Used 2009 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Great little car.
By Bob Cahoon

2009 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Air conditioning in a hot climate like in Arizona could be a bit more robust. When we bought the car, we took advice of dealer and had leather seats installed which may be more durable and comfortable than the factory seats. Headlights could be better when turning corners. Light does not go out to side enough. Had to replace the instrument panel screen, but it was under warranty.

Great Economy Car
By G Honey

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Reliable and comfortable

Peaceful and Content
By Phillip

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First owned new vehicle ever. Absolutely flawless vehicle never had any trouble the only thing that needed to be replaced was the belt and the oil and the air filters. I departed my vehicle at 177,000 miles only because I had to upgrade to a larger car. Very sad day.

Great Car - Bought Used
By silver7577@aol.com

2009 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Didn't know much about a hybrid before but now have a great respect for them. But not all hybrids are worth the money but this one is in this writer's opinion. Love to jump in and run my errands and even take it on longer trips. (1st review)
After having the car for nearly 3 yrs, can't say my opinion has changed much. It's still an awesome little car and as time goes on, and running into other Prius owners and drivers, their feelings are the same, we love the little cars. Gas mileage is great. Maintenance is very little. Other than oil and filter changes, I have replaced the small battery in it. But once in 8 yrs, who can complain?? I now have roughly 51K miles on it and before too long, I may look into replacing spark plugs and checking brakes, etc. However, as far as driving the car goes, I can not tell, it needs anything at this time. Tune ups are sometimes overlooked until plugs are badly burnt and cars are running very rough.

Magnificent, but Dreadfully Boring
By Bob Sandon

2009 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have put approximately 143,000 miles on this car. I bought it new. Oil changes with premium synthetic every 25,000 miles; otherwise, no service (except changing out tires). I've only had to replace the electric-system battery (pay someone to do this; it's a nightmare on your own).

Pros: Reliability, obviously. There is also more storage space than many people realize, especially with the seats down. Two shepherds fit comfortably in the trunk; I've made several moves with this car. The mileage has been good, especially with Ecotopia tires. I live in Minnesota; I averaged around ~53 mpg during the summer with them. I have Toyos right now; year round mileage with them has been ~43 mpg, mostly highway driving. The car is comfortable and quiet at lower speeds. I like the sound system and have found the GPS adequate. The keyless entry is surprisingly nice; I wish it had remote start.

Cons: While the car while tolerate higher speeds (65 mph +), it's obviously unenthusiastic. The mileage dips fairly dramatically in the winter, or with inefficient tires. For that matter, snow tires are well-nigh essential in Minnesota with this car. All-season will not hack it, especially in rural areas. Mostly, though, this car is boring. Really boring. Eye-wateringly so. A fantastic daily commuter, but - if you can only have one car in your stable - I'd have to recommend something else.