) as my Toyota Camry SE. Only....Camry has a 2.5L engine with 168HP. Golf has 1.8L engine with 170HP!