Used 2014 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

Used RAV4 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...9

Pros
Cons

Drivers seat lumbar support?

usnftcret, 03/31/2015
XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have the 2014 RAV4 XLE. The drivers seat lumbar support hurts my back. There is no adjustment on the XLE model, why? This is my 5th new Toyota and I have not had this issue before. My only other issue is the lack of a power lift for the rear hatch on the XLE as an option.

A Good Choice!

Ross, 07/30/2017
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Some reviews on here are a little unfair as they complain about lack of features. I know some of these features are on competitors entry level SUV's. But these people complaining should have paid a little extra to get the Limited version which has the interior rear hatch release, (4) cup holders in the back seats, power drivers seat, back up camera, etc. Front seat is comfortable for me at 6' 1" and 200lbs. The only small complaint I have is the instrument layout is awkward and sometimes the shifting is noticeable when the air-conditioning is on. Overall I expect to get 3 to 4 hundred thousand out of this vehicle with very little problems, as I have with my other Toyotas.

Very Let down!

chrisg48, 01/26/2015
XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We are a Toyota family having owned 6 cars and a truck but this car has really let us down. The gas milage is terrible. We average 22 and the best we have gotten is 24 on a trip to Florida. The seats are uncomfortable and the back seats have no cup holders or a power outlet. 4 adults fill this thing to the brim. There is no button inside or on the key fob to open the lift gate. It is an option that must be paid for extra. One would think this would be standard on the XLE edition. The touch screen is hard to use and the navigation will not let you make any changes unless the car is in Park. The car does ride and drive smooth but that doesn't make up for the other downfalls.

Almost a great car

Walter, 02/06/2017
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We don't drive much so we only have about 6800 miles on our 2014 RAV4. Here are the impressions. 1) Handling low speed is great. Nimble and quick. On the highway it's downright dangerous. Wanders aimlessly with no road feel. Best snow driving car ever, though! And we have had Jeeps 'forever'. 2) Brakes are terrible but dealer says 'normal'. As you come to a rolling stop, like a traffic light, the pedal suddenly drop about an inch or more. You react by pumping to brake to restore height. 3) Transmission shift great up and down. CVT is impressive. 4) Interior issues include a) the silly armrest slides back and forth about 100 times a day when driving or getting in/out; b) Like most, the backup camera is pretty much worthless during the day/great at night. Also, the angle of the screen forces the driver to lean to passenger seat to view clearly day or night. 5) Radio is very poor. Turns on, Changes stations or modes or even volume by itself. Even if you are not touching the steering wheel at all. Dealer says 'normal'. 6) Great for little people but sucks if you are tall. Getting in/out a challenge and, because there is no tilt function on the steering wheel, you smash your knees every time. 7) Annoyances include: a) Cheaped out idea to use the same switch on driver/passenger door locks saved them 10 cents but make it tough to use since lock functions are opposite on passenger door; b) Downright silly programming on the rear hatch lift. And poor button placement too. Needs an exact set of circumstances to allow open/close. b) Also silly programming n the chime alerts. You'll spend lots of time trying to figure out what it wants and getting it to shut up is often a multi-person game.; c) Information screen is worthless and tiny. d) Seat belt attachment point is too low. You spend a lot of time just trying to get it high enough to connect. e) Supports for power liftgate are out pretty far. Be prepared to whack your head often if taller. New iisues: water flowing in around windshield. 2018 Update: I figured out the screwy radio issues: system remembers even passive steering wheel button contact EVEN WHEN CAR IS OFF. Then, when you turn he car on, it starts going thru button command you may have accidentally hit while exiting the car. Very strange. Just try and replace the rear wiper. All blade manufzcturers show their blades fit. They do not. Toyota wants you to buy from them alone for big $$$$.

A bunch of 4's

billiebad, 10/08/2014

1500 miles and three weeks since purchase. Black with Terra Cotta - I like the interior colors versus all black. Just finished a road trip. Milage since purchase 26.8 - estimate highway at close to published 29. It is not a race car but I knew that. Wanted the range of milage we are getting. Enjoy the wide storage in the rear. Better than competition. Front seat comfort is good - visibility is good using mirrors. Interior style is appealing. Challenges - none of which would change my decision. No Homelink - even in Limited trim. Didn't realize and would like. No rain sensing wipers - spoiled with this on another vehicle - and had a very rainy road trip.

12345...9