Used 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius Plug-in model:

Great Car
By Jethro Bodine

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Most reliable car you can buy. No problems except for navigation failure and cruise control failure covered by extended warranty. EPA estimate of 95 is a useless figure. By charging regularly I get 80 MPG with between 9 and 11 miles on a charge or 3.4 MPkillowatt. Car is very quiet but backup noise should be done away with for about $90. Cruise control should default to be on but you must actually turn it on before setting. This can be a safety hazard as when you think you set cruise and it is still off car will slow down unexpectantly. This is a design defect. My advice would be to make turning on cruise control when you start car a habit. Gas lid open is in a spot where it is easy to open accidently. Oil change only required every 10,000 miles with 5,000 maintenance intervals. Overall this is a great car. If you think you will save money on gas you are correct but the cost of electricity to charge does away with most of that savings. Car inside is bigger than it look outside. Brakes are great. And except as noted above no additional maintenance outside of maintenance schedule. Original tires only got 37,000 miles before they needed replacing.

Perfectly Boring for the long haul
By Lovely Jubbly June

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hatchback Advanced 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A few aftermarket upgrades make the prius plugin advanced a longterm ownership go from a blessing to an even better blessing: subwoofer under passenger seat, sway bar/strut bar/midchassis brace, minor soundproofing, spare tire for long trips, loud horn, tinted windows. Best car!... Perfectly boring!
Update July 2017: hit 84k miles recently. Car drives as smooth and trouble free as usual. Occasional glitch with Bluetooth from my phone. Either restarting phone or car, or combo of both resolves this.
Got rear ended on Mother's Day- the Mazda3 that hit me had bad visible damage - the Prius headrest prevented worse injuries to my neck, my back is still going through rough times, the car sustained more internal body damage than ugly, external body damage. Car drove fine even after accident and is still in the body shop currently. Compared to my loaner, I really miss the Prius!!!

Fast forward to July 2018. I’ve hit 110k miles and have since upgraded shocks to Koni FSD and increased soundproofing with strategically placed pieces of Dynamat. This car is a joy to drive and is a sleeper on the road. Can keep up and out corner the best of them. Paint is holding up with great shine, eco friendly seating material looks new and fresh, plastic on dash which is eco friendly also is easy to clean and looks like new.

Partner just got a 2016 Camry SE Hybrid and loves it - feels like a higher quality hybrid, but I enjoy the modest feel of the Prius, still.
Be realistic about what a car is for and this will become one of your favorites, too.

Real world experience with the Prius Plug in.
By rckcjc3

I have a 4 mile work commute and often drive 15 miles to Portland on weekends, so my driving is a mix of city and some hwy. Late this summer I averaged 105 MPG across three fill ups. I have seen my milage down to 65 MPG city during the winter with lots of heater and defroster use. On an extended trip accross the state, I averaged 52 MPG hwy - just as advertised.
I have two 2012 Prius Plug in's and have spent $1200 less on gasoline during the first year than we did owning two Corollas so the savings is very real.
Our electricity bill has only gone up $15 per month charging 2 cars, though some savings is achieved there with our Solar panels. Figure about 25-30 cents to charge at PDX rates.

Love the great gas milage. A couple of things that Toyota doesn't advertise well: If you drive down a very long grade the regenerative braking may charge both the Prius and the EV batteries - giving you a couple bonus EV miles at the bottom of the grade. Also, with the ECO/EV/power buttons you can dial up or down the point where the gas engine kicks in. In ECO it is easier to stay in EV mode. When you press the power button, you can get the horsepower you need to pass, etc.

It seems a bit harder to see behind you in the Prius than it did in the 2005 corolla. I put extra mirrors on the driver side to better see the blind spot. Also, the stereo system is not very friendly with after market USB cables. I had to experiment before finding just the right cable for my iPod.

This car is a utility
By mingomatic

I love this car for many reasons. It just makes logical sense. It's reliable, it doesn't depreciate that much, it's safe, and no one steals this car because hybrids and electric car parts are in low demand and hard to interchange with other cars.

In terms of electric features, I don't use it nearly as much as I should because I don't have a charger at home and as much as SoCal supports electric vehicles, I still don't have many use cases where I'm charging in public.

I've owned a BMW in the past and I have to say, it's nowhere near as luxurious, but at the same time, I don't have to worry about it breaking down or having a costly repair.

I have the Advanced model which gives you the ability to see your charge on your iPhone app or start your climate in your car remotely from your car. You can also locate your car using the app which is pretty cool. I also have heads up display which seems redundant since the speedometer is in the center of the dash pretty close to it. However, the other day, I turned off HUD, and I found myself wanting to turn it on again. Aside from that, it comes with most of the features of another Prius such as detailed info and your standard amenities which is pretty useful. For the most part, it's pretty ergonomic and designed to be pretty useful.

It would be nice if it came with a sunroof or some other options of other Prii, that would be nice. I know the Plug-In is trying to economize even more so the weight is important to get down the MPG, but it leaves it a little short on some options I wish it had.

Stick with the base Prius or go with a Leaf or Focus for EV
By wheatonr

At first when I bought this car I was super excited about being able to run in all electric mode.
Sadly this mode is a downer.
It states you will get up to 15 miles (recently rerated to 11 miles).
I don't know of any day that i receive more then 7 miles.
If you live in the Northeast you will be lucky to even be able to use the EV mode in the winter months.
I switch to a Focus EV which is all EV and although it does have problems with the cold weather it at least still can run in EV mode.
With the Prius as soon as you turn on your AC or Heater you switch to the standard hybrid mode.

It has a great roomy interior. I would suggest going with a standard Prius and save a ton of money.

Needs to have a lot more range to be worth any money. Also needs to be designed to handle working in the cold. If you are in the Northeast you are lucky to be able to get the EV mode to run.