Used 2012 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Americans don't understand this great car
By Oliver

2012 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This base 2012 Golf is my second VW, and far better than the 2007 Jetta I once had. Despite criticism for its weak fuel economy, I get upper 20's to mid-30's depending on the type of driving, and that's all on REGULAR gas. I frequently get between 400 and 500 miles per tank! Interior quality, cargo capacity, driving dynamics, and comfort are legendary. Few of these are sold in the U.S. even though it's the #1 car sold in Germany— the "F150 of Germany." The performance is so much better than an economy car that I consider Golf the sweet spot between fuel efficient and sporty. What I love about the base model is that the 2.5 Inline-5 is super-durable when cared for on the factory maintenance schedule. This will outlast almost any 4-cylinder turbo because it's a simpler engine that runs at lower revs. I've put almost 25,000 miles on this car in a year and a half with not the slightest problem, and it's as good in snow and ice (on snow tires) as it is the rest of the year. I love the Teutonic simplicity and quality, and after sitting in GTI's, I much prefer my base model cloth interior.

Buy a GOLF!!
By LaUN

2012 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L 4dr Hatchback w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is the most fun car I have ever owned. As a die hard Honda owner, found this VW Golf on a used car lot when I had to replace my 2003 honda van. IT IS AWESOME. Ridiculous mpg and road handling. I heart this car. You should get one too.

Great Car...but it's like an iPhone
By volvogirl5

2012 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I was torn between a Golf and the Ford Focus. Ultimately, the interior detail and materials sold me on the Golf.
It looks like an Audi on the inside (especially at night!). My cloth seats are comfortable and ergonomically correct. I can fit 4 adults in the car without it feeling cramped.
Currently getting approx 315 miles per tank. It's really a quality vehicle.
The only downside is that my service light has come twice in the past year that I've owned it.
The computer on the vehicle needed an update.
Although the updates are free at VW, its time consuming and annoying.
Service guy told me its like owning an iphone and there's no warning when you might get the light.

4 Door Golf
By danjv

2012 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L 4dr Hatchback w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've owned this car for just a couple weeks, but I can already tell this is the great car I hoped it would be.
It doesn't come with the most features, it doesn't get the best gas mileage, and it doesn't have the most back seat room.
But if you want a car that makes you say "Ahhhhhh" every time you get in and can't spend $35k, get a Golf. Think of it like the iPhone of the car world: the best designed, most well executed, solid-feeling car you can buy for the money. Drive this, then drive something else - you'll be frustrated.

The engine is smooth and surprisingly powerful. The transmission is good, but regular mode is a bit economy minded - Sport mode is where I leave it most of the time.

Information display, 8-way adjustable front seats, adjustable center arm rest, auto up/down windows all around, Rolex-like gauges, cooled glove box, the best steering in any car (ever), transmission sport mode: all the little things you buy a Volkswagen for.

The seat bolsters are great while cornering, but they are a bit over-bolstered for highway cruising. One feature I wish it had is auto headlights. The manual-shift mode in the transmission is a little to nanny-ish (won't hold the redline, etc.). Could use a bit more interior storage. The performance of the standard wheels and tires is underwhelming, so I highly recommend upgrading to a set of 17 inch wheels. I drove both and it makes a world of difference, so I did and have not regretted it. The ride is still great on the highway.

I love my car!
By denicep1

2012 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L PZEV 2dr Hatchback w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I spent six months researching cars before subscribing to Consumer's. They had listed the Golf as the number 1 hatchback. I had looked at one before, but someone had told me they heard from a friend that they weren't really good cars, so I stopped considering them. But I decided to get a quote to see what I could buy one for.

I was really impressed with the price quote (less than invoice) so I went to test drive. It drove like a dream and had everything I was looking for in a car. I even got 1.84% for five years.

In the end it was a no-brainer: great car for a great price. I've only had it five weeks, but I love it so far.

A lot of power for a small car. Handles well. Interior is better quality than other cars I looked at in that price range. Good stereo with Sirius.

None