2017 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Saved My Life
By Jean

2017 Toyota Highlander LE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

We have owned 3 Highlanders. My last was a 2014 Highlander LE FWD. I was in a headon collision a week ago and this vehicle saved my life. State troopers and DOT officers told my family that this vehicle did everything it could do to save my life and it surpassed that. I am alive with bumps and bruises, but all air bags deployed and curtains. I feel that if I would of had the grandkids with me I think that they would of survived also with the safety features that this vehicle provides. The impact speed they thought was in excess of 135MPH. We will be owning another Toyota Highlander in the near future. Know your safety features before buying.

Not at all what I expected.
By MAC

2017 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

Engineering flaws? The seat adjustments were far better in my '08 Rav4. Water pools above doors and drenches you when entering and exiting after a rain. The second row rear seats should have been designed to fold flat. The GPS system is awful. Why hasn't Apple Carplay been incorporated? The rear hatch traps incredible amounts more dirt, so much so that it can fall into the vehicle. Child locks are disengaged and people in rear still can't get out. Can't open rear hatch unless car is off. Power mode cannot be set as a default. Don't trust the auto high beams. Near accident from false braking from cars that already exited "straight" on a curved highway. Transmision can kick between gears in light acceleration. Large right blindspot from large side mirror. There are several more flaws but I don't have the memory and time to mention them.

Bad Wheels & Driver's Seat
By Ken

2017 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

1. The XLE and Platinum have chrome wheels. The Limited has ChromeTec wheels (plastic wheel covers bonded to the rim). I scuffed a concrete side divider backing out of a parking spot and it peeled a 4" srip off the wheel. It looks like heavy tin foil. 2. At the price of the Limited the driver's seat should slide back when you shut off the engine, it does not. I love this SUV other than these 2 things, but I would have upgraded to the Platinum had I knew about the wheels.

Transmission x TWO
By Cincym4a2

2017 Toyota Highlander XLE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

7000 miles first transmission went out. Replaced at mo cost. Add 7000 ish more miles and new transmission is also bad. I have always owned a Toyota. Drop the 🎤 on this one!

2017 Toyota Highlander XLE AWD
By Ken Francois

2017 Toyota Highlander XLE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

I traded in our 2016 Toyota Highlander LE Plus FWD vehicle on this SUV. The XLE provided the AWD capability we needed after moving to Colorado. The XLE also provided some additional features such as all-weather mats (necessary in snow country), leather-like seats and a sunroof. I received $26000 from the dealer on our 2016 Highlander with over 40K miles. I would recommend buying this vehicle.