Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Tacoma for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

A Girl's Favorite Toy

Dayna, 02/17/2004

This truck is the best!!! I take it off road just about every weekend (on the beach). It rides so good! Keep on making them!!!!!!!!!!!!

love to drive my toyota truck

jason bowden, 02/28/2004

the truck looks great.i drove many trucks before purchasing this model.even against full size tucks this had the most rear legroom.with a bed cover i get almost 20mpg in it.i think the seats are very comfortable,much better than the honda i had previously.the trd package is definitely worth the money,and i haven't had any trouble with the truck.

King of the Road

PreAmocat, 03/05/2004

This is a fun car to drive. This is my first pick up truck, and I'm loving it. It's half SUV/pick up. Can't beat that.

ray's review

raymond depouli, 03/09/2004

a dream come true

Great Truck

yahoo, 03/11/2004

I put the Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma head to head online specs were very similar. I test drove them back to back and my opinions are: The Toyota looks much better. Something just doesn't appeal to me on the Nissan front end. The Toyota felt more solid all around and of better quality. One thing that stood out was the Nissan steering wheel felt "loose" (dont know how else to explain it.) Nothing really stood out that I really liked about the Nissan except the price but the additional Toyota cost will payoff later in reliability. The Nissan was cheaper but I obviously went with the Toyota for the above reasons. 5,400 trouble free miles.

New Toy

GeoBigJon, 03/19/2004

I have driven many trucks but this one is the best by far. We own a Dodge and sevral Chevy's on the ranch but none of them compare to the build quality of the Toyota. Not the most powerful on the market, or largest, but hands down my favorite.

American trucks suck!

uvlsalsmn1, 03/19/2004

My 3rd toyota! Love the 4 doors and all the room it gives. You pay extra for the toyota quality but it's worth every penny!

so far, its awesome

ryanf, 03/22/2004

so far this truck is everything i wanted and more. Nothing bad to say about it. Everythings perfect.

2004 Toyota V6 Dble Cab 4X4

RRod, 03/24/2004

It is an excellent truck. Very nicely built, ver tough, beautiful from the inside and outside. It looks great. I traded my 99 White Corvette Convertible and honestly, I have not been disappointed. PS. I had previously purchased back in 97 a 97 Tacoma Extra Cab 4X4 and yes, I loved it.

Great truck

perryman, 03/25/2004

This is a good all around truck but a little pricey. The interior could use a little refinment and buy the way, who needs 4 cup holders up front? More storage would be the better option. Great power and competitive gas milage is a plus. Smooth family ride for five or mud boggin and hualin toys with the boys make for a great all around truck. Does anyone know what time it is? I Cant See The CLOCK!!

My Hunting Truck

PsychoJr, 06/16/2006

Love this vehicle! Bought as my hunting vehicle (my primary car is a Lexus LS) but use on the weekends as well. Heck, I end up driving it to work a lot too! Used to own a Tundra but like the smaller truck better. No complaints here. Reliability is excellent and off road use is great. Have taken it through lots of mud and water.

2x4, 4dr, V6 prerunner, Limited, TRD

camroc, 03/27/2004

I did tons of research before purchasing this truck. I've read almost every article I could find and I settled with this truck.. I test drove the Frontier but it didnt come close.. Got the truck almost 1200 dollars less than the TMV report at around 500 below invoice!!! I only have 100 miles on it and I'm loving this truck so far

4wd double cab limited

Hoss, 04/08/2004

I purchased a 2004 limited double cab 4wd for 24800. The off road capability is more than I expected, especially the low end torque in 4low. I am disappointed with the quality of the cruise control. The gas mileage is poor considering the size and weight of the truck. Overall I am very happy with my purchase. PS: the dealers have more room to work on the limiteds and stay away from the extra mile options $$$.

double cab 4wd

texagdoc, 04/08/2004

This has been a great little truck. It is easy to park. Has plenty of room for the kids. The 4wd is excellent. Its quiet on the road. The bed needs to be larger and it could use a little more power for towing.

New Mommy-mobile

Expymom, 04/25/2004

This truck is great for hauling kids, motorcycles & dogs which is something my Expedition couldn't do. Looks great and wears the "dependable" Toyota namebadge. Look forward to owning this truck for years and years to come.

Attention to Detail...I love my Tacoma

Chuckykhan, 04/27/2004

This truck is jun to drive. V6 provides plenty of power. I don't see why anyone would need this vehicle with 4WD unless you plan on driving up a rock hewn canyon. RWD is the best value and this truck will pull 6000lbs!!! Mine came with the deluxe tow hitch. This is my second Toyota in 8 months. I now own a 2004 Sienna and a 2004 Tacoma. Same color. Toyota is the best and most reliable. Hands down.

Great Vehicle, Absolutely outstanding

Roland Gutierrez, 05/05/2004

This truck is absolutely a joy to drive. I would definitely recommend it to anybody. Very comfortable, roomy, enjoyable and fun to drive.

Great Trucl

amoral63, 05/18/2004

cant really see the clock, hard to reach stereo,

Beat Truck I've bought so far

Finly, 05/24/2004

This truck is very comfortable driving and the exterior design is just what I like in my opinion. I would definitely buy another Toyota, to me this is quality. Am very happy with my purchase.The drive is smooth, quiet even on rough roads.

toyota wheeling

Ivandamn, 06/08/2004

Traded a f-350 diesal 4X4 and love this truck not nearly as hard to park. I could really keep up with all my freinds in the dunns now. test drove the fx4 ranger but liked the toyota alot better. went off-roading with both of them before i bought and liked the performance and gas mileage better than ford. they need to offer a standard model in the 4-doors TRD.

Solid Truck

NIKOKIRA11, 06/12/2004

Nothing bad to say about my tuck, works as advertised.

Tacoma Rules!

johnof, 07/06/2004

Great design in a powerful package. The 4 doors are perfect for the kids -- surprizingly spacious in the rear compared to the 2-door extended cab versions. No mechanical problems in almost a year. Mileage not bad for a 3.4 liter V6 with plenty of towing power.

Great Truck

99shark, 07/12/2004

I have owned Chevys, Fords, and Dodges, and none compare to this vehicle. Simply the best truck on the market.

I love my Tacoma!

Truckldy, 08/17/2004

I bought this truck in June of 2002, when they were still relatively new on the market. I love the sporty style and how it stands out in a crowd of other trucks. It now has 67,000 miles on it and I have never had a problem with it. If you are looking for a truck and still want to be able to take your kids with you... this is the one for you!

Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab

tom Barnett, 08/24/2004

After driving a Dodge Dakota for fours years I am proud to be back driving a Toyota. The quality is evident when you close the door.

Solid Truck

TRD Taco, 08/25/2004

I love this truck. All the negatives listed below are minor. Overall the truck is very solid and will be mine untill it dies in 15+ years

My Wife's Toy

Bigpapa G, 09/11/2004

I loved my 2003 so much I bought my wife one she said she wanted a Camry until she drove her new Tacoma. I also advised her that she would be going down a dirt road alot to pick up her grandson,now that her son moved back from California a couple a months ago.

Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner

Aplus, 09/10/2004

I have had the truck for about two months now and I love it. The quality and reliability greatly outweigh any negatives. This is the second Toyota in the family (2002 Sequoia) and I have never owned any car or truck that has been better made or has been as reliable.

Mystic Gold 2004 Tacoma

Toddles, 09/21/2004

What a great truck. Just recently traded in my 2002 Two-Door Tacoma for a 2004 Double Cab V6. Definately a great truck.. looks, styling, effcient engine... it has it all! I find myself wanting a second one even though I already have one!

My Halloweenie Double CAB, 4X4, V6

valentine, 10/14/2004

I love this truck its so fun to drive!!! Its a multi-purpose truck made for the young and young at heart.

2004_TACO

Jim_Bowman, 10/17/2004

Great Vehicle, Looked at other trucks and the tacoma was the best by far.

My truck

jfreckle15, 10/21/2004

This is the first new vehicle I have ever owned and I will never buy anything but a Toyota again. I have gone on several long (8hrs) trips in my truck and it is extremely comfortable. It gets great gas milage and the cruise control is easy to use. The ample amount of cup holders comes in handy during these trips as well as the tilt steering.

Toyota = QUALITY

harmsfarms, 10/31/2004

After a ten year hiatus from owning a truck I decided on the Double-Cab Tacoma w/ the TRD package and 4 cylinder engine. I feel the transmission is a little notchy at times, but overall a fine machine. Toyota has refined this platform to near perfection and it will continue to extend this level of buyer satisfaction through the next several decades.

wyo_taco

wyoming taco, 10/30/2004

Good quality,only 20mpg,cruise control is a joke,no foot room for big boots, underpowered,hard to wear coat in truck.

THE

Daniel Hedrick, 12/02/2004

This truck is bad ass! I love my Tacoma, it is the most fun to drive. I wish that I had a little bit of better fuel mileage, but it is all good to me!

What a truck!

Truck owner, 12/16/2004

Had several Chevys, one Mazda (really a Ford in Mazda clothing), and one Dodge Ram. This truck is the best of the lot. The fit and finish is amazing. Toyota builds the best. The interior is a little unfrendly, but after 1 year not a rattle or creak anywhere. No other manufacturer can say that, period. Gas mileage is slightly better than claimed, however my wife has a light foot, and we have never towed. Adapts well to the deserts on the west and the mountains on the east.

Ajax

a. Jones, 01/03/2005

Truck is high quality built and designed. Runs well with good responsive engine and smooth ride. All acessories are of good design, with exception of the clock placement. Solid construction with dependability throughout

Great Overall Truck!!

Dan, 08/05/2005

Have had this truck for nearly 2 years and just hit over 25K miles and it still runs perfectly. I've taken it all across Florida down to Key West 4 times from Gainesville. It can be a little uncomfortable after hours of driving, but it is a truck and not a luxury car. I get pretty good gas mileage 19-20 in the city and 22-23 on highway. It is perfect for someone who wants the versatility of a SUV and the drive of a car. I put the tonneau cover on and it makes it a giant waterproof, locked trunk with an increase in gas mileage. Once or twice the truck took a while to turn over when I started her up, but it hasn't been a problem. I wish the turning radius were better for a compact truck.

Sets a Standard for quality

AJAX, 08/21/2005

I bought this Prerunner double-cab in Feb. 2004. It has the V-6 engine. My mileage has steadly increased to 22 mpg. There should be more leg room in the back seat area. The quality is superior. After 31,000 miles everything works perfectly. This is my second Tacoma truck and I continue to be amazed at the reliability built into these trucks.

My First Truck

Hacksaw, 10/14/2005

I never wanted a pickup truck, but my wife always has these projects, and we needed a way to transport our supplies. We decided on the 4-door so we could use it like a car when traveling with friends. I'm a dedicated Toyota owner, so the Tacoma was an easy choice. Off-road this little truck is a performer. The ride is a little stiff, but once you load up the bed it smoothes right out. I got the Rhino liner, now I just need a cover to improve the gas milage.

My Small Truck

cromanxx, 05/03/2006

I use my truck for pleasure and work. I pull a 3 ton dump trailer with no problem. It handles well in snow but you must engage 4 wheel drive. I don't go off road, but the ride is fine considering its a truck. I've filled the bed with pavers & cement and the truck didn't flinch. It's a reliable and dependable vehicle. I only take it to the dealer for service. I put a cap on the bed and it looks great!

Perfect vehicle - double cab 4x4 TRD.

Brian, 02/07/2007

I needed a vehicle that can haul 4 people, tow a boat, fit on off-road mountain trails, go in the mud, haul firewood, and still get decent mileage. A full-size won't go where I need it to and 12-15 mpg isn't that appealing. Enter the Tacoma double cab 4x4 with TRD. I took my first trip with it last weekend. We travel with 2 dogs, 2 coolers, and 4 large totes. Our destination is a hunting cabin in the woods which requires traversing a couple miles of tight, rough trails that a full-size can't do without scratches and scrapes. Quite simply, I don't know of any other vehicle that could possible meet my needs any better than the 2004 Double Cab 4x4 w/ TRD.

No trouble

KREIN, 05/16/2008

I have had this truck for about 4 years. I changed the oil, brakes, tires, wiper blades and that's it. I never had to bring it in for any service. You will not see me at the dealer. Maybe for my next truck. I would drive the truck around the world today without worries. I hate to say it but, I would never buy anything other than toyota. The last one I had was going strong with over 250,000 miles. it was ugly but ran like a clock. The gas goes a little faster than they claim. You should also give the gas a chance to get to motor before you start cranking. sometimes if you jump right in and start cranking it may be a little ruff to start.

Awesome Truck

Brian P, 10/29/2019
4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Toyota pickup trucks are basically bulletproof the hard working durable truck's dont quit. They just keep going and going 300k 400k. Toughest truck made 🌝

51050