Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Tacoma for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

The Truck I've Alway's Wanted!!!!!

Jamie Crawford, 12/06/2016
4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned several trucks in my life. But, when I was in the Army I bought an older base model 2wd Toyota truck. It had the Manual Transmission which was a blast to drive. I put that little truck through it's paces, especially when I went Deer hunting. After I got out of the Army and got into Law Enforcement, the idea of owning another Toyota never left my mind. I'm a big fella with 5 children, so I knew if I was going to get another Toyota, it would have to be the 4 door model. I also wanted a 4x4. So I finally found one back in 2013. It's a 2004 Tacoma, 4 Door and 4x4. Since I've had it, I know that I will never own another truck unless it's a Toyota. Now that I'm a single Father of 5 children, ages ranging from 14 to 4, all of us fit comfortably even with my 4 year old's seat. The previous owner had placed an alarm on it, which made it make that aggravating sound every time I used the remote to lock it, so I quickly disabled it. But other than that, I absolutely LOVE my truck. I've only had to use my 4 wheel drive "low" a couple of times when Deer hunting. It's amazing, of course the turning radius while in 4 wheel low isn't the greatest, but I think that's the case in most 4x4 trucks. But I was pleasantly surprised when I had to use the 4 low, and how easy it was to get me out of my situation's. The only negative thing I can think of about my truck is the clock location. It's located a little lower than the steering wheel and if I need to see what time it is, I have to look around the steering wheel to see it. Other than that, I think it's common knowledge that a Toyota vehicle is reliable and with regular maintenance, will last you for a very long time. I wished I could afford a new model, but maybe after I win the lottery, I guess I should start playing it first. But like I said, when it's time to pass my truck down to my boys, I will not buy anything other than a Toyota. They look great, run great, have good safety features, are fairly economical and will last it seems like forever, depending on how the owner drives it and maintains it. I'm a Patriot and I buy American made products when I can, but in my opinion there isn't an American made truck that's half as reliable as a Toyota. So drive safe, wear that seat belt, and I hope that whomever reads this has a blessed day. God Bless America and I hope God Blesses each and everyone of you.

An excellent vehicle!

Corey Dulan, 02/07/2016
4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Ive had mine for ten years. I bought it in '06 with 27k miles. Loved it the moment I drove it, its a great all around vehicle. Ive NEVER broke down. Only thing that has gone out on its own was the A/C compressor at 148k miles, it has 202k as of 2/6/16. Gas mileage is ok but this truck is solid and well worth the investment. I wont drive anything but a Toyota after having this incredibly reliable truck. Cant say enough good things about it except I wish I had another one or three.

Happy Camper

Real McCoy, 09/02/2009

Best vehicle I have ever owned, very sporty looking and scheduled oil changes is only maintenance that has been required. Very happy with this vehicle.

Toyota trucks can't be beat

Uncle Dan, 07/31/2005

I sold my beloved '88 Toyota extended cab truck to buy this one. That was the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned and I hope the Tacoma holds up as well. After 11,000 miles, no problems at all. This is a well designed and laid out small truck. I purchased it through Edmunds internet referral service and it was simple. I entered the options I wanted and the next day I got a call from North Hollywood Toyota. They had the exact vehicle I wanted in stock and quoted a price that was 10% under sticker. I may have saved more with a lot of calls, but it wasn't worth it. I told em I'd be out to pick it up and I was in and out of the dealer in less than an hour. Simple.

I trust this truck to get me wherever, whenever

Indy, 12/22/2017
4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Let me start by saying the people who say these trucks are unreliable or have left them stranded, I don't believe them. This is coming from someone who has one with 230,000 miles on the clock, that's been beat senseless off-road and driven long hard miles on road. Never once has it had an issue. Not once! Just basic maintenance and care. To me this includes the replacement of things that get worn out after 200k miles off-road. Like wheel bearings, tie rods, shocks etc. Which I have had to do, but like I said I've never had an unexpected break down or issue. This truck has been %100 reliable. I also see a lot of people complaining about ride comfort which I admit is not great, but what you have to understand is Toyota build a vehicle to get you there, not pamper you. That's why Lexus was born. It's not meant to be a luxury sedan. It's a truck, grow up. The Tacoma is meant to give you the confidence to go anywhere you want to go because it can and will make it there. Doesn't get the best mpg, the interior quality is just a bit below average and it could use a bit more power if you ask me, but non of that means anything to me in the grand scheme of things because properly maintained I would trust this truck to get me around the world... a few times.

GREAT LITTLE TRUCK!

Jar-Head!, 09/16/2004

I finally decided to get rid of my 94 Toyota Pickup Truck (135,000 miles on it) and upgrade to something a bit nicer. I had to go with another Toyota truck - my 94 was just so good to me and really did hold its value - even with the high mileage. I wanted to wait for the new and redesigned 05 Tacoma but figured that the current model has been battle tested (something that new vehicles can only claim after being around for a few years). I really wanted a 4-door but was turned off at first when I found out that they only came with automatic transmissions. After a test drive I changed my mind. Bottom line - it's a very solid truck that will last!

My Used '04 Taco D-Cab

Rattles, 07/13/2006

I bought this truck used and it only had 10k on it. Its my 3rd Toyota truck; an 89 XtraCab with 163k and a 91 4Runner with 269k (both had 22REs and 5 speeds). This truck was near-perfect for me for what I was looking for. The only problem I have had is a squeaky rear leaf spring. Otherwise it lives up to its Toyota reputation. I love the DoubleCab after having a sedan.

Tacoma Crew

gnshpdude, 05/16/2007

2.7 L Is a little underpowered and only gets 1 MPG more then my friends V6 Tacoma. Seats get a little uncomfortable on long rides. Other then that a great reliable truck.

Lemon

DevScott, 06/25/2004

My tacoma broke down after a week, had it fixed, broke down again two weeks later. They have been blaming it on interior water leaks that short out the electronics. It's in for the third time now, still leaking water, still breaking down. 2000 km. 5 weeks old. It's been in the shop for 12 days and counting. Anybody can make a lemon. Don't get caught up in

THE 4 DOOR TACOMA

JIM IN FLORIDA, 08/22/2004

,THE 4 DOOR IS GREAT FOR 4 PEOPLE OR FOLD DOWN THE SEAT FOR STORAGE.I SEE IN THE REVIEWS THAT WE ALL DONT LIKE THE CLOCK,, I CHECK IT AT RED LIGHTS,,HAHA,,I LIKE THE WAY IT HANDLES, DESCENT ON GAS,(LIVING IN FLORIDA WITH THE A/C ON ALOT CAUSES MUCH LOWER GAS MILEAGE)LIKE THE RELIABLITY OF IT,THE ONE THING I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IS A DIGITAL TYPE COMPASS ON THE MIRROR LIKE I SEE IN SOME OTHER 25,000 DOLLAR VEHICLES. I TRAVEL ALOT WITH MY TRUCK AN MAYBE A DIGITAL COMPASS/TEMPERATURE GAUGE COMBO ON THE REAR VIEW MIRROR.I'D LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE NOTICES AFTER IT RAINS, THE WATER DRIPS RIGHT INTO THE POWER WINDOWS CONTROLS

Nice truck

clintstacoma, 08/23/2004

Bought the truck a 2 weeks ago. Already I want to buy another one (only 4 wheel drive) and give this one to the wife. She is addicted to it.. Right now she drives a corolla. I wish the truck was sold a little bit more user friendly..IE.. floor mats, bed liner etc..

MY 2001 TACOMA

LUCY, 09/07/2004

I spoke to dealers and mechanics about this, and I all get is that they all do that, which I find that real b.s. Another thing, the rubber around my windows are much harder to keep clean for the first time in 30 years. I have been a Toyota owner since the 70's and never had that problem-ever.. I spoke to the dealers and the mechanics and all they tell me is that they have to be cleaned with soft scrub and use wax on it.... Since when was I told to use bathroom cleaner on my truck? I know that it is not under warranty-but I would love to hear from you-I can get that replaced for free....

Week one

Ragin24, 10/04/2004

Bought mine over the weekend and was off on a road trip that put on just more that 500 miles. I can only hope that as the motor breaks in, the mielage will increase as I wasn't impressed by what I did get in that dept.. I'm sure it's due to breakin time needed. Comfort was pretty good overall. I wish it had a lumbar adjustment though. What can I say about the styling that hasn't been said already. This thing is a nasty looking truck. I know I'm going to love owning this this. No more full size p/u's for me.

My First Truck

monchichi, 10/05/2004

This is a truck that has SUV plus pick- up truck characteristics combined for a great price. Nice looking truck with handsome exterior features. Especially, silver. This truck has the ability to haul up to 6,000 pounds and is pretty good on fuel. This is my first car, and I love it with a passion because it's reliable, sporty, rugged and sturdy. IF you want a car for a great price and if you like a SUV and can't afford it, then this one is for you. I love my 2004 Toyota Tacoma and would recommend for anybody out there looking to buy a truck but not spend and arm and a leg for it.

Meets my needs

truck buyer, 11/03/2004

Bought the vehicle after much comparing between Colorado/Tacoma. I am NOT a foreign car snob--I drive what works money wise and needs wise. If Chevy had been offering 0% when I was looking it would have been a toss- up. That being said: It is more comfortable on the road then I initially imagined. The Dif lock is great--got me unstuck in mud twice already. The ground clearance is nice. I get 19mpg in town and 21mpg on the hi-way in New Mexico. I have 5800 miles on it with no problems. It is tight and fun to drive, but watch the back end. Acceleration is fine, but I am a light footed driver.

Slightly too small

2nd thoughts???, 11/02/2004

I have owned my V6 Double Cab Tacoma for almost exactly one year now and for the most part...I love it. However, the head room and leg room are a bit too small for someone who is much over 6' tall. Also, the front seats are not very wide. I looked at the Ford F150 but was too scared at the time to buy a Ford. The Double Cab Tundra had just come out and so I figured would settle on the Tacoma. I hate to sell or trade it in but the interior size and truck bed may force me into a Tundra or F150. P.S. Do not even consider the 4 cylinder in the Double Cab....way too underpowered!

Disappointed

Taco, 08/19/2005

The transmission has a shift problem. The dealer was able to somewhat correct the problem but it by far the worst shifting automatic transmission I have ever driven. It is very hard to park this truck. I am trading the truck in on a 2005 Toyota Tundra next week. I hope I have better luck.

EXPENSIVE JUNK

santafenm, 11/28/2005

Cannot drive when snowing as transmission linkage freezes in Drive. Have to carry cement blocks in bed so I can block wheels when frozen. Have to wait til temp is above freezing to get into N or P to start. Took to dealer. They didnt fix it - just thawed it out and gave it back to me. Just got out of shop as a rock hit the underside of truck on a dirt road and punctured the gas tank ($700 to fix). I own a $30K 4WD pickup that cannot be driven on dirt roads or in the snow - AWFUL.

I bought it for quality...so I thought!

EricAB, 02/11/2004

I drive about 100 miles a day; after a few months of spending about 60-80 dollars a week just to get to work I decided on a toyota 4door tacoma after a little research I found they are horrible on pollution & gas(17mpg hwy POOR) but I had my heart set on this model so I bought it. I ended up regretting (don't go to Toyota of Claremont) they're tactics are unsavoury!

Very well built truck!

martinjmpr, 07/06/2007

Bought it used in Jan 07 when we were in the middle of our 9 blizzards this year! The truck has been awesome, seems to go almost anywhere. This is my 2nd Toyota, my first was an 85 4x4 truck I bought new in 85. Toyotas are popular around here and for good reason: They're tough, reliable and very well made. MPG has been better than the EPA estimate: I get 18.5 in the city and 22-23 on the the highway. V6 is not extremely powerful but it gets the job done. Manual tranny is fun to drive and gives decent economy as well.

Can't beat a Tacoma

photoman, 12/24/2009

This is my third Tacoma. Just do the regular maintenance and they'll run forever. Durable, reliable and fun to drive.

good but not great

esteband67, 03/18/2009

Purchased 04 Tacoma new. Love the outside looks. Power is good but not great. Dash and controls good. The clock is not visible but who cares. Everyone complains about the 4 cup holders. I love it! Put change in one, water in another, and Coke in another. Still one left for passenger. Only have 40,000 and the water pump went out. Good thing I got the extended warranty. I thought I would get at least 20 mpg on freeway but only have gotten 19. I get 16 in city which is horrible. For that matter, I would have gotten a Tundra. Would of got more power out of it and more room. I doubt I would get another toy. Nice truck, but expensive. Would look for something cheaper next time.

2004 Tacoma 4Dr. 4X2 TRD Limited.

TrackerDan, 09/21/2003

This trucks only 300 miles old; but it is a pleasure to drive, quiet, and well prepared to do business. The 3.4 V6 will be running like new long after it is paid off. A big improvent in the automatic transmission. Cabin noise is whisper quiet. You will want the limited package for sure. A big difference in the seating comfort with the limited upgrade. The stereo is nice. The truck halls you know what. I'm saving up for the turbocharger.

Oh What a Feeling!

Wacky, 09/25/2003

I've owned this truck for almost seven months now. I find that it handles well for a truck.

tacoma

jim, 04/12/2005

Interior noise @ fuel economy would be the only negatives. Average 17 winter 19 summer. Was rated at 19 so I knew this going in.

My car

Gabriel Velez, 07/15/2004

it is a nice truck

60000 Mile Review

DanB, 01/05/2008

I bought mine new in 2004. I have not had a single mechanical issue with the truck. An improperly tightened gas cap triggered a check engine light several months back, but it cleared itself. This truck has good low range power. I have had 1200 pounds of hardwood floors in the bed and have pulled a 21-foot Ranger boat with it. It pulls better than my previous full-size Bronco, but doesn't have the mid-range or top-end of other trucks. It works well within its rated capacities. I average 21 mpg, but this is because I don't drive hard. If I drove like most traffic, I'd get the advertised 18 mpg. The comfort of the seats was absolutely terrible and I have replaced the seats which helped.

Doublecab 4x4 TRD off road limited

Oats , 09/28/2003

My fourth Toyota 4x4 truck great vehicles

Back to Tacoma

Steve ATL, 12/09/2004

Back to Toy truck after trying Ford & Saturn- not nearly same quality. Had '90 4x4 Toy P/U and loved it. 100 miles a day- great cruising highway and some offroad. Don't miss 4x4 much- this has height and view I like and handles great. Plenty of power and if this runs like my old truck- just change oil and go. Had 150,000 on my old one and gave it to my brother,

CONSUMER

MAP0728, 10/04/2003

LOT'S OF ROOM, GOOD LOOKING, GREAT SAFETY FEATURES, GOOD VALUE FOR THE MONEY.

Tacomas are top Toys!

TOYLC1978, 10/17/2003

Traded in a 1999 3/4 ton Silverado I bought new. This Tacoma carries & drives BETTER than the Chevy! I haven't towed as heavy loads, but it tracks great in town. I've also carried 1200 lbs. of rock payload on the freeway--great acceleration & no change in fuel economy. Love that I can park it anywhere. There's also WAY more room in the double cab rear seat than was in the Silverado. Who says you need a full size truck?? It's truly a Toyota!

great truck

patz, 02/18/2005

I have only put 900 miles on in the first 5 months, put away for winter, love it so far, hopefully gas mileage gets better with more miles, 14.5 in the city,

DOUBLE CAB THE ULTIMATE 4X4 TOYOTA

Big Al Double Cab, 11/27/2003

This is my Third Toyota 4x4 Truck and our Fourth Toyota Vehicle. I previously owned a 1979 and a 1992 Toyota 4x4. The 2004 Toyota Double Cab has to be best one to date. We Mountain Bike, Ski, hit the Beaches and everything we need can be put in the truck bed and still leave plenty of room for the family to ride in the cabin with plenty of space. To us, it is the "Ultimate Vacation Vehicle" and my everyday driving vehicle. They simply build the best quality compact Trucks. True they are a little more expensive, but you can't put a price tag on the confidence a Toyota Truck gives you especially in Bad Weather.

Excellent......almost

pdhats, 12/05/2003

A better selection of interior colors. Not everyone wants light colors, especially those with children/pets. You should be able to shut off the headlights when you desire too. If you can now I have never figured it out. Better quality bedliner. P.S. Stop charging for even the ink you use to fill out the contracts. It is definately a put off for buying a vehicle. Stand out amongst the crowd.

Worth Every Penney

dbatten, 06/29/2005

Well, I've owned my Tacoma for almost a year now and it's time to review it. I had wanted one for about two years and when I found out they were changing the style for the '05 I went in and bought an '04. I'll let Toyota work the bugs out of the new design before I give it a try. Toyota is good, but not perfect and the '04 is basically the same truck they have been building for 9 years. They've had lots of time to get it right. So, what did I get for my money? I got a vehicle that I can take my wife and 3 kids in to get groceries or I can take a few buddies and enough gear to go camping for a week. It's smaller size and high ground clearance allow me to go places where others can't.

so far so good

TacomaHi, 12/20/2003

I am to say the least pretty impressed so far with my 2004 Tacoma. I assummed the ride would be a lot rougher than what it actually is. It is actually very smooth. Engin seems pretty much up to anything that I want to do. The overall workman ship is excellant.

my truck

crewcabman, 12/27/2003

its a great looking truck and you can put items in the back seat in bad weather instead of the truck bed.

Never wanted a truck

Mikey, 08/30/2005

I personally never wanted a truck. I took this vehicle for a test drive (my wife said it was a "cute" truck) in the parking lot of a closed down supermarket - 1.5 feet of snow with 4 foot drifts (TRD package). It walked through it with ease, so I bought it and added a spray in bed liner and cover. I've taken it off-road, on highway trips and towed many different trailers. It's done everything I've asked of it. With the TRD package, the ride is a little stiff until you throw 500lbs in the bed. After buying it, I'm not sure how we got along without it.

A Really Great Compact Truck

ursa5000, 12/31/2003

The five words to describe my truck: Solid..Reliable...Workhorse... Practical...Fun. We leased a 2001 that we added running boards, a Leer Camper shell and a bed liner. We have hauled fire wood, funiture, bricks, yellow labs, grandfather clocks, and antiques. The engine loves to be pushed and I have not had a single engine problem. The auto transmission shifts hard from second to first . Make no mistake this is a truck and it is a bit top heavy so no Hollywood driving. Yesterday ,I bought a new Corolla for the wife. The dealer saw my truck in the lot, and one thing led to another and I traded a for a new 2004 truck with ABS and lock dif..

Tacoma Prerunner Review

fpsakes1, 01/04/2004

I have found that this truck is first class in nearly every respect. The ride is comfortable and I have not experienced any problems with my lower back after an extended period of driving. It is a very responsive vehicle, with no delay in acceleration at critical times. Nor, is there any sway when cornering or at highway speeds around curves. I have no criticisms about the interior decor. (See below about the clock and rear head restraints.)

Good truck, rough ride

Bull gator, 01/06/2004

I actually purchased this truck in june of 2002. During the first couple of months I really enjoyed this truck. But, then the harsh ride and the plywood seats started hurting my back every time I went off road or on a trip for longer than 2 hours. I am getting ready to purchase a 1500 crew cab chevy in june, and I can't wait for that smoother ride and those soft seats.

o what a feelin

Rogcooksen, 01/07/2004

great truck. plenty of power. pulls my boat with no problem. never gave me any trouble. jus turn key and go

love the truck

dave hsu, 01/20/2004

reliability and comfort, along w/solid ride, makes it the best small pickup i have ever owned!

Love the Limited

Carolyn Luna, 01/24/2004

I love my 4x4. We bought the 4x4 and the stock 2x2 2004 Tacomas. The Limited package added the luxury I was looking for in a vehicle I love to drive it.

Great offroad, harsh ride

Citrus man, 01/24/2004

I now have 50000 miles on my Tacoma. During the fist couple of months I really liked this truck. But, then I started realizing how it will beat you do death off road, and after a long road trip your back will beg for mercy. Overall, it's fun to drive and is great off road. However, its stiff ride and plywood type seats make it a very ucomfortable truck to drive.

Overpriced Toyota

truckin Todd, 01/14/2004

I am sorry that I bought this truck for the money I paid for it. After driving my friends Nissan Frontier CrewCab longBed with the super charged v6 and hearing what he paid, I realized there is something better out there. Don't get me wrong, this is a good reliable truck, but it cost more, has a shorter bed, less power and torque, more interior noise and is lacking in certain options.

Great all Around Truck

Derick, 01/21/2004

I must say that I love the 2004 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5. It is a great all around truck. It is a very tightly built truck. Great ground clearance, good power but could use a touch more horsepower and I have done a few things to mine to bring it from it's 190 stock hp to just over hundred. Torque would be comparable. I love the stock rubber. I have went every where my friends have gone in there 4wheel drive trucks and some places that they couldn't. Don't ask me how, I don't know, it justs goes. I do have the posi-trac rear-end. I have found nothing I couldn't haul pulling or in the bed. I love my truck!!

Review of my '04 Taco

NealsToy, 01/22/2004

I've received plenty of compliments on the looks of my Tacoma. I love driving it. Lots of power when you need it the most. Solid build.

I LOVE THIS TRUCK

sqwrilytaco, 02/17/2004

This truck was a repacement for my much- loved 1990 4Runner. Line-X'd and Snugtop'd This is my daily driver and gets me to the snow (almost) every weekend. The 3.4L engine is much more powerful than the 3.0L that was in my 4Runner. The truck has more than enough power, and climbs the Sierra's like a gorilla climbs a tree. The DC has enough room for everybody -- my friend who's about 6'2" 250+ fits comfortably in the backseat rather easily. The short bed is great for manuevering thru the parking lot at work, and has more than enough space for all my weekend gear (snowboards).

A Girl's Favorite Toy

Dayna, 02/17/2004

This truck is the best!!! I take it off road just about every weekend (on the beach). It rides so good! Keep on making them!!!!!!!!!!!!

51050