Skip to main content

Used Highlander for Sale
Select your model:
12345...28

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Spacious cabin and features for the little ones!

Rustin Shakelford, 12/19/2016
LE 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

This is the only vehicle I've ever owned that I've enjoyed more than my '69 El Camino. The roominess is perfect to those long drives to Florida from Virginia and the suspension seems incredibly smooth. Also, it has 5 USB chargers which judging by the lack of bickering between my grand kids, is a great thing for keeping them pre occupied on their I-Andriods and bluetooth players. The engine is also smooth as silk and has the peppiness I need when pulling out into Florida traffic (people drive like animals)!

Wow!

Chris, 03/25/2017
updated 04/26/2021
XLE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

We traded in our beloved 2007 Highlander for the 2017 because we needed the higher tow capacity. Wow, wow, wow! We feel enveloped in luxury and comfort. The 2017 has a much steadier ride, top quality materials and is more comfortable and roomy. We owned the Sport version previously because I hated the sloppy body roll on the regular 2007 Highlander. The XLE 2017 has a more responsive ride and corners better, it is much smoother and steadier overall and all of the seats are roomier and very comfortable. Love the telescoping steering wheel, front shelf and pop-up hatch window, too. I am struggling with the new technology, but learning to love and appreciate it fast. The Stop Start system works really well once you get the hang of how and when to use it and is almost undetectable in use. Some of the climate controls are not intuitive (update-after owning this vehicle for one month...I am STILL struggling with the climate controls...only thing I can complain about really) and wondering why MPH not digitally displayed. Hoping this new Highlander is as reliable as our 2007! I am 5'6" husband is 6'5" and we both find it very comfortable, my husband can't stop raving about this vehicle either. Wow! Look forward to every drive now! Update: No issues after a summer of driving and towing. Towing is strong and steady. 1 year update - Vehicle is great, no problems about 10,000 miles. Handles snow and ice superb, my old Highlander did not. Also the 4wd button option has been used numerous times and worked perfectly for the situation for us. EnTune is the only consistent headache for me. It doesn't always work well with my phone/Pandora accounts and I have to reconnect constantly (no Pandora music if I don't). Small issue with rear bumper 'melting' in a small spot near exhaust - Toyota is replacing at no charge. We love the vehicle, it is perfect for our lifestyle of mountain biking, camping, hauling dogs around for hikes and bikes.....2 year update-vehicle running great. No issues.

Growing Appreciation and Satisfaction

Jim, 05/20/2017
updated 11/26/2017
XLE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

Bought this car as a downsize. Traded in my 17 mpg Sequioia. This car is MUCH smaller, much easier to drive, and much more "car like". This is my second review. The car is roughly 5 months old & has 3600 miles. No mechanical problems thus far. The ride is comfortable. The front & middle seats are very spacious and comfortable. The dashboard display is clear & intuitive. Ride comfort is very good, but to be fair, roads where I live are very smooth. Those who have criticized this car's acceleration are misguided. We drive with the car in "eco" mode. Acceleration is MORE THAN ADEQUATE!!!! Step on the gas, and the car moves. Overall mileage has been spot on EPA estimates: roughly 22 mpg, with a bias of 65% to 75% city driving. As for highway mileage, we took our first "semi-long" highway drive the other day, 300 miles round trip, 95% highway driving, set the cruise control at 68 mpg, and realized 28.4 mph upon fill up. So, a 290 hp 3 row SUV, with full time all wheel drive, with air conditioning running the whole time, returned 28.4 mpg over a 300 mile trip. Need I say anymore about fuel efficiency? Pretty impressive, in my opinion. If this car holds up like previous Toyotas, it's a no brainer, and should be on anyone's short list of 3 row. mid-sized SUVs. 11 months and 9,000 into ownership, we have only grown to appreciate this car more.

4 out of 5 stars

5 out of 5 stars

Best 3 row SUV in its class!

CB, 02/19/2017
XLE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

I can't stop raving about my new Highlander! I saw the Pilot and MDX at the dealers and read a lot about the other competitors, Explorer, Traverse, Acadia, etc. It has more standard features than the base level MDX or even a comparable Pilot - for example, to get the 2nd row Captain's Chairs in the Pilot you have to go to the highest trim level or to get the Honda Sensing safety features you have to pay 1,000, also Navigation is extra (at least on the EX-L). I love all the standard safety features that are included in the Toyota (collision mitigation, lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, etc.) and it comes with optional Captain's Chairs (which are very comfortable) on the XLE. Yes, the 3rd row seating is smaller than the Pilot but we don't intend to use it that often and when we do it will be mainly for children so that was not a big issue for us. The rear seat cargo room when the 3rd row is up is smaller than the Pilot but again, we don't anticipate that being a big issue and I believe it is bigger than the other cars in this class. The fuel economy is what you would expect for a car of this size and weight. I did not get the AWD on purpose because we don't need it and it just adds expense, but having said that, finding a FWD was very hard - I call my car the "unicorn" because it was so hard to find. I look forward to driven this car every time I get into it!

4 out of 5 stars

1 out of 5 stars

Transmission Failure at 8,253 Miles - Lemon!

Jay, 01/20/2018
updated 08/02/2019
XLE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

Update: we received a refund after a very long process with the National Center for Dispute Settlement. After a unanimous decision by arbitration board, Toyota was required to repurchase the vehicle under the Minnesota Lemon Law. We purchased a new 2017 Highlander XLE after comparing it to several other vehicles in it's class. Toyota touts quality and safety features as their biggest sales pitch, seems it's there every time we turn on a tv. The transmission problem occurred at 8,253 miles, lucky for my wife, she was at a red light when the transmission failed and nobody was injured. The vehicle was hauled to local Toyota dealer on a flatbed & sat at the dealership for 52 days. We were told by dealer that a "new" transmission was back-ordered from California. After picking up the vehicle I noticed the workorder stated: "part number 30510-48600-84 REMAN ATM and CORE RETURN". Remanufactured parts should not be used to repair a brand new vehicle under factory warranty, which hasn't seen it's first oil change. The day after picking it up I drove the vehicle and very excessive power train noise was present. Vehicle went back the the shop & they replaced both front wheel bearings at 8,392 miles and it sat in the shop another 3 days. Neither one of these repairs should occur on any new vehicle or a vehicle under 100,000 for that matter. Toyota Corporate has been less than helpful & we're currently going through the lemon law process. Toyota has lost another long time customer, if I could rate the 2017 Highlander 0 stars I would.

1 out of 5 stars