Used 2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan Consumer Reviews - 57 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Decent, but disappointed
By Jim

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this minivan in 2001. Our first choice was a Honda Odyssey, but in that year Hondas were so in demand we'd have to order one and wait. The Toyota Sienna has been a decent alternative. We have traveled across the country with it and it has never broken down. It has issues, however. Among them are the engine light and low tire inflation light constantly going on and annoying little repairs (struts, CV joints, shocks, and assorted other annoyances) such that I generally have to sink $2000 every two years into the thing to keep it going. Most recent repair bill in April '08 was just under $2000. Brakes seem to need to be replaced often.

Performance, acceleration, comfort, versatility with seating, and fuel economy.

Do something about those dummy lights! Very annoying. I heard about Toyota reliability, and while it's not as bad as our former Pontiac minivan, I'm disappointed with the number and cost of repairs. Over $5,000 in repairs the last 3 years. Kinda expensive if you ask me.

Minor Issues only at 210,000 KM
By Joey

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought one new in 2000. Currently at 210,000 KM (130,000 miles) Have replaced brake pads once at 120,000 km. Other than that only regular maintenance. Driver side power window motor sounds like a bearing is worn. Kids are older, probably will sell it and get a smaller more fuel efficient vehicle. Paid 29,000 CAD in 2000, can sell easily now for about 8,000. No complaints here, obviously.

Reliability, comfort, looks.

Great Car!
By Dagwood55

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our '01 Sienna new in June of '02. No problems with it at all. I tested several other minivans and was astonished at the power of the 3.0L V6 in this car and that's the principal reason I bought it. It also impressed as being quiet, comfortable and solid. After 62K miles, it's just as quiet as the day we bought it. We've gotten 26mpg on many long trips, which seems good for a van. Excellent features and sound system. The driver's side electric mirror has become a little balky and the power door needs a minor adjustment. NO other problems. Our experience with this has led us to buy two more Toyotas since, which are also great cars.

It's very, very quiet. Standing near it you can hardly tell it's running until the fan kicks in. Far less engine noise than a neighbor's much newer Chrysler minivan. Extremely comfortable seating. Like the adjustable rear seats for adjusting passenger comfort/luggage room.

Tires wear more quickly than I like. I get, at most, 40K miles. Significant understeer. Both acceptable for a 3900lb minivan but improvement would be nice. Heat is a bit slow to come on and, if the A/C could be disabled in defroster mode, that would be nice.

Toyota Sienna - Excellent mini van
By Satisfied consumer

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Drives like a car. Purchased for its reliability and safety rating. I wanted something safe for passengers (children in the car.) It has lived up to all expectations in terms of comfort, performance and reliability. We are on the highways a lot here - no complaints about acceleration. Excellent turning radius. After five years, still like the way it looks, inside and out.

Comfort. 2 side sliding doors. Easy to use rear door.

Deeper cup holders. Newer models have added side passenger drop down air bag curtains, all wheel drive, backing up sensors, seats that fold flush with the floor, GPS (although I haven't read how their system compares to Magellan, and are roomier, etc.) Another desired feature: hybrid fuel capacity.

A quiet, refined vehicle
By H. KESTNER

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is an excellent vehicle, the best I've owned in 40 years of driving. It is responsive to a fault...no sag, no pause...just a nice smooth flow of power and control.

Quiet, quiet, quiet plus a drive train response that is silky. Its a minivan but acts like a sedan.

The latest models have "fold into the floor" rear seats...a major improvement from my 2001 "lug-it-out" design.